• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monster Tape Recorder and Matching Tube Amp - Worth Saving?

artdecoradio

Active Member
I just purchased at a yard sale this weekend a massive Berlant Concertone tape recorder which weighs a TON (model number unknown) and a Berlant Concertone Recording Amplifier (Model BRX-P), both in matching red cases for $20. They are in good shape (a bit dirty) and here's some pictures:

Question: I would assume that the amp is worth saving (it has a nice bunch of Telefunken tubes in it including some 12AX7s) although I don't know anything about it. Is the recorder worth saving or should I just part it out or junk it. I don't collect tape recorders and this one is probably going to need a total overhaul since it hasn't been used for many many years. What do you guys think? By the way, is it just me or does the front of the recorder look like an angry robot?? :)recamp3.jpg recamp.2.jpg recamp.1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very cool looking. The tape machine itself looks like a robot head. Face and all!
The amplifier could probably easily built I to a guitar amp head. Its cool looking on its own. It would be a shame to strip the Telefunken tubes out and toss it. Maybe put some other 12ax7's in it.
 
Last edited:
If it were mine, I'd be very tempted to keep a matching set together. I guess it all depends on the level of effort for the tape player. The amp would be a definite yes, but i like challenges.
 
Agree with Schanz; I'd keep it together. I think you might get some good advice over on Tapeheads as well. Limited group of folks capable of getting this going, but a classic and quite capable mono recorder in its day. Refurb by a pro. But if not I'd wipe it down, an put it on a shelf to stare at children. That thing is bomb proof.
 
If you got them for 20 you have nothing to lose by just keeping them if nothing else!:)
 
Well, I was just getting out the axe, screwdriver, and hammer to junk-out the transport unit (recorder) and now you guys are making me feel guilty about chopping it up. I received a message from a guy who told me that it's extremely rare, especially in the red-colored case. So, I thought that, maybe if I plugged it in and it didn't run, that it would then be justified for me to junk it. So, I plugged it in and, amazingly, all of the motors, drive mechanisms, etc. worked smoothly and quietly! So, I gave it a "stay of execution", put it in a box and took it inside the house. I don't know what I'll do with it but I just don't have the heart to junk it now! I'm going to restore the amp and, in fact, I've already started doing it (all of the tubes were perfect including 2 Telefunken 12AX7s.)
 
Back
Top Bottom