• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Minimum distance between turntable and receiver?

I am buying a third turntable today and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for it in my listening room. Right now I'm thinking of placing it directly to the right side of my Marantz 4415 receiver (using the Marantz's phono preamp).

I thought that I had read somewhere that there should be a certain distance between the turntable and the transformer of the receiver but I cannot remember where I read this. How critical is this distance? I will rearrange my setup if needed but the less I have to move the better. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
The issue is that the phono cartridge can pick up the magnetic field of the receiver power transformer, causing hum. A lot of the issue depends on where the power transformer is in the receiver (most are on the left or centered like yours), and how powerful the receiver is (how much magnetic field leak). If the turntable must be adjacent to the receiver, you should certainly place it on the right side, as that places the tone arm and cartridge furthest from the transformer.
 
In my 45 plus years of owning a turntable, I've never heard of this as an issue between receiver and turntable. Some people (not me) have even placed their TT on top of their amp or receiver. I wouldn't recommend this but I have seen it. The more common problem occurs when people place their TT too close to their speakers, causing rumble or feedback. Try placing it next to your receiver and move it if the hum occurs, otherwise you should be fine.
 
I am buying a third turntable today and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for it in my listening room. Right now I'm thinking of placing it directly to the right side of my Marantz 4415 receiver (using the Marantz's phono preamp).

I thought that I had read somewhere that there should be a certain distance between the turntable and the transformer of the receiver but I cannot remember where I read this. How critical is this distance? I will rearrange my setup if needed but the less I have to move the better. Thanks.

Not a concern unless there's audible hum directly related to the placement of the units.

Of course, this is a different matter from adding lengths to the audio cables between the units which should never been done for phono connections.
 
Good planning ahead.
If you're going to have a problem (as with an unshielded cartridge) the best spot would depend on what side of the receiver its power transformer is. Try left of the receiver or right. It depends on the cartridge.
Also make sure not to run the turntable's signal wires parallel to any power cords.
 
Good planning ahead.
If you're going to have a problem (as with an unshielded cartridge) the best spot would depend on what side of the receiver its power transformer is. Try left of the receiver or right. It depends on the cartridge.
Also make sure not to run the turntable's signal wires parallel to any power cords.

The cartridge installed on the new turntable (TransAudio 1800) is an Empire EXL-10. I'm not sure if this cart is shielded or not. I also have an AT95E that I can use instead of the Empire if need be.
 
Last edited:
Not a concern unless there's audible hum directly related to the placement of the units.

Of course, this is a different matter from adding lengths to the audio cables between the units which should never been done for phono connections.
I have long term plans to replace the RCA cables on all three of my TT's with low capacitance cables in as short of lengths as possible.
 
I have long term plans to replace the RCA cables on all three of my TT's with low capacitance cables in as short of lengths as possible.
Just make sure that your new TT interconnects are shielded. Otherwise you might run into some interesting problems as one of my friends did several years ago.
 
Just make sure that your new TT interconnects are shielded. Otherwise you might run into some interesting problems as one of my friends did several years ago.
What are the interconnects? Are they the point where the RCA's leads are soldered inside the turntable?
 
What are the interconnects? Are they the point where the RCA's leads are soldered inside the turntable?

Hello Jeff,
When folks say "Interconnects", they are referring to the cabling that connects a Turntable, Tape Deck, CD Player, Tuner, etc to a PreAmp, or a Receiver.

I'm not sure what Turntable you'll be using? Some vintage tables do have Female RCA Jacks on the back so that a cable-Interconnect of choice can be used, some don't and have hardwired Captive Cabling exiting the back, and most better modern Turntables today have a Cable-Interconnect that connects directly to the Tonearm. (Mounting Shaft)

Commonly, and due to the very low voltage signal coming from the Phono Cartridge, Cables are often kept as short as possible to help prevent signal loss. That length is often a standard length of 1.2m. But can vary.

I once had a friend, who was running a high end reel to reel deck right next to his preamp, and the very nice Technics Table with Infinity Black Widow Tonearm and Grado Cartridge was over 20 feet away, and he was wondering why his Turntable wasn't sounding so good. Likely answer, signal loss from too long a run of cable to connect.

Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem with the Table sitting next to the Receiver. As others state,a nd I asw ell never had problems in my experiences.
 
Hello Jeff,
When folks say "Interconnects", they are referring to the cabling that connects a Turntable, Tape Deck, CD Player, Tuner, etc to a PreAmp, or a Receiver.

I'm not sure what Turntable you'll be using? Some vintage tables do have Female RCA Jacks on the back so that a cable-Interconnect of choice can be used, some don't and have hardwired Captive Cabling exiting the back, and most better modern Turntables today have a Cable-Interconnect that connects directly to the Tonearm. (Mounting Shaft)

Commonly, and due to the very low voltage signal coming from the Phono Cartridge, Cables are often kept as short as possible to help prevent signal loss. That length is often a standard length of 1.2m. But can vary.

I once had a friend, who was running a high end reel to reel deck right next to his preamp, and the very nice Technics Table with Infinity Black Widow Tonearm and Grado Cartridge was over 20 feet away, and he was wondering why his Turntable wasn't sounding so good. Likely answer and cause, signal loss from too long a run of cable to connect. He should've switched those source components! And I told him so, but he was hard headed, and more interested-concerned with asthetics and looks

Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem with the Table sitting next to the Receiver. As others state, and I as well also, never had problems in my experiences.
 
Hello Jeff,
When folks say "Interconnects", they are referring to the cabling that connects a Turntable, Tape Deck, CD Player, Tuner, etc to a PreAmp, or a Receiver.

I'm not sure what Turntable you'll be using? Some vintage tables do have Female RCA Jacks on the back so that a cable-Interconnect of choice can be used, some don't and have hardwired Captive Cabling exiting the back, and most better modern Turntables today have a Cable-Interconnect that connects directly to the Tonearm. (Mounting Shaft)

Commonly, and due to the very low voltage signal coming from the Phono Cartridge, Cables are often kept as short as possible to help prevent signal loss. That length is often a standard length of 1.2m. But can vary.

I once had a friend, who was running a high end reel to reel deck right next to his preamp, and the very nice Technics Table with Infinity Black Widow Tonearm and Grado Cartridge was over 20 feet away, and he was wondering why his Turntable wasn't sounding so good. Likely answer, signal loss from too long a run of cable to connect.

Honestly, I don't think you'll have a problem with the Table sitting next to the Receiver. As others state,a nd I asw ell never had problems in my experiences.
Thanks, The table is a TransAudio 1800. The RCA's are hardwired into the table.

I have plans to rewire all three of my tables with low capacitance cable in as short of lengths as possible.
 
Thanks, The table is a TransAudio 1800. The RCA's are hardwired into the table.

I have plans to rewire all three of my tables with low capacitance cable in as short of lengths as possible.

Shielding is also of very high importance. I've seen Phono Cables costing $30, and I've seen them cost over $3,000.
 
I keep all of my 8 power amps at a distance from all other electronics (including TTs) as a practice of habit. They all have huge power transformers (some core and coil, some toroidal), and regardless if the magnetic fields are strong enough to influence signal from sources or upstream components, it just makes for good signal management and noise abatement. It is the ounce of cure.
 
Back
Top Bottom