• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

modifying a Sansui AU-D7

John Parkey

Member
Greetings everyone. Does anyone have suggested mods to an AU-D7 which would make it sound warmer and more tube like? I have searched and did not see any mods for this amp, but perhaps I missed one or two. Thank you for your help.
 
Register to hide this ad
People don't normally modify amplifiers that sound as good as the AU-D7 to sound 'different', this is the reason you haven't found it here, because nobody does it.

If you want something more 'tube like' sounding, try one of the Sansui xx1 series receivers, or one of the series that contains the AU-555 ? (i.e. AU-222, 555, 777 etc).

I am sure there are more, I hope others will suggest these as additional alternatives.
 
The best way would be to get a tube amp. But, perhaps that's Cpt. Obvious?

Reason I said it though is I mucked around with trying little things like using real thin speaker wires to add series resistance. To approximate the low DF typical of tube amps.

In the end, trying to develop tube-like sound from non-tube devices/methods always left me wondering/guessing if I had "it". So, finally just got the real thing.
 
Thank you Hyperion and Whoaru99. First, I recently bought the AU-D7 and the fellow had recapped the whole thing himself. Thus I am wondering if the somewhat sterile sound could be a result of that. I have no idea how to tell. Second, some other folks have told me that the Marantz 2216, 2220, 2226 and some of the Sansui receivers, 2000, 5000, are more tube like than the later models in both products lines. I certainly noticed this with a Marantz 2220B I owned until last week and a Sansui 2000A I own still. That is what I was referring to. Third, it could well be my setup. I am streaming Spotify through an iMac into a modified/upgraded Jolida FX DAC, then into the AU-D7, then to Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers. I have tried both a Kenwood KA-6100 and 7100 in the same setup and they sounded good, more forward treble and warmer overall, but I needed a bit more power and wanted to try the D7 anyway. Finally, I just purchased another D7 that is not working. I am going to take that to a good shop, so I just wanted to inquire here as to whether anything could be done since that amp will be gone over anyway by the shop. I listen to 70's and 80's light rock, female vocals, stringed instrument chamber music and solos. Thank you for your help.
 
Back
Top Bottom