• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Memorial Day..........

chillwolf

"Play 'em off!"
Memorial Day is both a happy and sad holiday. I'm happy because I live in a country that affords us so much freedom. Then I feel sad for all those who paid the ultimate price to preserve that freedom.
Please remember all those that gave their all, on Mon. May 30th and enjoy your holiday with your family, friends and relatives.

FH100006.jpg


Picture taken with a Minolta 5000 SLR film camera.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yup - I'll be going down to put Red, White and Blue flowers and a flag at my father's grave this weekend. He was a WW2 Navy Seabee. Mom gets pink roses.
 
THANK YOU to all the men and women.....past and present.....who put on a uniform and walked away from their homes and loved ones, to defend our homeland.

Steve
 
Memorial Day May 30,2011

........." all those who paid the ultimate price to preserve that freedom.
Please remember all those that gave their all, on Mon. May 30th and enjoy your holiday with your family, friends and relatives."................
-Chillwolf

A BIG "AMEN" TO THAT BROTHER!

I ALWAYS GIVE THANKS TO GOD FOR OUR COUNTRY AND THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED AND DEFENDED IT FOR WHAT IT STANDS FOR AND TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE PAID THE ULTIMATE SACRAFICE FOR FREEDOM.
BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET DOWN TO IT 'FREEDOM' REALLY ISN'T GIVEN, ITS PAID WITH LIVES!:tears:
 
Last edited:
........." all those who paid the ultimate price to preserve that freedom.
Please remember all those that gave their all, on Mon. May 30th and enjoy your holiday with your family, friends and relatives."................
-Chillwolf

A BIG "AMEN" TO THAT BROTHER!

I ALWAYS GIVE THANKS TO GOD FOR OUR COUNTRY AND THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED AND DEFENDED IT FOR WHAT IT STANDS FOR AND TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE PAID THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE FOR FREEDOM.
BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET DOWN TO IT 'FREEDOM' REALLY ISN'T GIVEN, ITS PAID WITH LIVES!:tears:

How true R-2-R, I have a T-shirt that says "Freedom Isn't Free!"
 
My father passed away in 1998 and is buried in northern Michigan, 5 hours north of me. Every Memorial Day there is a service at the cemetary with color guard, 21 gun salute, local trumpeters playing taps, etc. The VFW or some such organization adorns all the graves of vets with flags, too. We attended the first 10 years or so and those are some of the only times my kids have seen me cry. My grandfather and great grandfather are buried there, along with many uncles and great uncles. All have stars and stripes flying except my great grandfather, who has a maple leaf.

I missed the last two for financial and scheduling reasons. This year, my son and I will make the trip. Going along are my niece and her new husband, who never knew my dad or anyone else buried there. I feel bad about missing those years, but I feel good about starting another streak.

Have a safe and thoughtful weekend everybody.
 
Time to bump this up.

Thank you to all of those who have served and given so we may enjoy those freedoms we have today. Your sacrifices have not gone unnoticed.

Bless you all.
 
yep, we owe so much to our veterans. I hope there is a special place for all those who gave their lives so we can enjoy ours.
 
My Old Man is still kicking, he served in Austria and Japan in the big one. Thanks to all our men and women in uniform that make it possible for me to lay my head down and sleep every night while they are keeping watch. There is as much evil in the world today as there ever has been, but our troops seem to take it in stride. America's best, that's who they are.
 
This year, my son and I will make the trip.

Glad to hear it and I hope you had a good trip.

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty since by a quirk of fate my family completely missed any major combat. Grandad came of age between the two big WWs and dad was in the Air Force from '58 to '64 so my family hasn't had to make the same sacrifice that some others have made. I truly thank those Vets and their families for pulling a bit more than their fair share to make up for those of us who weren't in a position to help out at that time.
 
Glad to hear it and I hope you had a good trip.

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty since by a quirk of fate my family completely missed any major combat. Grandad came of age between the two big WWs and dad was in the Air Force from '58 to '64 so my family hasn't had to make the same sacrifice that some others have made. I truly thank those Vets and their families for pulling a bit more than their fair share to make up for those of us who weren't in a position to help out at that time.

I think this is what makes America so great, we are all Americans, and like a pack, we will protect each other to the death if need be. I used to be an avid reader and researcher of WWII. That's when the Germans invented that hellish machine gun with the very distinct sound (can't remember the model). They say the thing that made men charge into that kind of fire, was their friend next to them charging too.
 
Each Memorial day we (me and Mom) plant at the family plot. I frequently visit year round and ALWAYS pay special respects to the many Vets interned there. My Uncle Al was Army Corps of Engineers......build em' and blow em'.....spent all over Europe around some of the big battles. He was blown up by a landmine, shot at with tanks, rifles, and other destructive devices, the whole deal......and thankfully the Good Lord brought him home alive. I was lucky to have known him.

God Bless all our Veterans on this Memorial Day 2011
Uncle Al at an unknown location in Europe 1941. Note the captured German Walther in a shoulder rig :thmbsp:
scan0003.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom