• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MO Area AKers! House Concert Event in Columbia: Rob Fetters

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Subscriber
I'm having a special event at my place and would like to extend the invite to any AKers who might want to attend. I think this is going to be a memorable event!

Rob Fetters is an amazing guitarist and songwriter from Cincinnati who I have followed since the 80s. He had several bands that were regionally famous, The Raisins, then psychodots. Adrian Belew (of King Crimson) produced The Raisins' first album (Adrian also played with Zappa, Bowie, the Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson and Nine Inch Nails). Fetters and two other members of the Raisins joined up with Belew to form The Bears, who toured nationally in the 80s and again in the 90s. Fetters has a home studio and records all the instruments himself on some of his solo work.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time: Rob is passing through to the PNW and doing house concerts along the way. The show will be a 'career retrospective', with backing tracks for a full band sound, on what Rob calls a specially tweaked audio system.

His sound could be described as progressive rock. Plays a Strat with liberal use of the whammy bar. Lots of stuff on YouTube, here's one of my favorites:


Rob says you don't have to know all his stuff to have a good time at this show. He is a consummate entertainer and you will have fun whether you want to or not!

Concert is Sat. Sept. 21, 7-10 pm on the patio at The Garage Mahal, our shop in the woods 15 mins north of Columbia.
If you'd like to come please post or PM me so I can keep track of numbers and I'll PM you directions. Hoping to have 40-50 there.
Admission is $20.


There will be brats, veggie burgers and potluck sides. We have camping space if anyone wants to stay over.

I also have thousands of board feet of locally harvested/salvaged hardwood lumber, so if you're thinking of a woodworking project, let me know and I'll have ready whatever you might be interested in looking at.

Flyer attached.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not that I've heard from. There's another Fetters fan here in Columbia that I met who will be there, and two from St. Louis. Also we got an email from a STL music blogger (Proglodytes.com) who is coming to cover the show for his websites, which is pretty cool.

We have plenty of room if anyone decides they can make it.

I'm really looking forward to it. 53 hours and counting!

If you needed any more persuading, here's a recently discovered (by me anyway) clip of The Raisins covering The Beatles' Dr. Robert in 1980. Just check out the guitar work - this guy was unbelievable 40 years ago and he's never stopped playing.

 
Had a blast at Tox's Garage Mahal last night! Many thanks for a helluva show.

Here's the one pic I thought to take. I was too busy enjoying myself to photo-document.
IMG_20190921_215730636.jpg
 
Wow, what a fine invite for what sounded like a great show!
(far distant for me, but sounded like big fun!)
Belew and The Art Bears in his history - wow!
I've been to a rare home concert or two in these parts - but they fill up FAST~!
 
It was unbelievable. I don't even know how to describe the whole expxerience.

Big thanks to Tyella who responded to a frantic call and came out early to help move the entire show inside due to a threat of heavy rain. Rob told some great stories about his life in rock n roll (including giving Frank Zappa a ride home from an LA studio once and being invited in for dinner!). The sound was perfect, songs were great, guitar was top notch and the studio recorded backing tracks were so good you thought there was a whole band in the room. We had a magical evening and would do it again in a New York minute.
 
Last edited:
With the addition of a smart phone and another small box sitting next to it, the Bose sub at left and a single line array (lined up with the edge of the garage door so it's hard to see), this was all that was required to totally blow our socks off. Well, that plus one incredible musician/songwriter/sound whiz.

20190921_165536 - Copy.jpg

The whiz himself doing sound check.
20190921_190117 - Copy.jpg

BTW that is a cardboard standup of Dolly Parton in tyella's pic, new book in hand. She was rescued from the trash and keeps an eye on the lumber stacks at the Garage Mahal. Rob thought she was so cool he took her up front for the show.

20190921_211438 - Copy.jpg

[above photos by Mike Reno, thanks Reno!]
 
Back
Top Bottom