• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mounting a Pioneer PL-518 tonearm on PL-514

Tom from IL

Member
I recently purchased a tonearm baseplate for a PL-518 for the tonearm rest to replace a broken one on a PL-514 I am working on. It was cheaper to buy the whole plate with tonearm for the rest than the rest by itself.

Anyhow, I like the tonearm from the 518 so I installed it on the 514. My question is regarding the anti skate mechanism between the two. I did not transfer the 518 anti skate from the 518's baseplates and I am finding that I need to set the 514's anti skate at at least 1g (lower) between counterweight and the anti skate settings. This amount of variance does change when I change the head shell/ cartridge combination. All of the combinations have a recommended tracking force between 1.2-1.5g.

Is the difference due to the lateral weight on the PL-518? Do I need to transfer the anti skate from the 518 tonearm baseplate?

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_2805 (2).jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a PL-71 that has a lateral weight. It certainly does stabilize the arm and its AS performance. I'll assume you are now setting the AS lighter......?
 
I have a PL-71 that has a lateral weight. It certainly does stabilize the arm and its AS performance. I'll assume you are now setting the AS lighter......?

Yes. With the original head shell (9.5g) with a Empire C2000E mounted about .5 g less. With a Pioneer head shell from earlier model (7-7.5g) with a B&O MMC4000 on adapter about 1g less.

jp-505 jp505.jpg
pp-303 pp303.jpg

The tracking force on the MMC4000 is 1.2g. I am almost zeroing out the AS.
 
I don't own either of those tables so I can't really help, but what you've said seems to make sense.

I'm assuming the higher designation arm is slightly lighter than what it replaced and that's why you're now finding the sweet spot on the original antiskate is now lighter to compensate.

If it were mine I'd leave it as is, as antiskate setting to the VTF is a rough guideline and is best adjusted by ear from there.

As long as it's working I'd leave it rather than go through the hassles of pulling the arm off and rebuilding it with the other antiskate plates.
 
Thanks for the reply, MacGM. Appreciate the input.

The tonearm assembly was rather simple to transfer. I would suspect the AS would be a rather painless move as well.
Actually, the build of these turntables is very simple. (as compared to a vintage Dual.)

I like the late 70's Pioneer tables: PL-514, 516, 518. Solid construction, stable speed and still plenty of available parts on the secondary market.
 
Back
Top Bottom