• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music Hall - MMf 5.1 opinions wanted

bre's dad

I drank what?!?
My main table has been an upgraded Pro-ject Debut III (upgrades include 75g counterweight, speed-box II & acrylic platter, stock Ortofon cart). Nice table and sounds great but I've got an opportunity for a good deal on a Music Hall MMf 5.1 and I'm wanting opinions from people that have had experience with these. Good, bad, etc. I'm not in the market to go turntable hunting, but I've got a line on a brand new one a friend of a friend purchased awhile back but never unboxed. I'm not planning on getting rid of the Debut III, but this would replace it as my main turntable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
I'd strongly consider it. I like the MMF-5.1 very well. I had a MMF-5, myself. I preferred the glass platter, but the MMF-5.1 is overall a bit of a step up because of the tonearm. My wife's turntable is a Debut III, and with a platter from an Xpression and a cartridge upgrade to a Dyavector 10x4 it's very nice. I would even say it's probably not a huge difference from the MMF-5, but there was still a difference. I felt like the MMF-5 had a little more authority to it, enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade.
 
I own a mmf-5.1 and am very happy with it. I'm not familiar with the Debut III, so I can't compare the two tables. The only negative comment that I have about the 5.1 is the non-removable headshell makes it more difficult to change carts than tables with removable headshells. With that being said, I believe all of the Pro-Ject arms have non-removable headshells.

I also have a Speedbox II on my 5.1, and I upgraded the stock feet to Mapleshade radiused bottom brass footers. Another feature of the 5.1, compared to the mmf-5, is that the 5.1 has RCA terminals at the rear to use any cables you want to. I picked up a glass platter from a mmf-5 to use on my 5.1, but it sits too high without modifying the sub-platter, which I am not willing to do.
 
Last edited:
The debut iii is an entry level table, actually a step up from their entry level (the xpression I believe is the entry level table. I had one and promptly sent it back for the debut iii). I've often wondered if Pro-ject and Music Hall are owned by the same company as many of their parts and accessories seem to be interchangeable, plus the fact many if not all of the Music Hall tables have Pro-ject arms. I'm really leaning towards the mmf 5.1.
 
I've got an MMF 5.1. It's a great table. Very reliable and sturdy. The project arm it comes with it great too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the 9cc arm. Mine came with a Goldring 2200, which sounds great, but there better cartridges you can mount. One thing I've heard about the tonearm though, is that the wire is thin, never had first hand experience with this though as I never changed the cartridge on mine.

A few things I like about it is the fact that it has adjustable feet as well as a screw on spindle for record clamps.

Although manually changing the speed is a PITA, that can be resolved as mentioned with the Speed Box.
 
Last edited:
Pro-Ject and Music Hall are not the same company. Music Hall tables are built in the Czech Republic. Music Hall is owned by Roy Hall. He designs them in the US and he uses Pro-Ject arms. He also designs them to accept the Pro-Ject Speed Box.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/about.php

Pro-Ject Audio Systems is a Division of Audio Tuning Vertriebs GmbH based in Austria. They may be made in the same factory as Music Hall, but I am not sure of this.
 
Last edited:
Pro-Ject and Music Hall are not the same company. Music Hall tables are built in the Czech Republic. Music Hall is owned by Roy Hall. He designs them in the US and he uses Pro-Ject arms. He also designs them to accept the Pro-Ject SpeedBox.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/about.php

Pro-Ject Audio Systems is a Division of Audio Tuning Vertriebs GmbH based in Austria. They may be made in the same factory as Music Hall, but I am not sure of this.

The MH tables are made in the same factory in the Czech Republic.

I have a MH MMF-7.1 table. I will be the first to tell you they are a underrated table due to various reasons. They are musical. Put a good cart on her with good phono cables and she will sound really good.
 
The debut iii is an entry level table, actually a step up from their entry level (the xpression I believe is the entry level table. I had one and promptly sent it back for the debut iii). I've often wondered if Pro-ject and Music Hall are owned by the same company as many of their parts and accessories seem to be interchangeable, plus the fact many if not all of the Music Hall tables have Pro-ject arms. I'm really leaning towards the mmf 5.1.

The Xpression is up the line from the Debut series. The Debut is a step up from the Essential. Music Hall and Pro-Ject turntables are manufactured here:

http://www.sev-litovel.cz/en/gramophones-pro-ject
 
The Xpression is up the line from the Debut series. The Debut is a step up from the Essential. Music Hall and Pro-Ject turntables are manufactured here:

http://www.sev-litovel.cz/en/gramophones-pro-ject

I stand corrected. It was late when I typed that. I bought an Essential and hated it. Not a bad sounding table but you can't upgrade the platter as the platter & spindle are one piece. Also didn't like the belt on the outside edge of the platter.

Are there anything to watch for or any down sides to the Music Hall?
 
I once had a Music Hall MMF 5.1. I really liked it and a very nice table. A good cart and a decent phono stage and you'll be in good shape.
 
I stand corrected. It was late when I typed that. I bought an Essential and hated it. Not a bad sounding table but you can't upgrade the platter as the platter & spindle are one piece. Also didn't like the belt on the outside edge of the platter.

Are there anything to watch for or any down sides to the Music Hall?

I suppose I'd be mindful of which cartridge I was getting. They currently ship with a Music Hall-branded cartridge made by Ortofon. It used to ship with a Goldring 1012GX. I think there was a time also when it came with a Goldring 2200.
 
Bob, you are correct on all three carts. Instead of raising the price in recent years, they opted for a less expensive cartridge. Mine has the 1012GX. I bought mine just over 5 years ago when they first came out with the 5.1 model.
 
Very underrated TT....I believe the arm is a one pc alloy 9" arm, not the 9cc carbon arm which is higher up the chain.
I have a mmf-7.1 and absolutely love my table, it sounds brilliant. I did upgrade the cables and use a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge.

You will be pleased if you get it
 
I was going to say... I've heard so many good things about the 7.1, you might try to save up for that and end the upgrade itch for a good, long time. Then, I saw 2 more people that love their 7.1 on this thread...
 
Heck, I am very pleased with my 2.2 It has the arm of the previous generation MMF-5 and has a marvelous soundstage. Although it has a simple elliptical cartridge it it well balanced. Also rumours that a new upper end Music Hall is in the works. Can't remember the details.
 
Back
Top Bottom