• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

most desireable Marantz rcvrs/amps?

albireo13

Active Member
Just a fun question. I see so many posts of diferent Marantz vintage stuff. I like the build quality and looks of old 22xx rcvrs and same vintage amps.
However, I've only used a 2226B and my current 2250b.

What do folks consider the most desireable rcvr to own?
... for sound quality reasons?
... for collectability reasons?
 
Register to hide this ad
Marantz stuff I like:

2230
2275
2325
2500
Model 8
Model 9
Model 7c and t
250
500

There is more but that should be enough for any audiophile.
 
Last edited:
Judging from Audiokarma posts, people generally tend to like the 2230 the most, it seems.

Could it be because of its unusually warm sound? Possibly. It is a capacitor coupled model and has a more old fashioned (warm) sound.
 
Just a fun question. I see so many posts of diferent Marantz vintage stuff. I like the build quality and looks of old 22xx rcvrs and same vintage amps.
However, I've only used a 2226B and my current 2250b.

What do folks consider the most desireable rcvr to own?
... for sound quality reasons?
... for collectability reasons?

Ah receivers only.

Most collectible: Model 19, 4400, 2500, 2600
Best sounding: 2285, 2330 both non-B.
 
Judging from Audiokarma posts, people generally tend to like the 2230 the most, it seems.

Could it be because of its unusually warm sound? Possibly. It is a capacitor coupled model and has a more old fashioned (warm) sound.

True, I have 2 of the 2230 and I have the big boy 2330 and I find the 2230 that sounds warmer and a little better!
 
Ah receivers only.

Most collectible: Model 19, 4400, 2500, 2600
Best sounding: 2285, 2330 both non-B.

Why is the 2285 better than the 2285B? I agree the 2285B is nothing special, though I did recap the unit with Panny FCs and replace all the outputs with Onsemi before hearing it (was a basket case), so maybe that had an adverse effect on sound.

The 2230 gets my vote, but the only other Marantz I've had is the 2285B.
 
I like the 19 and the 2600. Hmmm... I wonder if I'm biased since I have them? Nah, that can't be it. :D
 
Why is the 2285 better than the 2285B? I agree the 2285B is nothing special, though I did recap the unit with Panny FCs and replace all the outputs with Onsemi before hearing it (was a basket case), so maybe that had an adverse effect on sound.

The 2230 gets my vote, but the only other Marantz I've had is the 2285B.

The dual core caps are unobtanium. (That being said, some of our resident techs have come with innovative solutions for replacements.) The 2285 has dual heat sinks and dual driver boards, unlike the 2285B. Better separation of the two channels translates to better sound, IMO.
 
Anything with a scope or power meter or engraved face ...... or maybe hurts to pick it up.
 
Back
Top Bottom