• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

modern tubetester

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
How does a Seco 88 rate as a tube tester ? I have a Jackson 648 but I looking to buy a newer type also . Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
How does a Seco 88 rate as a tube tester ? I have a Jackson 648 but I looking to buy a newer type also . Thanks

Hi Calman, there's not a lot of information on the Seco 88 that I found. I did find this from Alan Douglas' Tube Tester book that the 88 appears to be their budget model and does not measure Gm. The high-end Seco, the 107, is not rated very highly by Alan as the plate voltage sags when measuring high-powered tubes and the gas test is not the best.

I've been researching tube testers for about a year now. If I were looking for a tester to compliment your Jackson - which is a good tester BTW, I might look for a Heathkit TT-1A. A great Gm tester that tests most tubes from 4-pins to Magnovals and provides higher plate voltage than Hickoks. As they were kits you can rebuild and calibrate it easy enough. If you're looking for a 'newer' emission type tester you might find a Sencore Mighty Mite or a B&K 600/606 - great testers with the best grid leakage detection.

I know there's some really knowledgeable tube guys here but I've found the best place to get info on tube testers is the Test Equipment section of the Antique Radio Forum. Alan Douglas posts there as do many guys who worked with tube gear when that's all there was. So you might search there and ask what they know about the Seco 88.
 
Back
Top Bottom