• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Michael Jackson - Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderators Note: Alright folks. Some of the posts in this thread have trod the line (and even went over it) all afternoon; but now I've had to clean up posts that went way too far. I understand this man was controversial, but he has passed now and there's no excuse for attacks on a person no longer able to defend themselves.

The next person who goes over the line with classless, nasty comments will regret it.
 
Sadly, this has been coming on for a long time. Word is now coming out that the death may have been caused by abuse / misuse of prescription medication, possibly Demerol. It would tend to support the visible signs of an individual who has been in self-destruct mode for some time.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2501914/Michael-Jacksons-last-moments.html

Truly a loss to the music world. To think of the talent and potential that was wasted once that life began to unravel, thread by thread, over these many years.
 
Moderators Note: Alright folks. Some of the posts in this thread have trod the line (and even went over it) all afternoon; but now I've had to clean up posts that went way too far. I understand this man was controversial, but he has passed now and there's no excuse for attacks on a person no longer able to defend themselves.

The next person who goes over the line with classless, nasty comments will regret it.

I have two words for you: Thank you.
 
What a talent. He came on the scene when I was in the ninth grade, and I feel like I've been watching his incredible life arc my whole life. This is gonna make one helluva biopic movie someday.
 
Truly a loss to the music world. To think of the talent and potential that was wasted once that life began to unravel, thread by thread, over these many years.

A Pop star dies and this is a loss to the music world? I thought part of the music world's problem was too many Pop stars...


I don't think the music world will even skip a beat. There have been better, more talented singer/songwriters who have died an they are hardly even thought of anymore.
 
A Pop star dies and this is a loss to the music world? I thought part of the music world's problem was too many Pop stars...


I don't think the music world will even skip a beat. There have been better, more talented singer/songwriters who have died an they are hardly even thought of anymore.

If, for example, a Brittany Spears type were to fall off the planet, I think the music world would have trouble a few years from now trying to determine what all the fuss was about. Which of her songs will be memorable 10, 15 or 20 years from now.

Michael Jackson is/was in an entirely different league musically. He defined popular music for several years, and his songs will be touch-points for many of us who were coming of age in the 70's and '80's.

I'll never forget when the Thriller video was premiered on MTV. MTV was, at that time, still a phenomena, and the Michael Jackson album Thriller was sitting atop the charts on the strength of Billie Jean and Beat It (which had some cool-factor all its own since Eddie Van Halen played lead guitar on that tune). I was living in a college apartment that summer with 4 total hard rock-heads, but we were all mesmerized by the video: the performance, the music, how creative and entertaining it was.

Jackson was more than his moniker "King of Pop" gave him credit for, but the demons in his life overtook him, and ultimately killed his music, then him.
 
Yes, He had issues but he has given more money to charities than all the top 10 artists combined.
All men are flawed at least he did some good in the world.
I'm not able to say if his good out weighed his wrong doings in life but there has been much worse people than him.

We will never know the truth about him compleatly so cut him some slack.
 
I'll never forget when the Thriller video was premiered on MTV. MTV was, at that time, still a phenomena, and the Michael Jackson album Thriller was sitting atop the charts on the strength of Billie Jean and Beat It (which had some cool-factor all its own since Eddie Van Halen played lead guitar on that tune). I was living in a college apartment that summer with 4 total hard rock-heads, but we were all mesmerized by the video: the performance, the music, how creative and entertaining it was.

I don't see much difference between him and spears. Was he really good or was it the marketing machine?

I too was in college in the early 80s. I remember MTV and the video. I was not impressed with his or any other video. I do not need a video to enjoy a good song.

As far as I'm concerned, music videos were just one step in the decline of the music world.
 
It is a sad story all the way around. I prefer to remember the early years with the Jackson Five. R.I.P. Michael Jackson for you will always have a place in music history and a soft spot in many hearts.
I am also 50 and it was hard not to notice Micheal if you enjoyed music growing up. Thriller was and is a very entertaining music video and will be remembered as a great one at that.
 
Yes, He had issues but he has given more money to charities than all the top 10 artists combined.
All men are flawed at least he did some good in the world.
I'm not able to say if his good out weighed his wrong doings in life but there has been much worse people than him.

We will never know the truth about him compleatly so cut him some slack.

Why? "To those whom much is given, much is required".

I also do not see his death as any more a loss, than the average citizen listed in the obit. section of the local paper.
 
Re: whether Michael will leave a long-term legacy in the music world - lets see....:

- the first four singles the Jackson 5 issued hit #1 - first time in history
- Michael was probably the first true child superstar in pop/rock music
- Michael, with the Jack 5 and solo, was one of the first true crossover artists who appealed to all races and generations
- He issued the best selling album of all time, with 7 #1 singles (from one album!!!)
- His "second most popular" album (Off The Wall) sold 20 million copies!!!

Yes, he had flaws; however, I don't think anyone can question his bona fides as a musician/artist. I just played the Off The Wall and Thriller albums this evening, and think they both will be around for a while :music:
 
I also do not see his death as any more a loss, than the average citizen listed in the obit. section of the local paper.

Yes, but when was the last time you found yourself in an on-line forum posting about the death of an "average citizen"? :D

Different strokes and all that, I guess...
 
My position on Micheal Jackson is simple. He was a fantastic entertainer, and a well known pedophile. were he to have molested one of my children. He would have died years ago. But he was molested by his grandmother, who in his madness, or sickness if you will. He tried to become near the end. Plastic surgery. Sad story all the way.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/10/jackson.trial/index.html
 

Attachments

  • grandma.jpg
    grandma.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 22
  • gma 2.jpg
    gma 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 39
Michael Jackson's solo career in the early 70's is top notch quality music, good song writing, and hybrid tenor vocal delivery. Most of it went under the radar, except a few songs.

Alot of it is re-issued.

All music can't appeal to us. But PLEASE cut Mike some slack music wise if you didn't dig his music and albums. Because if you bring Mike DOWN to Britney Spears status, keep in mind that you're also bringing DOWN the great Quincy Jones that helped write and produce those songs that broke records and barriers. The records sold millions because it was great music. The videos are there because Mike was a great entertainer.
It's alot of music and artist that I think are horribly overrated. But that takes
nothing away from their legacy. I don't like their craft. But I respect their craft.
 
I was never much of a fan of his, he DID write some snappy tunes, & seemed to have tapped what a lot of people thought they wanted in the early/mid '80s...He would seem to have had a somewhat tragic life, in a lot of ways...I wonder if he EVER really had any true friends that he could just "hang" with, like we all do ? If not, that could go a long way to explaining the bizarre behaviour he exhibited in his later years. Or maybe he just really was as sick & twisted as a lot of folks thought he was... In any event, I feel sorry for his children & family.
 
I'm going out tonight and get another tattoo...

michaeljacksontattoo.jpg


hows that saying go..i'm so lousy at remembering...all assholes have opinions....damn i im not certain thats right..but oh well


RIP Michael
 
He was a very talented individual. I enjoyed his music up to Bad. A lot of his unusual behavior was the result of how he was mistreated as a child by his father, which despite all his fame and fortune, never got over.
 
My wife has this superstition death happens in 3s.


funny you should mention that brian as a a buddy and i just before work were saying the exact same thing .we were saying ok who's next. that was at 2:30 pm cdt and then at about 4:30 i hear on the radio that michael jackson died .it sure didnt take these 3 to die(ed/farrah,michael) all within 3days.unreal if you ask me.
 
R.I.P. Michael. I also loved him during the Beat It, Thriller period... Amazing talent...

Off the Wall has really held up well... My fav. all time Michael Jackson album even more than Thriller...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom