• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Miracord 10H right channel out. Help please!

Ok, I've been fiddling around with this TT off and on for awhile. When it's plugged in I get nice sound out of the left and a hum out of the right channel. I replaced the headshell wires in the headshell itself which plugs into the tonearm, a possible site for a bad connection. I checked where the wires come out of the tonearm and the connections look good, as far as I could tell. It's possible the RCA cable may have a break.

How to do I take measurements with the meter to find where the connection is broken. I'm a total dunce when it comes to stuff like this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I can only speak from the point of view as the owner of a Dual 1229, another idler drive TT with some similarities. When I have had a weak, sometimes humming channel, besides cleaning the cartridge pins, connectors on the cartridge holder wires, pins on the cartridge holder, and tonearm contacts they push against (all things that you seem to have accounted for) -- the other things that have helped or were essential were cleaning the muting switch, cleaning the rca sockets the connecting cable uses, replacing the connecting cable, and installing a ground wire. I don't know if the Miracord has a muting switch subject to corrosion or not. It might already have a ground wire. Swapping cables is the first thing many people would do, since it is easiest if you have some spares.

You can also have a weak channel if you have a dirty balance control in your amplifier or receiver. Or you could have a bad speaker connection. Either of those things would give you the same weak or humming channel when listening to other sources, of course, not just when listening to the turntable. Obviously, the cartridge could be failing too, but I would probably clean everything 3 times before I checked it.
 
Back
Top Bottom