• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Multiple Outputs - Amps From C220

audiomaniac

Active Member
I'm thinking of setting up a second amp with it's own speakers from my C220. That way I would be able to switch between a tube based system for jazz, vocal, etc. and a SS based system for rock, maybe with JBLs. Just curious if anybody has done this? Are there any technical issues with doing it?
 
Register to hide this ad
IIUC, should work great. I run a sub from the "Output 1" (Outputs 1 and 2 are on/off switchable, and are volume-controlled with the C220 volume control).

You would have to hook up (say) the 275 to Output 1 and the SS amp to Output 2, and select which (or both) to listen to. Don't use the 'Tape' output which is fixed! Unless it goes to a powered sub with its own controls (which will not track the C220 volume setting).

The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is amp & speaker sensitivity. Since the 275 has controls for that (and maybe the SS amp does too?), shouldn't be a problem.

Say your SS amp is fixed (no adjustment). Hook up the SS amp (say) to Output 2, start with the C220 at low volume, and adjust the volume to taste. Keep or note the C220 volume setting. Switch Output 2 off, Output 1 on (with the 275's controls turned 'down') and adjust the 275's controls to the desired volume. Voila!

If the 275 'runs out' of adjustment or the controls are barely engaged, there might be too great a mismatch in sensitivity between the amp/speaker combinations. Then you could use the C220 volume to compensate (remember to adjust before switching amps!), or insert an attenuator inline with one of them ... but this seems to be too complicated ...?

Sorry if this was 'too detailed' for you, but wanted to try to walk thru the steps just in case.

I think the C220 was designed with this in mind, so no worries about hurting anything.

HTH, - Rick.
 
PS: I think you could also bi-amp speakers using the 275 on mid/tweeter and SS on woofer ... but you likely would need an external crossover (between C220 and amps) for this to be set up properly (and get all the benefits of bi-amping ...).
 
Thanks Rick. It would probably be an "either-or" situation. Yes, the C220 is very flexible and packed with great features. That's what I love about it! BTW, that's a MC225 in the pic. Thanks for all the great info!:thmbsp: John
 
Thanks Rick. It would probably be an "either-or" situation. Yes, the C220 is very flexible and packed with great features. That's what I love about it! BTW, that's a MC225 in the pic. Thanks for all the great info!:thmbsp: John
Whoops! I need new glasses! :D

The 225 is said to be the sweetest, best sounding of the 'vintage' tube amps. I almost got one ~a year ago ...

Interesting to hear about your experiences with this. The sensitivity differences between the amp/speaker combos may become somewhat of an issue, unless you have very sensitive speakers (JBL studio monitors?) paired with the 225 and insensitive ones with the SS amp (unless the SS amp is a nice low-powered Class A amp or something).

But then, seems like your original intent is to have more volume/slam available with the 'second' system! Should work great! :thmbsp:
 
Everything you've read about the MC225 is true. I've run one with highly sensitive Omega single drivers. As for the original questions in this thread, I would need to purchase a second amp and speakers. The purpose would be for a "rock" based system. JBLs of some sort just come to mind based on my experiences back in the 70s.
 
Everything you've read about the MC225 is true. I've run one with highly sensitive Omega single drivers.
I know it would drive my Tituses very well too. Was interested in hearing the 225 in my system, I was going to swap my 300B amps for it. Alas, the trade fell thru.

As for the original questions in this thread, I would need to purchase a second amp and speakers. The purpose would be for a "rock" based system. JBLs of some sort just come to mind based on my experiences back in the 70s.
I have read good things about the SDAudio amp kits, and the Odyssey amps as well. I am tempted to get something like one of these ... until I can afford an MC202, 252, 352, 402 ... :drool:

I borrowed an old Acurus 150 (A? something like that) amp and was very impressed. Don't know about ultimate RAWK capability, but sure sounded more linear and detailed compared to my tube amps.

A LOT of choices out there ... good luck! :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom