• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

More praise for JICO

Heaviside

Active Member
Last night I received my JICO stylus straight from the factory in Japan. The process was easy--ordered from their web site, paid by PayPal, delivered relatively quickly by the post office, packaged well with detailed technical information.

This is the Super Analog Stylus (SAS) designed to replace the hyper eliptical sylus on the Shure V15 Type III.

My first impression while installing it: boy, that's a small diamond!

Last night my son and I put it through its paces with the following records: Thick as a Brick, Working Man's Dead, and Jesus Christ Superstar. The theory was that we have listened to these albums many times both in the old days and recently, so they were good test subjects.

We were both very impressed with the sound. The tonal balance seemed close to optimum (I had been complaining about excessive brightness with the old styli that I had been using). I heard things that I had never picked up on before. For example, I must have heard Casey Jones 1000 times over the years, but I never noticed the snort at the very beginning, or at least it never stood out before to the point that I realized the significance (maybe I'm a little dense!).

One thing we noticed that has been pointed out by others: it does pick up dirt and imperfections pretty aggressively. My records have been well cared for for the most part, but I don't have a cleaning machine--yet. So we are hearing a few more ticks and pops, but those don't really bother me much. It's always seemed like part of the record listening experience.

Anyway, the JICO doesn't seem to have needed a break-in period as it is producing some pretty awesome music right out of the box, and we are very pleased so far.

Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
The dirt thing is a condition of all the line contacts I have ever played. They do dig deep and they will dredge the bottom of the groove. I've found that repetitive and aggressive cleaning will get you past most of that :)

I have a Spin-Clean and it works fine as long as the pads are conditioned, the LP is pre-washed to get the obvious off and the S-P is just for the deep stuff. I like Windex to get the old "life style" films and junk off, before the S-P gets to do the groove bottoms.

Glad it's working. I have a HE on my Type IV, but always thinking about an SAS.
 
G'day all, ditto on the SAS stylus. I think it is just quite remarkable the improvement in recovered detail that a good stylus can provide. :yes:

Having said that though, in the case of the SAS I feel that the use of the boron cantilever is part of the magic. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Felix I have to agree that the boron canteliver and the stylus on the JICO SAS is all part of formula for sucess. Heaviside niow that you have the JICO SAS rid yourself of the clicks/pops and take the big step forward and get a RCM, it will be the biggest upgrade in vinyl you will ever hear.
 
I bought the JICO as a result of your collective opinions. This is a great forum. Thanks.

I've been reading the JICO literature and looking at the profile of the diamond. With such a small contact area, wouldn't we expect it to wear out pretty quickly? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dan
 
I pulled my Shure 91e with JICO stylus and installed a Grado Gold. I was comparing the two stylus's and was of the impression that I messed up the JICO stylus somehow. The JICO sure is tiny in comparison.
 
JICO are tops in my department!

I agree. Put a JICO on my M55 Shure. Cost was about $35. While not their top of the line it sounds great on my 1219. Picked up a hjeadshell for a 1200 series Dual off Ebay. Seller said it had a nice stylus which was broken.:thumbsdn: Sold some stuff and got a stylus for the M91ED for another Dual 1219. Again, not a top of the line. Sounds great. Had some $$ left. Bought a stylus for a Shure M3D for 21.99. Had one in high school. At the time it was Ok but the M44 and M55s were better. The M3D came with a junk Dual. After all the fuss here and what M3Ds go for on Ebay I figured if I hated it I could dump it. With the JICO its not bad. Great for 50s LPs. Put it on a 1219 and its not bad.May end up on a 1229. Great company!

Eric
 
Evening two of listening to the JICO, and still impressed. Tonight's records were American Beauty, Dire Straits, and Wish You Were Here.

Here's a question for JICO users--forgive me if it's been answered before. What is the correct percentage of anti-skate to use with such a stylus? I am assuming that the low contact area results in significantly less friction than even an eliptical stylus, so skating force would be lower.

At the moment, I have my SME arm set for 1 gram of tracking force and anti-skate on the third notch (appropriate for 3/4 gram tracking force on a standard stylus). Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom