• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Mid-Fi Obsession

J Schneider

AK Member
Hi all -

After a long hiatus from really listening to music, I bought a McIntosh MC 275 + C220 combo in 2010. I bought some OK speakers (B&W CM-5s) but recently upgraded to a pair of astonishing Sony NA bookshelves (not your typical Sony stuff). I also upgraded my turntable from a Pro-Ject to a VPI Classic 1. And I've traded in the C-220 for a C-2300 which will arrive on Monday (the phono section of the C220 was not cutting it). I'm moving into a new house next week which will give me a listening room, albeit a small one at 12 x 12.

So now I have what I think is a stellar system and it sure does sound it. There will always be better but this is as good it gets for me now and all that I really have space for in my new home.

But here's the rub. Back in early October, I bought a Marantz 2370. I was itching for something retro to remind me of my formative years (my parents had a Marantz). I bought it off Craig's List and also picked up a Stromberg Carlson console integrated tube amp.

Those two purchases must have ignited something within because I've gone on a splurge buying several vintage tube amps (a Sherwood, a Magnavox 9302, a Marantz 170dc, and a Pioneer SA-1000). To drive those low powered amps I picked up a set of Omega Super 5 monitors. And I had someone on AK build me a SET amp which is on the way.

So if I've got such a great system, why am I obsessed with the mid-fi stuff. It does not sound as good as my McIntosh gear but some of it (not all of it) speaks to me in a way that I like. That enough is good enough reason but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I know I have an OCD / addictive personality and probably guess a lot of audiophiles do as well. But I'm really starting to think I'm crazy when I'm enjoying listening to a system that is not nearly as good as the one I have right next to it.

Oh and by the way, I can't stop looking at Bartertown to see if there is new gear posted that I might want.

- Jonathan
 
Register to hide this ad
Variety is the spice of life.
Sometimes the old Ford truck brings more pleasure than the Cadillac.
As long as you like what you hear, it's pleasurable. If you own it for other reasons, well...:scratch2:
 
Thanks guys.

Sorry - I know that seemed like a dopey post, but honestly I have no one else to talk to about this stuff.

My friends are content with the quality of their iPhone docks and satellite radio. They have no idea what a tube is. My wife lets me do / buy whatever I want but could care less about the details of it all.

- Jonathan
 
Nothing wrong with mid-fi (its not a four letter word), some mid-fi punch well above their weight class and sound darn good. No reason to apologize.
 
I know I have an OCD / addictive personality and probably guess a lot of audiophiles do as well. But I'm really starting to think I'm crazy when I'm enjoying listening to a system that is not nearly as good as the one I have right next to it.

Maybe you just like the sound of the "mid-fi" system better...in other words, it sounds better to your ears than your higher-end system.

In my case, I still very much enjoy some of my "lesser" gear....often because it is better at some particular thing than my main system, even though my main system is overall better across the full spectrum of musical genres.
 
Sooner or later you must realize that his whole thing about something being better than something else is because it costs more, or the specs say it is, or people on forums say it is, is nonsense. It will drive you crazy if you let it(see a similar thread going on about a similar thing). We all know it's all about the music, which is what drew us to audio in the first place. But so many of us got lost over the years, and when we look back honestly we realize that it was more fun in the beginning, when we didn't fret so much, or at all, about perfect systems with perfect set up, about going the bigger and shinier and more expensive next step up, only to be disappointed. I was like that. Then I stopped. "Mid-Fi" is a silly marketing term and nothing else. Your ears have experience and they don't lie. Believe them when they tell you what is best and then go with it and don't worry about it. You will ultimately end up enjoying this hobby of ours a lot more.
 
Whatever sounds good to you is what matters. I live in the land of "mid-fi', but I really like all the sound systems I listen to. To me music matters more than the gear. Peace and goodwill.
 
All I know is that I'd dearly love to see and hear your Sony speakers. I'd bet you are the only AKer that owns a pair. How about posting some pictures of them.

cubdog
 
Back in the day, one of my friends was married to a very attractive, super nice woman. Yet he liked nothing more than shacking up with sleazy bar chicks. His marriage ended in divorce. The OP however can enjoy the best of both worlds!
 
All I know is that I'd dearly love to see and hear your Sony speakers. I'd bet you are the only AKer that owns a pair. How about posting some pictures of them.

cubdog

Cubdog -

I'm moving this week and they're packed. But you can see them here:

http://discover.store.sony.com/ES/es-speakers/SS-NA5ES.html

(Believe me - you can get them for cheaper than $6K)

I will say, they're not much to look at. But they are a joy to listen to - it's one of those additions to my system which has made me feel like I've listened to music for the first time. The detail, soundstage, and bass are extremely impressive - even at low volumes.

There are only about 10 dealers in the US that are carrying them. Fortunately, one is here in Palm Beach Gardens. The dealer said he would sell more of them but not for the Sony name. Once I heard them, however, they could have been any brand. They just blew me away. I went 3 times to the store to listen and each time did so in a room that was the same size as my future listening room and with the same amp as mine (the MC 275).

- Jonathan
 
Last edited:
Those Sonys look pretty dang nice! :thmbsp: Definitely not the typical Sony speakers.

I have a bit of the OCD/compulsive going on too. Most of my friends don't get it. I have to work at it to keep it in check and to keep things in perspective.

One thing about the lesser expensive or mid-fi gear is it may be well within your purchasing comfort zone. Ergo, it may be easier to buy five $300 receivers than it is to buy a single $1500 receiver.

I was on my way to having a system for each room in my house, which I certainly don't need. I had to forcibly put the brakes on and am in the process of selling off some of the excess.
 
Yes, a system in each room would definitely be excessive. You only need one in the living room, den/great room, kitchen, each bedroom, workshop, and basement. Not necessary in the bathrooms. For them, remote speakers are fine.
 
Cubdog -

I'm moving this week and they're packed. But you can see them here:

http://discover.store.sony.com/ES/es-speakers/SS-NA5ES.html

(Believe me - you can get them for cheaper than $6K)

I will say, they're not much to look at. But they are a joy to listen to - it's one of those additions to my system which has made me feel like I've listened to music for the first time. The detail, soundstage, and bass are extremely impressive - even at low volumes.

There are only about 10 dealers in the US that are carrying them. Fortunately, one is here in Palm Beach Gardens. The dealer said he would sell more of them but not for the Sony name. Once I heard them, however, they could have been any brand. They just blew me away. I went 3 times to the store to listen and each time did so in a room that was the same size as my future listening room and with the same amp as mine (the MC 275).

- Jonathan

Actually there is a dealer not to far from me in the west suburban Chicago area. I'm definitely going to give them a listen someday. I'm curious how the sound compared to my Sony's. Please post some system pictures when you get settled.

cubdog
 
Yes, a system in each room would definitely be excessive.

?????


````````````````````````````````````````````


822227290.jpg
 
Nothing wrong with Mid-Fi.

I've got an old 1989 Sony amp that I bought it new from Circuit City for the wife. It weighs a ton and sounds outstanding.

And it still functions and sounds like new. It's a really nice sounding amp! A keeper for sure.

Sony made great Mid-Fi gear back then.
 
mid fi is an arbitrary label. Better to think in terms of a "balanced" setup for what you are trying to achieve, whether it is a system for your bathroom or your dedicated listening room.
 
mid fi is an arbitrary label. Better to think in terms of a "balanced" setup for what you are trying to achieve, whether it is a system for your bathroom or your dedicated listening room.

Given Jonathan's main system I thing his lesser set up qualifies as mid fi. Nothing wrong with that but true. Hell my system is mid fi and costs less than a number of my previous ones but it sounds better than all of them.

Balanced is a good term though and something to strive for.

cubdog
 
Hi-Fi, Mid-Fi, Low-Fi, who cares as long as the end result is the same. That's all that really matters. Some of us do different things than others whether it is amps, speakers, or some other component. As long as your partner is ok, not that you need her approval, and as long as you're happy, why worry about it? How you arrive to the end result (Music), there should be no regrets. You are the only person that matters, and you have to be satisfied with the end result.

:music:
 
My mid-fi system sounds better TO MY EARS than most truly hi-fi systems that I have heard. I don't care why, it just does...
 
Back
Top Bottom