• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Musician wins claim against Royal Opera House over damaged hearing

If I pay to see a live show and it's so loud I need ear protection, I leave. I paid to see and hear a professional quality show, disappointing when it's not. Why I prefer to see them on my system. I like it loud, but not ear piercing stupid loud.
 
If I pay to see a live show and it's so loud I need ear protection, I leave. I paid to see and hear a professional quality show, disappointing when it's not. Why I prefer to see them on my system. I like it loud, but not ear piercing stupid loud.
I take plugs to all the rock shows or I wouldn't be able to stay.
 
I take plugs to all the rock shows or I wouldn't be able to stay.


That's almost like taking a box of rice cakes to a fancy restaurant, so you can eat those, and just look at that fabulous meal you ordered.
 
That's almost like taking a box of rice cakes to a fancy restaurant, so you can eat those, and just look at that fabulous meal you ordered.
Yes, that's funny. But they don't limit the music they limit the ear damage. And I think I can hear the music better with them.
I'm certainly more comfortable over a 4 hour period.
I take several sets for volume control. Try it.
 
No thanks. I'll save both on gas to buy the rice cakes, and the wasted gas to eat them while drooling over the surf & turf.
 
I take plugs to all the rock shows or I wouldn't be able to stay.

I couldn't imagine going to a live show without ear plugs.
To the guy saying it's like eating rice cakes, I don't agree at all. You still get all of the energy of the show, you just don't have to get tinnitus at the same time so you can listen to your stereo later on as well. I can see not bothering if you don't like going to them but between here and LA there are just too many great bands to see. I also can't go up and have a few beers with the band members after the album is done playing at home.

More in line with the OP, I work as an auto tech and teach apprentice mechanics. I try to beat it into them to use PPE every chance they get. It could be something quick like and eye injury or something slow like cumulative hearing loss but the overall effect is the same. Life changing sensory damage that you can't undo.
 
It warms my heart to see that some are willing to accept a little "perceived" reduction in the live rock concert experience in order to rock on into the future.

When I see the kids there going open eared and screaming at each other shoulder to shoulder it almost makes me cry because I know what lies ahead for them.

This ain't no joke folks. Take the plugs. If it don't work for you put'em back in your pocket . But take the plugs.
 
Last edited:
Machining trade is gangbusters round here. Show up with any kind of experience and you’ll get hired in short order.



Me too. Any loss in sound quality more than outweighs the price I’ll pay for the tinnitus afterward.
What about unskilled/low skilled factory jobs?
 
I dated a gal whose father was a French horn player in a major US orchestra; he said he had hearing damage in the right ear from playing for so many hours over so many years without hearing protection, and his colleagues did as well.
 
I dated a gal whose father was a French horn player in a major US orchestra; he said he had hearing damage in the right ear from playing for so many hours over so many years without hearing protection, and his colleagues did as well.

Could he hear what time you got her home after a date?
 
Back
Top Bottom