• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mission 774 restoration

Somuchcaacaa

Active Member
G'day.
I have acquired a Mission 774. It needs some work but the first thing I'd like to address is that the queuing/antiskate assembly pivots freely around the tonearm post. There is not a set screw to hold it in place. The user manual quite vague in my opinion. Is this normal behavior?
 
Register to hide this ad
Which 774 is this? If it's the original, the cueing platform (lift bar) can swivel but it's a minor issue. The part that holds the dashpot and AS lever is press fit on the pillar and shouldn't rotate.
 
Last edited:
While you research the issue, a spot or two of Elmer's Glue or, even better, Ailene's Tacky glue will hold the parts in place reliably but can be removed easily.
 
Which 774 is this? If it's the original, the cueing platform (lift bar) can swivel but it's a minor issue. The part that holds the dashpot and AS lever is press fit on the pillar and shouldn't rotate.
Thanks for the response.
It is original and, unfortunately, it's not just the cueing platform but, the whole piece that should be press fit. I am leery of removing the arm from the pillar. I don't want to mess the bearings. What to do?
 
While you research the issue, a spot or two of Elmer's Glue or, even better, Ailene's Tacky glue will hold the parts in place reliably but can be removed easily.
Thank you for the suggestion. @ripblade says the assembly should be press fit on the pillar. Maybe your suggestion will work until I work up enough courage to disassemble further.
 
A bead of Ailenes above and below will probably hold it forever, but, if needed, it can easily be removed - it can be peeled or water and diluted ammonia will soften it.
Super glue, of course, would also work, but getting it off is harder. I rebuilt a Logic Datum/Syrinx Leone which was like most Syrinx arms in being largely glued. I had to heat (and very very hot) the main pillar to get the horzontal bearings out. I'd think carefully before using super glue or epoxy.
 
The top bearing can be disassembled/reassembled easily. When reassembling don't over tighten the bolt. The bearings use the preload built-in to the bearing races so all is needed is to tighten the bolt till it stops.

The bottom one inside the pillar is much harder, but it shouldn't be necessary. Just clamp it in the base, level the cueing/damping/AS platform with shims and glue it as Nat suggests.
 
Back
Top Bottom