• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II

Fairlane

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked these up this weekend locally in my neighborhood. I knew these were going to sound nice, probably really nice. I love the British monitor sound in general.

Not a lot of information on these other than a few reviews and some mention here on AK. That recommendation led me to check them out and go ahead and buy them.

Listened to them this weekend and find they do everything superbly. Mids and highs are crystal clear and bass is effortless and tight.

Unique looking speakers for sure with the elliptical woofer. Bought these from the original owners son. Sad but his dad was going into a home and I assured him these would be played, loved and taken care. Think I paid a fair price to both of us.

Running them with a restored 800C :music:

Thought I would share some pictures of them. I have the grills with the logos and the stands are original.


My little Boston was checking them out too.









 
Register to hide this ad
Will be interesting to see what others post about these. From what I could tell those are the first speakers MA produced? 1974 vintage?

The condition on those looks superb, I think you have a score. Maybe not the kind of score that merits a SCROE around this place but in my book those look fantastic, and I would been all over them had I seen them, just because of the MA name. Congrats.
 
Got them as a wedding present back 1980 by a nice audiophile! I have the walnut finish but the rosewood finish was 100.00 more or pair! They were lovely!
 
Any thoughts as to why these have the fuse plate removed? I just took them on trade and sound pretty nice! Was this a typical modification for some reason? It also looks like there was a tweeter diffuser at one point. I plan to pull the drivers and see what’s connected or if there are other crossover mods. Thanks for any info or suggestions and I am not finding much on the interweb.
104F3CE8-E592-4F60-BA95-72FAC94A0290.jpeg
A2836A1B-9ABF-4A6E-ADD8-C0442E8DA443.jpeg 1A80A448-1955-4119-A293-4ADF957D43D3.jpeg
F2410E06-304A-4498-8480-E9B763777BE8.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I have a pair and absolutely love their sound. They do everything I want effortlessly. I have yet to hear speakers I prefer.
 
Will be interesting to see what others post about these. From what I could tell those are the first speakers MA produced? 1974 vintage?

The condition on those looks superb, I think you have a score. Maybe not the kind of score that merits a SCROE around this place but in my book those look fantastic, and I would been all over them had I seen them, just because of the MA name. Congrats.

They are nice but definitely not the last word in bass reproduction. I always preferred the IMF ALS40's and 50's over the monitor audio.
 
I run a dual 1229 and a recapped sansui au-999 with my MA-3's. I agree 100% it is hard to find a better sounding speaker. Substantial is a word I would use to describe them apparently Martin Colloms designed them. The question is this the final stage of the quest for the holy grail?
 
Back
Top Bottom