• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monolith 10 inch THX certified

muziekfreak

Active Member
Please forgive me, I am not English so my grammar could be flawed and jumbled at times. I will try my utmost best to correct it where I can.


HT and STEREO, my setup..

Friday a week ago, As I sit in my overcompensating home theater, I love it the sound Is dead in the middle. And people? My HT is not just HT, it's build to have magnificent 2.0 sound too (bottom of the review for equipment) I listen to music in STEREO ONLY we do not play around with compromises here this was a must when I build this entire setup. This is of importance, as my review will reflect my experiences with movie thx, but also performance wise in 2.0! As my Anthem mrx510, allows me to have two separate room corrections for HT and STEREO. My subs are two huge DIY build monster of subs, 18inch each, in a down firing configuration.

Wait...before you upgrade? Understand what your problem is..

My setup is very able in both areas to produce glorious audible delight! But there is always room for improvement my low end. Was, well low end on the budget 2 massive 18inch jbls sounds "wow" they are. But these were PA intended subs, they are not long-throw and that's so important! You need that cone movement to move air. And these subs, I still have them and will not part from them but they lack dynamic range and above all quality. 40hz or so and it slopes down, like a steep ravine after that, I understood my problem "I need a sub that goes deeper, and can perform as such without fluttering itself apart" especially for me as I play with magnepan speakers. As some of you know, magnepan is not known for their amazing low end reach.

Now that I understood my weak link, tons of research and reading SVS, REL what have you not.
Long story short, read a very good audioholics review on each model Monolith they tested. And I was less scared jumping into the deep with monoprice.

93606A40-8AF1-44A8-A574-6B98C4E17B53.jpeg.jpg

Why 10inc and not 12 or 15 or?

I want to get real side tables, which are now my subwoofers
And the performance is there these days, to justify a GOOD 10inch in a setup for low end imho.
I write this down for the reason that people understand my approach on my situation.

And for the price (if I won't like it send them back), I can get two as I always run with two subs. The jump to their 12 inch on the same amp is 300usd for each.

Arrival of the 10inch Monolith subwoofer (bass reflex version)

This huge box, when I came home sat on the driveway, eager I get out of my truck and start hauling it up.
I cannot recall, hating my house being a split foyer but man I hated my stairs. Close to 80pounds heavy, made me invent new cuss words as I struggle up my staircase. However, also a smile, I was excited heavy equipment is my "thing" so I park it on my couch. Cut open the box, pull that sub out it's deeper than I thought and what a woofer! Thick surround, stiff as a couple of knocks on the cone confirmed that with utmost certainty.

Now before I proceed with the experience(s) I want to note, the plate amp is crazy how well that is build. 500watt RMS class D, aside from your normal controls, phase, FQ and volume it houses XLR balanced, and XLR passthrough ! That's very impressive on this price point, THX settings all you do is set the sub to THX, and the receiver will do the rest with calibrating it.

I kept it easy, set all the settings (volume on THX) and crossover on THX setting and I ran 2 calibrations with my Athem mrx510 ready......set …….

61d7sYhjaxL._SL1200_.jpg


Movies (not corner loaded setup, sub placed in middle of setup)

The avengers 1st one, is to me always a good reference blu ray to use. Quickly skipped to the, war scene where lots is happening on the LFE channel. It sounded, pretty good but nothing special it was flat and empty. Checking all the wires, maybe I should place it somewhere else, but for now lets break this in a little, and as I kept watching it got better. Full low, big rumbles and tight and accurate sounding, still slightly flat like there is a gap. So a quick test tone generator from 20hz and up confirmed, my hearing was accurate around 60hz I doesn't even reflect it the listening spot.

Music(not corner loaded setup, sub placed in middle of setup)

This is different, less speakers involved and my tympani always had the tendency to project sound smack in the middle. This was not lost, with recalibrating the system (thank you ARC as that would have pissed me off) same issue. The sub was underwhelming, even calibrated in THX or manual setup I felt it needed to be pushed way to hard to be noticeable in my setup. I got frustrated, to the point that I was ready to just pack it back in. Send it back, and get an SVS, I grabbed the manual of the sub and it actually provided me with some handy tips on how to set it up properly.

So I found out, did not even notice the sub being out of phase! The knob was set to 180 not 0 this was a DUMB but easy to make mistake. Quickly, I set phase to 0, redid the calibration.....

YES! YES, low was abundant there, deep and tight the amp clearly is able to control this 10inch double magnet woofer. It was actually even a bit to much for my liking, so I switched it back to THX redid a calibration. A world of difference, the sub blended easily with the magnepan.

61E-bo43pbL._SL1200_.jpg

Movies (corner loaded, set in corner of the room)​
​
I decided to corner load, and see what I gain and this is where the big difference came into play.​
The low end, became room filling deep (20hz confirmed with test tones) confirmed! I was stunned of how deep this sub went. It does 20hz, a 10inch let that sink in people however with a HUGE caveat.​
​
Monoprice claims it can go as low as 20hz, however! It will flutter on higher volumes, which makes sense 20hz or even lower is absolute torture even for the big woofers. Let alone a 10inch, still it did it. By stepping up 1hz at a time, 27hz and up you notice the sub no longer flutters it's tight deep low.​
This by my standards is super impressive this type of performance is hitting close to REL territory (Studio III can go 9hz) for a price most buy a secondhand car for. So 27hz corner loaded? for 500usd, that's amazing.​
​
Music (corner loaded, set in corner of the room)​
​
Music, add in the DSP profile a +2db on the sub, I just like it a bit heavier on the low with my music. That's just my preference, again full dynamic low in perfect unison with my maggies, even cranked up a good bit did not buckle or become muddy. Went so much deeper than my 18 inch jbls, just as I hoped it would this was a very good choice.​
​
​
Conclusion ​
​
This subwoofer, is something else I can tell you that. It's build like a brick house, the woofer is double magnet, die cast basket, 500watt amp class D, THX certified, XLR it's pretty crazy what monoprice has delivered here. These are often things you see in subs double the price, the cabinet is 80 pounds says it all really. They use HDF instead of MDF making sure the cabinet won't resonate, the speaker grille is WOOD framed, not plastic..​
​
I am still in awe, how much quality you get for the 499 spend..​
​
However, a few considerations with the bigger systems/room like mine? Get two, or go for one of the bigger ones. Corner loading is almost a must with this tiny beast in my case, which will be corrected with number 2, off course, I ordered another one while writing this review. This sub is totally worth every single cent you will spend on it, very pleasing and it looks the part too. What I have heard so far? I cannot imagine any of their bigger models are bad.​




Setup

79173308_238984167084340_1658830925082918912_n.jpg


Magnepan Tympani I, Magnepan MMGi, Magnepan MMG2, Anthem MRX510 (used as pre)
Crestron (ATI) CNAMPX 7x300w 4ohm class A/B, Sansui srs626,XUV pickering,Monolith 10inch

Monolith compared to, 2x JBL JRX100 18inch downfiring subs, powered by Crown XLS 1502
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for taking the time to review the sub. I took a look, and monoprice has come a long way, it looks like a pretty good performer for the money. I would humbly submit that for music, usually a sealed design is best for tight bass. My go to sub brand is Hsu Research, and their comparable model to the Monolith 10 inch is the VTF-2 MK 5. It is $40 more and goes a little bit lower, and several db louder. Still, a pretty solid offering from Monoprice.

I've got the Hsu ULS-15 MK 2 in the 2 channel system. If you ever want to upgrade in subwoofer size to 15", for $740 this sub pounds. It's an 18 inch cube so a smaller foot print. I've also got the VTF-15H in the theater system. A much bigger box and $900, but with its vented design and 16 Hz bottom end, will really shake your world!
 
Thanks for taking the time to review the sub. I took a look, and monoprice has come a long way, it looks like a pretty good performer for the money. I would humbly submit that for music, usually a sealed design is best for tight bass. My go to sub brand is Hsu Research, and their comparable model to the Monolith 10 inch is the VTF-2 MK 5. It is $40 more and goes a little bit lower, and several db louder. Still, a pretty solid offering from Monoprice.

I've got the Hsu ULS-15 MK 2 in the 2 channel system. If you ever want to upgrade in subwoofer size to 15", for $740 this sub pounds. It's an 18 inch cube so a smaller foot print. I've also got the VTF-15H in the theater system. A much bigger box and $900, but with its vented design and 16 Hz bottom end, will really shake your world!

the sub can be acquired closed but comes with port plugs to make it a sealed design. Rated at 20hz, however ratings are often inflated I guarantee you that most subs will hit 20 under protest.
There is simply not enough cone (even a 15 will have trouble to really put 20hz in a room on proper volumes)

The obsession with sub low 20hz marks is relatively useless. Most music or movies for what matter will not really hit at 20hz. A test tone confirms that it’s super deep (the 10inch will do it may it be in lower volumes I shook our paintings on the wall) if I ever upgrade I all go for sure for a 15 monolith. All their subs can be used sealed (comes with the plugs) or you can get them sealed as such.

I also need to mention a very important thing here ..

all their subs come with 5 year warranty and 30 day return policy. At those price points? That’s insane, they also have a dual 15 inch with slotted vent.. which is according to audioholics one of the best subs they ever tested at this price point.
However that one seems to be out of stock relatively often.
 
Last edited:
5 year warranty, that's outstanding! To me that means that they are quite serious about supporting their products. And at that price point too.
 
5 year warranty, that's outstanding! To me that means that they are quite serious about supporting their products. And at that price point too.

I just read that monoprice will also start offering the amplifiers in case of a defect. As customers, had
Issues with shipping the entire sub back.
The lightest one is the 10 inch at nearly 80 pounds and 130 for the 15 inch not pleasant!

They seem to listen to their customers, in the future they want to offer optional just parts replacements.
Nothing is confirmed, just read how monoprice reacted back to those inquiries.

I am now one day in , the woofer has considerably gained punch (break in period ) i am super happy with my purchase. And stoked to get the second one in, I don’t think you can really go wrong with these subs.

My 18 inch subs are definitely decommissioned, which was my goal, and again those can move some air. But this little monolith ?! Punch, grabs way deeper with more authority and balls. The hype is real around these subs.

i cannot imagine how the 15 inch (1000w rms amp in that one) would perform. Hearing mine, must be glorious I am sure.

btw a look at this 10 inch

71E7C774-1F91-4A4C-A5D0-FB45B1A6968E.jpeg
 
I do disagree with you on the idea that movies don't have below 20 HZ effects. Many of them in fact do, and its something that you feel more than hear. It's a big part of what makes the action movie experience so dramatic. When I replaced my old Paradigm 10" sub with the Hsu, the difference was night and day. Also, the idea that subwoofers will only hit 20 Hz under protest is wrong, both of my subs have no trouble with 20 hz and well below.

I will also add that subwoofer db specs do matter. The Monolith 10" THX sub will hit 106.9 db at 31.5 hz, according to the Audioholics review. The comparable Hsu sub, the VTF-2 MK5, will hit 117.8 db at 31.5 hz, and it handily outperforms the monolith at every frequency. But outperforming by 11 db, that's huge. The Monolith also is somewhat lacking in the looks department with what appears to be vinyl wrap and odd corners on the cabinet. It is what it is, a budget design that will do okay in small rooms. For $40 more, the Hsu sub really is in another class.

When I first got the Hsu VTF-15H I demo'd it with a cd that HSU included with it, a selection of music that has really low notes, plus some testing material that demonstrates what various frequencies actually sound like. Anyway, when we tried the track that has the 18 Hz organ notes, the invoice paper was sitting about 5 feet in front of the sub. When the low note hit, the paper actually blew across the room! I couldn't believe it. Also, the dishes in the kitchen started rattling, it really impressed me. I admit I've become somewhat of an addict for low bass.
 
Uhh yah rw
I do disagree with you on the idea that movies don't have below 20 HZ effects. Many of them in fact do, and its something that you feel more than hear. It's a big part of what makes the action movie experience so dramatic. When I replaced my old Paradigm 10" sub with the Hsu, the difference was night and day. Also, the idea that subwoofers will only hit 20 Hz under protest is wrong, both of my subs have no trouble with 20 hz and well below.

I will also add that subwoofer db specs do matter. The Monolith 10" THX sub will hit 106.9 db at 31.5 hz, according to the Audioholics review. The comparable Hsu sub, the VTF-2 MK5, will hit 117.8 db at 31.5 hz, and it handily outperforms the monolith at every frequency. But outperforming by 11 db, that's huge. The Monolith also is somewhat lacking in the looks department with what appears to be vinyl wrap and odd corners on the cabinet. It is what it is, a budget design that will do okay in small rooms. For $40 more, the Hsu sub really is in another class.

When I first got the Hsu VTF-15H I demo'd it with a cd that HSU included with it, a selection of music that has really low notes, plus some testing material that demonstrates what various frequencies actually sound like. Anyway, when we tried the track that has the 18 Hz organ notes, the invoice paper was sitting about 5 feet in front of the sub. When the low note hit, the paper actually blew across the room! I couldn't believe it. Also, the dishes in the kitchen started rattling, it really impressed me. I admit I've become somewhat of an addict for low bass.

super late response been to busy

ya I read their entire review , the hsu is almost on every front inferior to the monolith ☝️
It reaches that fr due to port tuning.

It’s a cheap stamped basket woofer... monolith is most definitely not. You like veneer, I like better drivers and cabinets !

350w or so plate amp not sure if they updated (again) , monolith 500w that’s a significant difference for lot less money too.

Mdf where the monolith weights lot more being hdf ,
3/4 inch cabinet for the hsu, and way more option in the amp than the hsu (is it even thx certified?!) not sure didn’t read to deep into it.

Myah I stopped reading about the magnificent hsu really. On many fronts that monolith, is far superior, audioholics even explains how the hsu is tuned to drop that deep. As the woofer isn’t capable of doing it physically at all .

No offense I am glad I didn’t buy the hsu, I don’t need a extra 11hz (I would love to see a measurement of that woofer) its a light toy box compared to the monolith.

mad far looks goes? You’re kidding me right, that hsu looks so cheap, check the port flares on the monolith subs . Then hsu not even flared let alone it looks nicer but that’s taste. You like a square brick , I don’t.. also svs has similar cabinets to the monolith (edges like that)

I have heard rumors that the designer of svs had a hand in the monolith range of subs. But that’s speculation I cannot substantiate.

i rather have the overbuild monolith and doing the fr it promises, doing it tight and smooth which they do. I rather don’t have a veneer cabinet. I rather see a thicker more well constructed one (again audioholics makes it a cons, too with hsu relatively cheap made cabinet with virtually no bracing)

Not trying to sound like a ass (I know some here take it stupid personally, in that case just mute me I don’t hold hands) here, but again I am glad I didn’t get one of those. I got plenty of low end in my system with two of these.

Plus i beefed up amplification(Crown xls 2502) on my 18 inch jbls .
I really don’t need more than that, regardless of brand. I never missed the so called “there is under 20hz more to get” also I CALL MAJOR BS on you claiming your subs will flawlessly hit 20hz, I have never seen a sub aside from REL do it without effort and doing it convincingly! I call bs on it , I never seen a budget 10inch sub hit 20hz clean on the listening spot again convincing enough to be wowed by it.

I think it gets silly to even think about it, as most rooms and 10inch cones displacing convincingly 20hz (it’s physics) as it is. You can tell me up and down how wrong I am that’s fine .. I call bs on that claim, 20hz flat .. that’s svs mid-top model territory ..

And you can blow invoices all you want, my 18 inch subs do all that and then some . Doesn’t mean it’s pretty or even 20hz .

But both brands seem to do very good in sales and have their stronger and weaker points. But imho ... I will never switch out my monolith for the hsu you mentioned above.

I don’t know man, I am happy got two of them to support fronts , got two 18 inch jbls in the back which displace more air than a air compressor haha

Just my take on it, I am not a reviewer but I had subs here well passing 3000usd price tags. I still regret getting rid of the older rels I had with volt drivers. I am not entirely idiotic about the subject.

I am satisfied, if I upgrade I will go for 15 inch subs. There is no substitute for displacement by the bigger cones.
 
Last edited:
Also, the idea that subwoofers will only hit 20 Hz under protest is wrong, both of my subs have no trouble with 20 hz and well below.
At the last audio show I attended, Dr. Hsu himself demonstrated how one of his subwoofers could reproduce the lowest organ note of 16 Hz. He has made subwoofers for decades now--I first heard of his subs in the early 90s when he used to put them in tube-shaped enclosures.
 
Back
Top Bottom