• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MDA200 internal pics for those interested.

audiobliss

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The top cover rang like a bell when you tapped on it, so I decided to add some damping, and I was curious to see the inside anyway.
I committed the sin of not buying from an authorized dealer, so not worried about voiding any warranty.
So here is what you get for four grand plus taxes if you buy from a dealer.
I watched a dealer add on Youtube that claimed it has the same analog stage as the C53, not sure how accurate that is, but it does sound wonderful as a preamp.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1187.jpeg
    IMG_1187.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 92
Register to hide this ad
I think the size of the McIntosh box and layout makes things look like you're getting much less, than in a smaller stuffed box that most other manufacturers use.
 
I think the size of the McIntosh box and layout makes things look like you're getting much less, than in a smaller stuffed box that most other manufacturers use.
Exactly. McIntosh likes to keep the overall width of their components consistent. It's what the majority of their customers want. Touch the top of this one after a couple hours of work and compare to one with a small box stacked board layout and you'll notice another difference.
 
Last edited:
How about a $10k DAC with hardly anything under the hood as well.

But I've heard/owned it for a while. Best DAC I've every heard (long story why I don't own it anymore). Folks will also gasp that a $10k DAC uses a SMPS :eek:

Meitner MA3
1021meit.ins.jpg
 
Schitt Yggdrasil+

Approximately $1,500 less expensive, modular, and also made in the USA.

Power Supply: two transformers (one for digital supplies, one for analog supplies) plus one input choke for discrete, dual mono, shunt-regulated analog +/-24V supply, plus 12 or more separate local regulated supplies for DACs and digital sections, including high-precision, low-noise LM723 regulation in critical areas.
yggyplus-internal-1920-2.jpg

Audio Research DAC 9

fig-3-audio-research-dac-review.jpg

Balanced Audio Technology Rex 3

BAT_Rex_3_DAC_Silver_Inside.jpg

Nagra HD DAC

NagraHD-DAC.jpg
 
I built a DAC in the early ‘80s, .. a couple of Burr-Brown chips and a power supply, wasn’t really that complicated. The rest is fluff.

Just my opinion of course.
 
They surely give a little more for a lot more money. I wonder if they sound a lot more great.
I doubt it.

Read my reply again. The Schiit DAC I shared is around $1,500 less expensive. The ARC DAC 9 is in the same cost range as the flagship McIntosh D1100. The D1100 doesn't have much more inside the box than the MDA200. The BAT and Nagra are a couple of examples of what the inside of a real high end DAC looks like.
 
They surely give a little more for a lot more money. I wonder if they sound a lot more great.
I doubt it.
As they say, doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. In other words, you'll never really know unless you try them.
 
Read my reply again. The Schiit DAC I shared is around $1,500 less expensive. The ARC DAC 9 is in the same cost range as the flagship McIntosh D1100. The D1100 doesn't have much more inside the box than the MDA200. The BAT and Nagra are a couple of examples of what the inside of a real high end DAC looks like.
Don't tell them how much the BAT and Nagra cost. Not for weak hearts. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom