• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most magical piece of equipment?

Originally posted by VinylHanger
When I got my Fisher 500c and hooked them up to my Large Advents. I was like, Wow, Crap, this is neat ;)

I've run that set up before, it did indeed sound pretty good. I ran the Advents on one speaker output and my KLH 17's on the second. Trying to see what what I liked better. The Advents had a bit sweeter highs, the mids were about the same. I felt the Fisher didn't have enough guts to drive the Advent woofers. There was more bass but sounded a lot sloppier than the 17's. But then again, I've been running my Fisher for a few days with a set of LaScala's and couldn't stand the sound, she's due for a trip to NOSvalves for an overhaul.

As far as my most magical, still has to be my Marantz 2130. I still here things on the Detroit NPR station that I swear sounds better than when I play it on CD. Plus I love to watch the scope.

X
 
Originally posted by Punker X
As far as my most magical, still has to be my Marantz 2130. I still here things on the Detroit NPR station that I swear sounds better than when I play it on CD. Plus I love to watch the scope.

X

Can't believe what those 2130's go for on ePay! Is the price out of line, or is that tuner hands down better than just about anything else out there?
 
Originally posted by whell
Can't believe what those 2130's go for on ePay! Is the price out of line, or is that tuner hands down better than just about anything else out there?

I haven't heard everything else out there. I have been able to compair it to a lot of other tuners though and I still find it magical. There's been a few that have come very close. For Marantz tuners I think it is the best, I've never laid my hands on a 10B, but they go for 2 to 3 times what a 2130 goes for. Are they worth the money they go for, probably not. I did pay the going rate for my, but got refunded some money because of some problems with the tuner, that were suppose to have been taken care of by "Don Scott". Then I sold the wood case because I had one in better condition from my old 2110, so my investment in the tuner is considerable less than the going price.

X
 
Magical system

Although I have had far better my most magical setup was my first Kenwood receiver (dont remember the model) it had a two tone brown case that I promptly painted black. This was 1973. . . I had it hooked up to a pair of naked car speakers untill I could find some good speakers, then I found a pair of Pioneer knock off speakers and from that moment untill about 1975 it was party time at my house. I was between marriages and jobs and had to make do with nothing. I owned better gear prior and later but none with the excitement to go along with it.

I think that old receiver was about 50wpc as we could blast the whole neighborhood and did so on many occassions. Put that volume knob on 12 O'Clock and it was still loud across the street in my neighbors house and many times it was left in that state for hours at a time. . . My younger brother still has this system today and it still brings goosebumps today.
 
I think it's magical that big sound comes from the tiny grooves of vinyl LPs. It still amazes me....

Cheers,

- Harald
 
I can't really say if it was the Polk Model 7s or the Rega Planar2, got them both about the same time and still have them. The Rega is even better now with the RB300 arm.

All of the Yamahas around the house have worked their magic as well, that's why they are still here.

Another 'magical moment' has been every pair of speakers that I have re-foamed, Infinitys, EPIs, small Advents and Large Advents. There is just something about hearing the results of your work.

Rob
 
Before the boatanchors there was a little cheapy Grundig AM/FM/SW that started it all for me. Playing around on the 41 meter band,I picked up London, Germany, & the evil Ruskies. Magic! been downhill ever since. -Sandy G.
 
It all goes back to this little four inch driver. I bought a pair of small sealed speakers from Rat Shack in 1969 that had the richest sound I had ever heard. (I want to say they were called Minimus 100's.) Anyway, they were based on a Poplar Science project that used a Fostex F-103 driver, as did the Realistic's. The F-103 had a large horseshoe AlNiCo magnet and the same identical cone that you see below. Foster/Fostex used this cone for many years as the F-103, FE-103 (ferrite), FE-107 (ferrite shielded) and the FE-108 Sigma (ferrite with a lower Q for horns). I've owned the latter for four years now in back loaded horns and couldn't be happier. The exponential horn magnifies the bass response where the driver's bottom end begins to roll off @ 80Hz and I've carefully measured the in-room response to be 55 to 18,000Hz (-3dB). Sadly, after nearly 40 years of producing these drivers, Foster/Fostex saw fit to discontinue them. :( (But I do have a backup pair in boxes! ;) )
 
most magical piece was the marantz model 2600.
what a savage this thing is!
32 kilo's (64 pounds)
sold it for a good price:D
 
When I saw a pair of these in a guys attic it was love at first sight, then after we hauled the 100+lbs beasts downstairs and he hooked them up to a Sansui AU-G77X amp and a CD player and he blasted Pearl Jam's "Alive" I decided we should never be apart again, actually I think I shall be buried with them when I die:
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by CELT
It all goes back to this little four inch driver. I bought a pair of small sealed speakers from Rat Shack in 1969 that had the richest sound I had ever heard. (I want to say they were called Minimus 100's.) Anyway, they were based on a Poplar Science project that used a Fostex F-103 driver, as did the Realistic's. The F-103 had a large horseshoe AlNiCo magnet and the same identical cone that you see below. Foster/Fostex used this cone for many years as the F-103, FE-103 (ferrite), FE-107 (ferrite shielded) and the FE-108 Sigma (ferrite with a lower Q for horns). I've owned the latter for four years now in back loaded horns and couldn't be happier. The exponential horn magnifies the bass response where the driver's bottom end begins to roll off @ 80Hz and I've carefully measured the in-room response to be 55 to 18,000Hz (-3dB). Sadly, after nearly 40 years of producing these drivers, Foster/Fostex saw fit to discontinue them. :( (But I do have a backup pair in boxes! ;) )

Celt 55 Hz isn't very low, question: Is this enough low end for your tastes or your music, or do you use a sub or some such to fill in the low end?
 
Thor...55 Hz is only down 3dB. They are more than usable to 40Hz which is Low-E on a Bass guitar. All I have to do is goose the Bass control (centered @ 50Hz) slightly to give me all the slam I need. The speakers are extremely dynamic and do not compress easily. They will effortlessly play @ 106dB levels from my listening position which is roughly nine feet away. And for those who are wondering, they DO NOT modulate the mids or highs under heavy bass loads. To top it off, they have excellent off-axis respone, so the listening position is not critical with them.(However because of the horn, they are picky as hell about where THEY are in the room!)
 
1. My DCM Timeframe 700 speakers. When I first heard them at the CES in Vegas, they were prototypes. They blew me away! They are completely transparent soundwise, with pinpoint imaging and great extension in the bass. I had to wait for the first production run to buy mine. I was on the phone to the store nearly every day; "Are they there yet?" Best value in speakers hands down!

2. My Onkyo Grand Integra M508 amp. Silky smooth sound, depth, imaging, power, it has it all!
 
Originally posted by CELT
Thor...55 Hz is only down 3dB. They are more than usable to 40Hz which is Low-E on a Bass guitar. All I have to do is goose the Bass control (centered @ 50Hz) slightly to give me all the slam I need. The speakers are extremely dynamic and do not compress easily. They will effortlessly play @ 106dB levels from my listening position which is roughly nine feet away. And for those who are wondering, they DO NOT modulate the mids or highs under heavy bass loads. To top it off, they have excellent off-axis respone, so the listening position is not critical with them.(However because of the horn, they are picky as hell about where THEY are in the room!)

I would really like to hear a pair of those single driver type speakers some day.
 
Ouestion: Why was the Pioneer SX-1980 a big disappointment, can you please elaborate a little more on that.
Polar Bear



Originally posted by Bigerik
Hi All
<snip>

. Biggest disappointment? Pioneer SX-1980.
Any thoughts?
Erik
 
Hey thor, how about some pics showing the front grill off, let's see what makes this thing tick.:D
Polar Bear


Originally posted by THOR
When I saw a pair of these in a guys attic it was love at first sight, then after we hauled the 100+lbs beasts downstairs and he hooked them up to a Sansui AU-G77X amp and a CD player and he blasted Pearl Jam's "Alive" I decided we should never be apart again, actually I think I shall be buried with them when I die:
 
Re: Re: Most magical piece of equipment?

Originally posted by Polar Bear
Ouestion: Why was the Pioneer SX-1980 a big disappointment, can you please elaborate a little more on that.
Polar Bear

Had a completely restored SX-1250 at the time. Also a Sansui AU-517/TU-717 combo. Soundwise it just wasn't as clean as either. AWESOMELY powerful, but just not as clean sounding as the 1250 or Sansui. Better bass, but just not as magical.....
 
Back
Top Bottom