• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Multiple Amps to speaker switcher.

playittwice

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Not sure how to describe such a device, but I have 5 amps in one cabinet and one pair of speakers. Right now I have to physically pull the jacks from the wall and plug the ones in from the corresponding amp. Appears the correct description would be called an “amp switcher”

Is there a device that I can plug all my speaker leads from the amps into the device then only one set of leads from the device into the in-wall speaker jacks? Hard to explain, but if this is not clear I will try to get some pics of my arrangement.

Edit; I can’t edit the title, it’s not a speaker switcher, rather an “amp switcher”. My verbiage sucks on this subject, sorry.


Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
My 2 cents:

Terminate the speaker cables with banana plugs.

Wire the amplifiers' speaker connections with banana jacks.

With the amplifiers powered off, you simply plug whichever speakers you want into whichever amp you want.

Use something like a Niles AXP-1 to switch the RCA output (e.g., from CD player) between the amps.

Unfortunately, all of the products that I use appear to be discontinued. In the attached photo, you may be able to see the banana jack configuration and AXP-1 switches under the equipment shelves.

 
you can find any number of break before make amp switch boxes on ebay, nearly all of them produced in china. amazon carriers many of the same, but ebay has a wider selection.
 
Break ( contact ) before make ( contact ) is compulsory for this job. Otherwise you will run the risk of serious damage.

BREAK BEFORE MAKE !!!
 
DSC_0059.JPG
Terminate the speaker cables with banana plugs.

Wire the amplifiers' speaker connections with banana jacks.

With the amplifiers powered off, you simply plug whichever speakers you want into whichever amp you want.

This is my method, as well.
I have made up several dummy loads for my tube amps which have banana plugs to be inserted into the outputs in case the amp is turned on accidently without the speakers connected.
8 ohm, 5w cement resistors
 
It appears as though the most cost effective and efficient way of achieving my results is to continue the practice I’m doing. Sucks to do, but it works.

Thanks for the responses.
 
I use two amp switchers on two setups. One is the Specialty AV SP-71, the other a Solupeak P2. Both switch between two amps to one set of speakers. The SP-71 includes internal circuits that maintain load on the non-engaged amp to allow tube amps to be attached and maintain a load on their outputs. A quick search of ebay should locate similar devices with more amp inputs.
 
It appears as though the most cost effective and efficient way of achieving my results is to continue the practice I’m doing. Sucks to do, but it works.

Thanks for the responses.

not that i’m trying to spend your money for you, but if you’re consistent in monitoring ebay cheaper used units do come up. there’s also the pole switch thing - can’t recall the term - some guys here have recommended. you can rig one of those up for a fair bit less than a manufactured switch box.
 
I have an audiophile version of one that I modified with better cable inside and good connectors on the back. I tend to be a purist though and basically always wire directly rather than degrade sound in any possible way.
 
Back
Top Bottom