• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mondegreens (Misheard Lyrics).

noogies

My Favorite Woofers.
Or "Mondegreens" (there, happy now?). This may have been done before, but a thread search reveals nothing, so here goes:

We all know the classic ones, like "Scuse me while I kiss this guy," or "There's a bathroom on the right," but what song lyrics have you personally heard wrong or otherwise misinterpreted?

What brought this to mind was, I was listening to "Voices Carry" by Aimee Mann and 'Til Tuesday. Great tune, and I hadn't heard it in ages. And then I recalled that when it first came out, I could have sworn the chorus went: "Hush, hush, keep it down now, you're so scary."

How 'bout you guys? Any personal favorites?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I think John Fogerty was a plumber in a former life.
CCR - There's A Bathroom On The Right (Bad Moon On The Rise)
CCR - Have You Ever Cleaned The Drain (Have You Ever Seen The Rain)

There is also a Black Keys song, Little Black Submarines, that I swear has a line that says "old can of beans", though I think its supposed to be "oh can it be?"
 
Just remembered another one -- when "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry was a big hit, my mother insisted that the chorus was "... play that f**kin' music, white boy..." to the point of calling up the radio station to complain about obscenity on the air. When apprised of her mistake, she didn't really think "funky" was that much of an improvement, and continued to snap the radio off every time the song played.
 
What brought this to mind was, I was listening to "Voices Carry" by Aimee Mann and 'Til Tuesday. Great tune, and I hadn't heard it in ages. And then I recalled that when it first came out, I could have sworn the chorus went: "Hush, hush, keep it down now, you're so scary."

How 'bout you guys? Any personal favorites?

When I was a little kid I always thought that was "Hush, hush, keep it down now, this is Aimee". I guess because I knew the singer's name was Aimee or some such silliness and that lyric has never been clear so you're not the only one who got it wrong!

Great song and pretty good band btw, I have all of their albums (and all of Mann's) now.

When I first heard Rush's "Closer to the Heart" from the live album Exit...Stage Left (so no lyrics and this was before the internet), I thought the line "to mould a new reality" was "the moment in reality". :o
 
Back
Top Bottom