• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mine Advent compared to Bose 301 II's

Mark W.

Nut house of the Universe
Mini Advents compared to Bose 301 II's

Does anyone here have both of these to give me an idea of how the Mini Advents would compare to a properly set up pair of Bose 301 II's?

I want to add a pair of small speakers to allow a feed from my main system into my office where I currently use a pair of Bose 301 II's wall mounted. Space and therefore size is of a major consern since I just don't have any!

And a note if your a Bose basher please don't waste my time I have heard it all before.
 
Register to hide this ad
Mark, for the record, as far as I know, the Mini Advents are a 4 ohm load, if that matters. As to the sound, I like the Baby Advent IIs, and think they'd be a fairer comparison to the 301s, and a bit better than the 301s, but as for the Mini Advents, I'd probably stick with the 301s over them, or even Minimus 7s, stock or modified, also.
 
I have a pair of those - I like them. (Or, at least I think I have a pair of those. Mine look very similar, and lack a label.) They're currently being used at the robotics build site with an MCS 3245 reciever, and sound pretty darn good even with the large, oddly-shaped room.
 
These mini advents look very much like my Advent IIs from the front, not bad, but I have to believe the 301s would sound better overall (pure wine-driven speculation). They usually go for a bit more than twice as much as the Advent IIs on "the Bay."
 
Thanks Guys i'm starting to think that maybe the speakers I'm looking for to add to the Office need to be DIY's parts express has a couple cool kits that would be about the right size.
 
That's not a bad idea, actually, unless you stumble on a set of small speakers that fit the bill. The problem(s) with older stuff is that they'll need some attention. You'll get a better quality crossover and drivers from a contemporary kit.

Cheers,

David
 
I picked up a pair of mini advents at goodwill for 5 bucks,driving them with 38watt per chanel gainclone. They sound pretty decent to me not much bass,but their small size was important to me due to limited space in bedroom.
Nice highs and very good midrange. Don't know how they compare to bose 301. The mini we made after jensen brought advent and they seem well built with walnut end caps probaly made in the mid 90"s .I f price is right I would give them a try.
 
In my own office, I'm currently in love with the Paradigm Titans I scored a few weeks back at the thrift, $30 for 3 (yes, three!). They sound GREAT at all volume levels. You see them going for $150 the set on Ebay and even at that price I think they are worth it just for the sheer beauty of the music that flows out of them and they strike a good balance between size and performance, no question, far superior to ANY small Advent or Bose speaker. But if you are looking for a cheap small speaker, alot of people like the Insignias at Best Buy for $50 or so, I have not heard them myself, but you'd be getting a new, clean looking speaker at a good price.
 
Back
Top Bottom