• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modified DCM TFE200's.....World Reference Now

HiFiSoundGuy

Active Member
Banned
I did a small mod on these speakers that made them sound sooooooo Real now :banana I cut out the whole side walls of the midrange chamber. I don't know why DCM did not make them like this in the first place.....they sound alot better with open baffles in the midrange. This one of the best sounding I have ever heard....vintage or speakers made today! They sound alot better than my JBL L150A vintage speakers...some say they are one of the best sounding vintage speakers ever made.
 
Register to hide this ad
Need pictures of cut out area and shape?

Sorry....no way to post pictures right now. If anyone has these speakers and want to try this mod here's how you do it. Take a white marker and mark off a 1/2 inch at the top of the side walls all the way across the side walls at the top of the speakers. Next mark off 1/2 inch at the top of back side walls.....mark that 1/2 inch down 7 inches. Next mark off 1 inch on the top of the front side walls....mark that 1 inch down 7 inches. Next mark off 7 inches from the top of speaker down all the way across the speaker.......from the top of the speaker(wood part) down 7 inches is the bottom of the midrange chamber. Now take out the midrange driver and everything from the midrange chamber. Next take a drill with a drill bit that cuts a 1 inch hole and cut a hole in each of 4 corners on the side walls of the speaker. Now just cut out what you just out lined with the white marker to cut out on the side walls. I used a key hole saw but its better to use a jig saw to cut it out. (When cutting the side walls out make sure you don't cut off the wires going to the midrange driver) I also took out the wood braces on the front wall and back wall inside the midrange chamber. I also found out that these speakers sounded best with nothing at all in the midrange chamber. Now your done and you have speakers that sound more like the real thing and sound less like speakers.......... I THINK OF THESE MODIFIED DCM 'S AS MY MAGGIEVANDY SPEAKERS NOW.....................
 
Update on this mod......I cut the top and back wood off making this speaker a true open baffle speaker. Now they only have the front baffle with no wood around midrange. This improved things even more! UPDATE.... I'm using woods yard master patio cord from Wal-Mart $7.44.... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html for hookup wires from the crossover board out to the speaker cables. I'm also using this wire for hookup wires from the midrange driver down to the speaker cables....this midrange driver sounds AMAZING with no crossover cap in its path!.... After you have heard a GOOD open baffle speaker your never ever go back to a BOX speaker ever again!....... back to the music now.... Latest UPDATE.... I cut off the corners on front midrange baffle at the top of the speaker. I marked off 2 3/4 inches on each side of the midrange driver at the top of the speaker baffle and cut them off at a angle. Now the top of the speaker looks more ^ shaped. This improved things even more......drawing you into the music even more! Another UPDATE....... I did one more mod I rounded off the top part of the midrange baffles....this was better. I'm done with the mods now........Back to the music now!
 
Back
Top Bottom