• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Minimus: Realistic & RCA Tweeters the same? Interchangeable?

Eunomians

Diggin' 4 LP's Worldwide
I need your help!



Well, I got 2 blown tweeters on my my Minimus 7W speakers.

I had been searching for replacement tweeters for a long time.

I found a pair of Radio Shack RCA tweeters that came in RCA 40-5003 Minimus-type speakers. These speakers are a tiny bit bigger than Minimus 7. They are 8 ohm 70 Watts RMS and 140 Watts max and they have a bigger woofer than the Minimus.

The tweeters look very close to Minimus 7 tweeters. In fact, they have the same model pre-fix designation ("SD").

Can I use these RCA tweeters in the Minimus 7W?????


Here are some more details:


Minimus 7 tweeter: SD-60 8 Ohms Japan

RCA Model 40-5003 tweeter: SD-79 8 Ohms Malaysia



Can I perform this operation with success?
 
Register to hide this ad
I am assuming that they are identical, but perhaps not swappable.

Oh well, I guess I'll look for the correct model tweeter.

Thanks
 
Are you familiar with Minimus 77's? same as Minimus 7's but with a slightly bigger cab and a 5" woofer instead of 4". Maybe your RCA speakers are a Minimus 77 clone, In which case the tweeters should be the same or similar.

I'd try them anyway and let my ears tell me if they are suitable or not.
 
They do look like 77 clones. I was not sure if the tweeters would be suitable housed in the 7W. I will give it a shot. I appreciate the help :D
 
RCA drivers I thought were later-model Minimus drivers, built obviously at a later date. So, maybe not as quality as the earlier RS models, or just maybe in a different country of origin- Taiwan vs. Japan?

Specs should be close. I'd imagine sound as well.
 
The RCA tweeters look different than the Minimus tweeters. The RCA version has a larger magnet in the rear.

I will post comments on if they work well, how they sound relative to the Minimus "Made In Japan" tweeters.
 
I know that later-model drivers from manufacturers like Boston Acoustics, and others that I can't recall, went from one size magnet to another, with minimal discernable audio difference.

To see it, one would be biased, and dissappointed in the smaller magnet, but it seems, though it's hard to believe, that sound quality usually doesn't suffer.

I can't see how this could be, but I've heard early and later-model speakers by Boston Acoustics, and other makers, and the early and later models, although drivers are slightly different, sound extremely similar, if not 99% exact.

So, it's with great anticipation that I wait to hear your results. You seem to have an excellent ear, so this will be a nice insight.

I hope they do work well for you!
 
Back
Top Bottom