• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Music Fidelity V-LPS - MM and MC Connections

AvFan

Super Member
I just got a V-LPS from Amazon to use with a MC Denon DL-103 on my Technics SP-25 TT. I also have a MM Ortofon 2M Blue on a Technics SL-1200 MK2. The V-LPS has separate inputs for MM and MC and there is a switch but the V-LPS directions are not clear if I can hook both TTs to the V-LPS and use the MM/MC switch to select which TT is feeding my integrated amp. Anybody know if I can hook up my TTs and V-LPS this way? Seems like I should be able to do this but I don't know if the MC and MM portions of the V-LPS share any components. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes you can.
I asked the UK shop I ordered mine through this exact question.
Usual precautions apply. Volume to zero when switching.
I was running a Denon DL-103s and Ortofon OM 30.
As it turned out I couldn't get the Denon to 'sing'. Apparently (I don't know about these things), it's output and loading characteristics did not match the V-LPS so I sold it and now use Ortofon MCs on both TTs with a separate Rek-O-Kut switching box.
The Denon DL-103's' is an obscure 'Special Elliptical' (fineline) version which does have different output characteristics so you might have better luck with the straight 103.
BTW the MF V-LPS opens up well with a Power Supply Unit (PSU) upgrade from the supplied wall plug.
 
Last edited:
Yes you can. I asked the UK shop I ordered mine through this exact question......

BTW the MF V-LPS opens up well with a Power Supply Unit (PSU) upgrade from the supplied wall plug.

Thanks for the information. It seems to make sense that you can run two TTs and use the switch, otherwise why provide separate MM and MC inputs? Others have noted the MM portion of the V-LPS is a bit better than the MC side and switching between the two, even with different tables and cartridges, might help me figure that out. Regardless, I hope to hear a nice improvement over the MM preamp in my integrated amp.

I failed to mention I purchased a separate PSU as well. Not the Music Fidelity one, but a Pyramid folks seem to like with their V-DACs. As you noted, I hope to hear an improvement over the wallwart.
 
As far as MM Vs MC circuit, I'm told, (on another forum), they have the same "ratings". Whatever that means. Personally, (with my gear), I thought the MM was more extended but 'harder and sharper' than my Integrated's phono input. Swapping to the MC side was an improvement but difficult to isolate the reason because it's an MM to MC change at the same time of course.
Yeh, the Pyramid is popular in the US. I could have tracked down something similar here I think but I got the V-PSU at a runout discount, it opens the way to use it with a V-DAC II, and then they all fit snugly in the little slot I have available too : )
 
Back
Top Bottom