• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Minimus vs. Optimus vs. Centrios

inline79

New Member
In all my searches I never came across a side by side photo of the Minimus 7, Optimus Pro-X44AV, and Centrios bookshelf speakers, so when I came across a super cheap pair of Centrios "Minimus 7" clones, I took the opportunity to test them all side by side and take a photo. Here it is for future reference.

In my opinion the Minimus 7s I have (Made in Korea) sound the best - they always have. They always make me feel like I'm at the concert.

The Optimus (Made in Malaysia) are almost as good but are missing a bit of depth. Plugging the port in the rear helps clean things up a little bit, but I don't like them as much as the Minimus 7s. The woofer and tweeter seem to be the same design though, except the ones on the Optimus are shielded. The Optimus are like I'm listening to the same concert through nice speakers.

The Centrios "model 401-2000" (Made in China) looks like both the above, but it isn't ported. Closer inspection reveals the drivers are foam surround, mylar dome, poly coned. They still work well, but have nowhere near the boominess, depth, or even mid-range of the other two. They still sound good on the highs, but don't quite have the range of the Minimus or Optimus. They're just really nice computer speakers.

The Centrios can still be found at The Source here and there on sale. I saw a pair this weekend for $20ea, but at that price I'd hold out for an Optimus.

Anyone else done a similar comparison?
 

Attachments

  • IMG00121-20110129-1752.jpg
    IMG00121-20110129-1752.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 116
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of older JVC speakers very similar to the Minimus 7's.

I don't know the model number as the tags are gone. I believe they were marketed as a "Sub-Sat" type of system.

Very similar quality to the 7's...

Dense plastic cabinet instead of die-cast, Phenolic type?

4" woofer and nice 1" or 1 1/8" soft dome tweeter.

Very detailed and articulate, but they don't have the bass extension that the 7's do.

Very nice though, especially since I think I paid about $15 for the pair WITH maching stands. :music::music:
 
Just this week end I gave up to my folks my most resent pair of Minimus 7's and took back a pair of Advent model 9's I let them have a year ago. I told my step dad to trust these little Minimus 7's to really fill their mid size front room, amazing little speakers they are when you really don't want to see speakers and just hear a room full of music at low to moderate sound levels.
 
Where are you located inline79? A few months ago, The Source (pre-Bell buy-out) was selling off the Centrios 7 in silver for $4.96 Canadian. Not on their website any longer; unlikely, but you might get real lucky and find a pair somewhere...
 
As for my Minimus 7 collection. I have 2 pair of the original made in Japan 7's, 1 pair of Optimus Pro 44AV's, 1 pair of Optimus Pro 7X in charcoal gray with the cloth grill, 1 pair of Optimus Pro 7X in white with the metal grill along with my Audiosource branded 77's. That brings my total of family members to 12. I have done a lot of A/B comparisons of these speakers and although there are differences on sound, I have trouble finding a favorite. The 77 does sound a lot like the original 7 but with a little more fullness and better bass. The 44AV;s sound just about the same as the 7's. The Pro 7X is ported and has more bass than the 7 and sounds better than the smaller ported versions I have heard. All sound good on their own and make great surround speakers. I would just suggest matching models if you use them for that.

I just recently purchased a pair of Optimus Pro X77 speakers. They are the ones with the Linaeum mono-pole tweeter. I will not be able to pick them up until the end of the month and have never heard a pair of them. I will post my comparison after that.
 
Back
Top Bottom