• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Movin' to Arizona!- Need some help

vintagefloyd73

Active Member
Hello. Im moving to Tempe, Arizona in less than 6 months. I was wondering if anyone here lives in Arizona, and can tell me some good techs that fix vintage equipment in that area. I was also wondering if anyone knew of some good record stores in that area. Any info, or suggestions, comments etc, are ALWAYS appreciated. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I see that you have mostly Pioneer gear. Pustelniakr lives in Tuscon AZ and is well regarded as a Pioneer tech.
As far as record stores goed Zia records in Tempe used to carry a lot of stuff the chains don't. Tempe is a major college town and has a lot of thrifts full of old albums as well.
There are some other members in the PHX area that rebuild,resell units but I don't know if they take in outside work or not.
 
just down the street from the university is Memory Lane Records-- search for them on the net, they have a large, high quality selection of vintage vinyl. and in north central phoenix is Trax 'n' Wax-- very old school 1971 lookin rock and roll record store

and it would be worth making friends with mr. pustelniak
 
I would also join the Arizona Audio club - a great place to shop is near Glendale - called Audionut - a real enthusiast.
Larry
 
Tucson is a few hours' freeway drive from Tempe - not exactly around the corner - but probably worth it to get your gear into the hands of a really good tech.

I could take you to some great places to buy records there ... back in the sixties/early seventies! :D Lots of memories of Arizona... the slm, tanned college girls in Tempe... aaahhh...

Just remember if you are moving there from a wetter climate (almost anywhere else on the planet), to stock in plenty of Tung Oil for those wooden cases. Stuff dries out in that desert, and unless you oil it well in the first year, some splitting may occur.
 
The AZ audio club is a very nice group of guys, I spoke there in January.
Lived in Phx for many years, my favorite record store is tracks in wax down
in central phoenix on the corner of central and camelback roads. Big selection, reasonable prices!!
 
There is also Eastside Records in Tempe,but his prices tend to be high on used records.His new stuff is about the going rate.I had my Dual 701 refurbished by a fellow in Scottsdale who used to own a tv repair business.He did a very good job at a very reasonable price.If I can find the receipt,Ill give you his number.
And I cant say enough good about Audionut in Glendale.Good guys,good equipment,good prices.Dont be in a hurry for your equipment,though.A pre amp I wanted was "only" 2 weeks wait,from the warehouse in Toronto!He keeps a stock of Grado Carts in house,also.
Jimmy
 
John Mackinze is the tv repairman, and yes he does great work. He does not do tuner stuff though. PM for his number. If you just looking to have something fixed in a inexpensive manner he is the guy. He's repaired several of my units, and at very low rates. A good friend of mine now owns Mtronik in Mesa and does real good work as well.
Records stores:
All Zia locations
Stinkweeds
Trax n wax
eastside <------not expensive at all that other fellow is smoking crack
Memory Lane
Toxic (tucson)
Monkey Mambo's <--- not sure if still around but had best selection hands down
There is also a record "swap meet" every month at a mall in phoenix, you can get details from the memory lane folks.
Tempe rules, and welcome!
 
Monkey Mambo is just musical instruments now.No more vinyl or vintage tt's.Another place to check for vinyl,although the selection isnt huge,they do get some goodies in on occasion,is Bookman's Books and Music.They also do dvd's,vhs,and video games.Thats just a fun place to hunt around.There is one in Phoenix,and one in Mesa.BTW,I just think Eastside is expensive for the condition of the records he sells.Ive sold to him on several occasions,and he is a fair guy to deal with,espescially if you do trade instead of cash.
Jimmy
 
2DualsNotEnough said:
Monkey Mambo is just musical instruments now.No more vinyl or vintage tt's.Another place to check for vinyl,although the selection isnt huge,they do get some goodies in on occasion,is Bookman's Books and Music.They also do dvd's,vhs,and video games.Thats just a fun place to hunt around.There is one in Phoenix,and one in Mesa.BTW,I just think Eastside is expensive for the condition of the records he sells.Ive sold to him on several occasions,and he is a fair guy to deal with,espescially if you do trade instead of cash.
Jimmy

Forgot about the Bookmans. The one in Mesa does occasionally get some good stuff. Trade them the stuff you don't like for store credit towards stuff you do like.
 
Hi everybody

Finding a good tech to work on vintage hifi equipment is getting harder and harder. Can anyone reccomend a repair shop in Tucson? I have a
Fisher 500c that needs attention. Thanks :thmbsp:
 
Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunatly, my dad is trying to get me to leave mt SPEC stuff home...Gee I wonder why (it was his before mine, but I bought it back from the his friend whom he sold it to)...But I told him "over my dead body". My SPEC system gets first priority when I move. I could leave eveything else behind, but have my SPEC stuff and be happy. But anyways, Im sure I can find a way to haul it down there. Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom, and connections. If anyone knows of some good housing in the Tempe area, you should PM me. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom