• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mono - And why you should (Round 2) - Tubes - Amplification

Many thanks! :thumbsup: It's a lot of work to set up, but it's been a nice learning experience. Much, much different than configuring a Hi-Fi or guitar amp.

The key is the quality of the mics and the proper use of various sound panels. You have to record with as minimal amount of background noise as possible. Those darn mics will pick up EVERYTHING. Even the sound of a car passing by outside.
2e3b1db1-5684-4c15-879a-7aefa7d7aaf9.gif


I usually record about 3-4 takes to choose the best one.

457be39d-8040-4e46-8404-b607685d9cfb.jpg

Two AKG C414 mics in front of sound panels, about 12-18 inches from each L300 front grille.

55ce3642-70e9-45bc-8467-16b0ba399313.jpg



Mics are mixed on a Behringer Q102 mixer. Then fed into the built-in MP4 software in my Sony A7. Flat EQ. I do have two DIY JBL 136A (15-inch) powered subs.

I transfer the sound file to my computer. I usually reduce the files to 720p to speed up the upload time to YouTube.

Video of a recording with an onboard-camera Saramonic mixer.
Holy Crap! That's a lot of setup! Well done, man! :rockon:
 
A few good Mono amps that are low buck but have amazing sound and are easily found on eBay are:

1. Eico HF-20
2. Eico HF-12
3. Heathkit - EA3 and EA2
4. Knight KM-15
5. Calrad AP-15
6. Heathkit AC-9

The list above are all integrated amps, but a dedicated Mono Power amp and a nice stereo preamp is also a great combo, I can help with wiring or set up of either if needed, just ask.

If you run a mono power amp/stereo pre you just need to know where to place the summ.

If you run a Mono Power amp and Mono Preamp the summ will be connected to the source > amp. If you run a Mono Amp and a stereo Preamp the Summ will be tied to the pre output.

I may set up a power and pre amp today if I have time.

As for power amps, there are many on eBay for under $200 bucks in working cond.

Mono is also a great way to learn how to work on tube amps, being that the circuits are simplified to one channel it makes understanding the layout a lot simpler to understand.
Had the calrad myself.There is so many even obscure amps that if found would fit the bill .One being a tech-master tm 15a which uses Chicago output transformers. I had a pair of those as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom