• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Music Lovers vs Prejudice

Longaevus

Active Member
No, this is not me advertising some kind of beneficial event against prejudice in music, this is actually me thinking about how much I love a band called Gipsy Kings and how I "cannot" listen to them out loud when I feel like.

Here in Portugal gypsies are not exactly well regarded for their curious culture and humble way of life, they are looked down as beggars who do nothing but live on state social support that all citizens pay monthly so that them and their children can go to school where they are usually bullies and some day perpetuate this system for the next decades.

Musically speaking I love the richness and technicality (?) of this band and if that was not enough the sheer numbers alone should speak for themselves. With 18 million albums sold worldwide they are the leaders on "new flamenco" style and have nothing to prove to anybody. To top all that, Tonino Baliardo guitar playing is tight!!

Do you guys ever feel like you should definitely pop that favorite record of yours and play it out loud but you don't because, well... it is not "cool"?...

 
Register to hide this ad
Nothing uncool about the Gipsy Kings. Enjoy! Also look into Django Reinhardt, who invented "gypsy jazz" back in the 30s, which remains cool to this day.

I hope you enjoy the great Fadistas of your country, starting with Amalia, of course, and continuing today with the fantastic Gisela João, Katia Guerreiro, Helena Sarmento and other practitioners of this timeless art form.
 
Nothing uncool about the Gipsy Kings. Enjoy! Also look into Django Reinhardt, who invented "gypsy jazz" back in the 30s, which remains cool to this day.

I hope you enjoy the great Fadistas of your country, starting with Amalia, of course, and continuing today with the fantastic Gisela João, Katia Guerreiro, Helena Sarmento and other practitioners of this timeless art form.

@chicks, fado in Portugal is more alive than ever, new artists show up every year, you missed Carminho and Ana Moura hehe
 
As far as the "prejudice" angle goes the only equivalent I can think of here is if you listen to classic country or polka. But I'll play those genres on the radio just cuz I heard a lot of them as a kid and they're kinda cool in their own way. And I don't care if people think I'm a hick or the P-word.
 
Back
Top Bottom