• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCS 5000, Scott A407, T516

MTaylor

Member
1. MCS Digital 5000 Stereo; turntable and tape player with huge speakers
2. Scott amp A407 and tuner T516

I will be picking up these items from a CL poster in my area this week. She is cleaning out her mother's house and is handing them off to me. I am very stoked because I love Scott gear. I already have an HH Scott Amp (480A) and the tuner that came with it. I'm very attached to them as they sound fantastic.

However, I know nothing about MCS gear. From what I have gathered here on AudioKarma and the rest of the 'net this gear was sold at JCPenny. I believe the 5000 series is all black and probably not the best quality. I have heard mixed reviews on the speakers. I will just have to see what they sound like when I get them.

I recently purchased a pair of Bose 601 Series II speakers. I ordered the foam replacements and have removed the old foam. Once they are done, would they be a bad match for the Scott A407? Probably need more power... The 480A I have is connected to a pair of Realistic Mach II's. They hit hard.

I am reluctant to connect the Bose speakers to a modern amp. Anytime I try to fudge around with newer receivers it sounds horrible compared to my Scott amp.

Thanks for any input,
Matthew
 
Register to hide this ad
The Scotts are really a nice set and with an appropriate pair of speakers makes for nice music. They do not seem to get the notice they could but diring the period Scott seemd to be trying to crawl back up to its former glory but few seemed to take notice.

Know nothing about MCS.
 
MCS was a house brand that was made by Technics. Some people on this site claim they deliver very good performance and are sleepers. Never own a MCS system myself.
 
What is the exact model number of the MCS amp? I may have the specs for you here in my pile 'o catalogs.

edit - oops...is there an MCS amp involved? lol. Anyway - any model numbers will help. I may have the pieces in my catalogs.
 
Last edited:
MCS was a house brand that was made by Technics. Some people on this site claim they deliver very good performance and are sleepers. Never own a MCS system myself.

Hi AnalogDigit - A handful of the pieces they sold under the MCS name were, in a word, killer. Many others were ok, and some were absolute doo-doo.

Technics made many of their TT's, cassette decks, and speakers. Other companies also built gear to their specs - CEC, BIC, NEC, Sanyo, Itol, and some others.

I kind of like to hear blanket statements that allude to the BPC factor of all MCS stuff.. That leaves the few pieces that I hunt for on no one's radar.

That being said - I'm pretty sure the pieces the OP is getting are not too good. The Digital Series came after MCS started going downhill - fast. If the color of the "MCS" letters is greenish blue, it's not a good sign (unless it's a 3872 Integrated amp).

Rob
 
MCS Series A were some of their better digital series receivers from the early 80s. There were a few hefty integrateds over 100wpc as late as the late 1980s. The 3050 tuner is one of the few AM stereo units available.
 
MCS Series A were some of their better digital series receivers from the early 80s. There were a few hefty integrateds over 100wpc as late as the late 1980s. The 3050 tuner is one of the few AM stereo units available.

Hi yrly - I should have been more clear. I was referring to the Digital 5000 series. The SeriesA line was VERY good. I have the 3285 receiver and the 3590 cassette deck - both top notch. Most people won't put up with the 3285s styling - and that's a shame - they're missing out on a great sounding receiver.

The 3872 integrated amp had great specs - 110wpc with less than 0.009% THD. I'd like to hear one to compare it (and some other later high power units) to the earlier pieces.

Do you know who made the later rack systems for them? I know that their best 1987-88? system included an EQ that was a re-badged Technics, as was the drawer loaded CD changer. I don't know who made their magazine style CD changers (although it looked like a Kenwood). Other than those, I kind of stopped looking at MCS after 1986.

Rob
 
That I'm not sure of, most of my 80s vintage taste is in integrated amps and CD players, but I have run across very few from later than 1985 or so around here.

I have a 3872 and it was the one I was thinking of last night. and 3870, the 72 is nicely made for the timeframe but nothing great to look at. I have only demoed it with test speakers but it sounded otherwise fine. I think the 3872 was the line that the 3050 tuner came out of as well, I have a complete matched rack system downstairs with a 3050 and 3070 as well as several 3050s. Matched system has what looks to be rebadged Technics EQ but I'm pretty sure NEC was behind the other stuff in this line. Some of the Digital 5000 series tuners look to be of the same manufacturer, probably NEC.

When it comes to 80s look at the build quality. Heft the unit. Thats the rule. I once almost passed on this ugly Sanyo integrated, at Goodwill, based on cosmetics and its a Dual Mono design inside.

I have several MCS things, here in the bedroom I have the 3125, 6801 Series A CD player, and one of the 3050 tuners should an AM stereo station grace the airwaves.
 
I've always wanted to complete my SeriesA set with the 8290 tower honeycomb speakers, the 6730 TT, and (of course) the uber rare 6801 CD player with pitch control. I can easily live without those speakers and the linear tracking TT, but I do want the CD player. Please don't tell me that it plays CD-Rs.........lol

I prefer the styling and build quality of the 78-79 NEC built separates. I would like to test drive a 3125 just for fun, but really don't need something that big. But what a showpiece! I'd have to build a special rack just to support a receiver that size.

Rob
 
Last edited:
The 6801 is an early Technics player for all intents and purposes, only difference is styling. Mine was made in July 1984, actually I was using it up until a few minutes ago.

It is built mostly with discrete stuff inside (at least compared to later units) and fairly heavy with a good solid feel. It feels like you could take a hammer to the tray, not those flimsy ones that followed later. Pitch control is a relatively useless gimmick unless you were trying to do your own mixing or something. I love the noises it makes in it cues up a CD like all the old CD players did.

Mine likely had low hours of use as its VFD is still bright and crisp.
 
I just want one because it would match my other two pieces so well. See pic. The 3590 cassette deck was simply a rebadged Technics RS-M245X.

My first CD player was the Technics version of the MCS 6802. It was NOT a quality piece - lol - but did have a remote. I would imagine the 6801 was built like a tank. My specs for it say it weighs 13.4 lbs. - a good bit more than the cassette deck.

Rob
 

Attachments

  • SeriesA002.jpg
    SeriesA002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom