• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modded Mach 1 Project Completed (MACH 4 RHINO's)

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
After alot of time and planning, my Mach 1 project is finished and I thought since it turned out so well they deserved their own post.

I want to thank all the fellow AKer's who helped or were involved in all the planning and design, this was a truly fun and a not very expensive project. All the drivers and parts were purchased from this forum or Ebay. The crossovers were built as per our Video Lady Aker specs, special thanks need to go to VL. Extra special thanks also to my friend Bob for helping with the cabinet build, and the use of his cabinet shop.

The drivers are all stock Mach 1 drivers that have been gone through and made to perform properly, by doing the following. Woofer surround replacement, mid diaphram foam gasket replacement, mid horn sound deadning, Deox of the pots, VL redesign of the crossovers with Dayton caps, cabinet enlargement to match woofer requirements, internal cabinet braces, and rhino coating the cabinet exteriors. The grills are made from Parts Express grill kits and are top notch, and look very good.

I will add pictures and most of all the specs of my build to this thread down the road. We are calling these speakers Mach 4 Rhino's, these could be pushed off a cliff and survive I think. :D

I am also offering to demo them to anyone passing through South Florida that would be interested in stopping by and giving them a listen.

There will be some more testing, and I also plan to compare them with a few other speakers in my collection. So far I would have to say that they have a much more balanced sound, the woofer sounds very punchy and not tubby anymore, and the mid, which I have always had issue with, sounds less harsh and not grainy anymore. I don't believe there is much of anything left to improve upon without using alternate drivers, or adding some. The main focus was to retain the stock drivers, but bring the best out of them. I think we accomplished our goals, and hope other Mach 1 fans can benefit from all this information.

I also would like to give thanks to the AK moderators who do a great job at keeping the threads on subject, and giving us all a chance to be heard. :thmbsp: The main Mach 1 thread has a wealth of information in it but is very long, I hope to consolidate most of it in this thread for easy access.

001.JPG 001.JPG 017.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG 002.JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
After alot of time and planning, my Mach 1 project is finished and I thought since it turned out so well they deserved their own post.

I want to thank all the fellow AKer's who helped or was involved in all the planning and design, this was a truly fun and a not very expensive project. All the drivers and parts were purchased from this forum or Ebay. The crossovers were built as per our Video Lady Aker specs, special thanks need to go to VL. Extra special thanks also to my friend Bob for helping with the cabinet build and the use of his cabinet shop.

The drivers are all stock Mach 1 drivers that have been gone through and made to perform properly, by doing the following. Woofer surround replacement, mid diaphram foam gasket replacement, mid horn sound deadning, Deox of the pots, VL redesign of the crossovers with Dayton caps, cabinet enlargement to match woofer requirements, internal cabinet braces, and rhino coating the cabinet exteriors. The grills are made from Parts Express grill kits and are top notch, and look very good.

I will add pictures and most of all the specs of my build to this thread down the road. We are calling these speakers Mach 4 Rhino's, these could be pushed off a cliff and survive I think. :D

I am also offering to demo them to anyone passing through South Florida that would be interested in stopping by and giving them a listen.

There will be some testing and I also plan to compare them with a few other speakers in my collection. So far I would have to say that they have a much more balanced sound, the woofer sounds very punchy and not tubby anymore, and the mid, which I have always had issue with, sounds less harsh and not grainy anymore. I don't believe there is much of anything left to improve upon without using alternate drivers, or adding some. The main focus was to retain the stock drivers, but bring the best out of them. I think we accomplished our goals, and hope other Mach 1 fans can benefit from all this information.

I also would like to give thanks to the AK moderators who do a great job at keeping the threads on subject, and giving us all a chance to be heard. :thmbsp: The main Mach 1 thread has a wealth of information in it but is very long, I hope to consolidate most of it in this thread for easy access.
Glad you started a separate thread for these. Should get some deserved attention.

Nice work!
 
Thanks for the compliments, I really only built these to be party speakers so the durable exterior was a must. The upper and lower face plates can be changed to whatever color or finish wanted, options are endless, would love to see them in walnut veneer. I really like the rear access panel, it makes it so easy to get to everything without removing the drivers.

I am getting as much of the specs for this build together so I can post it here for easy access. The cabinet size increase really changes everything up. it gives them a much better look, and makes the woofer work more like it should. At the cabinet shop where we built them, we had the concrete walls and floor shaking. My Kenwood KR-9600 was doing a great job pushing them, it didn't like pushing 4 at a time though, it dropped the volume quite a bit so we ran just two after that.
 

Attachments

  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 342
Thanks for the compliments, I really only built these to be party speakers so the durable exterior was a must. The upper and lower face plates can be changed to whatever color or finish wanted, options are endless, would love to see them in walnut veneer. I really like the rear access panel, it makes it so easy to get to everything without removing the drivers.

I am getting as much of the specs for this build together so I can post it here for easy access. The cabinet size increase really changes everything up. it gives them a much better look, and makes the woofer work more like it should. At the cabinet shop where we built them, we had the concrete walls and floor shaking. My Kenwood KR-9600 was doing a great job pushing them, it didn't like pushing 4 at a time though, it dropped the volume quite a bit so we ran just two after that.
You really stuffed that sucker! Packed with Pink. What "R" value are you using?
 
Nice job indeed Steve.

Mach Ones are what started me down my audio road, so despite their sound in stock form they are a special speaker for me.

I hope to hear a pair VL modded Mach Ones someday.:yes:
 
Wow, those look really cool! Definitely be the life of the party!! How did you extend the bottom of the cabinets? I have two pair of those on the back burner waiting for VL mods.they are very sentimentle to me as one pair i have owned since 1984 , and the other pair where my dads that he gave me around 1990. Nice work on yours!!
 
Wow, those look really cool! Definitely be the life of the party!! How did you extend the bottom of the cabinets? I have two pair of those on the back burner waiting for VL mods.they are very sentimentle to me as one pair i have owned since 1984 , and the other pair where my dads that he gave me around 1990. Nice work on yours!!

The cabinets are not original, they are built from scratch using 3/4" MDF. All the drivers were purchased, crossovers also, did the VL mods also. If you look at the last few pages of the very large Mach 1 thread you will see the cabinet build.

Stock cabinets measure about 28-3/8" T x 17-3/38" W x 11-1/2" D
My cabinets measure 36" T x 18" W x 14" D

I also did not use a mid chamber like the original, I sprayed the back side of the mid horn lense with sound deadning, and wrapped it with insulation.


Here are the tier 1 documents for future reference
http://www.levlhed.com/docs/tier1.pdf
 
Last edited:
Awesome! I look forward to the complete step by step directions so I can make myself a pair of these RSSteve Mach 1 Rhinos. :)
 
Both of you, especially you Copa, are responsible for my owning a pair of Mach I, Mach II, Optimus 5b and tomorrow I pick up a pair of T 120. I've been following since the beginning. Way back when this started I picked up a pair of Mach I and never got a chance to get back to them. This post has got my juices flowing again. The thing about this mod is it's all labor. Just some mdf and some foam and some crossover parts. The pics that have been supplied make it that more easier. You guys have done all the work, and VL did all the science. All I have to do is follow instructions with pictures. RS Steve your plates look great and your speakers look fantastic.

Thanks all

I've been using Dayton caps for a long time and find they start breaking in fast but need at least 24 hours to really start sounding best.

Great job.
 
The cabinets are not original, they are built from scratch using 3/4" MDF. All the drivers were purchased, crossovers also, did the VL mods also. If you look at the last few pages of the very large Mach 1 thread you will see the cabinet build.

Stock cabinets measure about 28-3/8" T x 17-3/38" W x 11-1/2" D
My cabinets measure 36" T x 18" W x 14" D

I also did not use a mid chamber like the original, I sprayed the back side of the mid horn lense with sound deadning, and wrapped it with insulation.


Here are the tier 1 documents for future reference
http://www.levlhed.com/docs/tier1.pdf

Ahh! I gotch ya,Nice job!! I wish i had a ''nice'' table saw to build cabinets,my cheapy table saw, i dont think will cut it,LOL
 
Ahh! I gotch ya,Nice job!! I wish i had a ''nice'' table saw to build cabinets,my cheapy table saw, i dont think will cut it,LOL

The challenge with MDF on a small table saw is the weight, if you rough cut the sizes with a skill saw first, it will be much easier to handle, and cut the finish joints on the small table saw.
 
The challenge with MDF on a small table saw is the weight, if you rough cut the sizes with a skill saw first, it will be much easier to handle, and cut the finish joints on the small table saw.
Thats a good tip,i wouldn't have thought of that ,thanks! But i still wish i had Norm's table saw! LOL ,But i would probably be able to buy a few new sets of some nice speakers for the price of his saw!!
 
Nice work on the Mach 4 Rhino's there. As soon as time & weather permit, I'd like to get started on some bigger cabs for my Mach Two's. I've got the driver compliment and crossover nailed down so all that's needed is room for the woofers to breath. I'd like to keep with the walnut veneer finish on mine tho'. I'm thinking a rename on mine to MACH 2.2 :thmbsp:
 
Higher?

Hey Steve, have you tried raising the Rhino's to see how it affects bass? I get how stock Mach-Ones need to be closer to the floor for bass reinforcement but the larger cabs give better/deeper bass in their own. It would be interesting to see how it affects the rest of the freq range as well.

As a side note, has anyone considered a box-on-box enclosure set-up? Ala the B&W 801? Or is that too far a departure from the Mach series norm :scratch2:
 
Hey Steve, have you tried raising the Rhino's to see how it affects bass? I get how stock Mach-Ones need to be closer to the floor for bass reinforcement but the larger cabs give better/deeper bass in their own. It would be interesting to see how it affects the rest of the freq range as well.

As a side note, has anyone considered a box-on-box enclosure set-up? Ala the B&W 801? Or is that too far a departure from the Mach series norm :scratch2:

I have had them around 30" off the floor, the bass seemed good, and I liked the mid better since it isn't at ear level. I have them on the ground now, the horns are still very in your face but smoother. (remember, I have the whole set of drivers around six inches higher than stock). It is like having them raised off the floor. The funny thing is, if you get off to the side of the speakers the bass is boomier, and shakes your insides, it's not the same as if your in front of them. I'm not sure if the cabinets are resonating or what, they shake the walls and the floor also. It reminds me of when your at a stop light and someone pulls up with a serious boom boom stereo in their car. I'm still testing and making sure everything is run in on them.

I have not heard any chatter about the box on box type build, don't give me any new ideas PLEASE! :nono: :D
 
Back
Top Bottom