• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MX-120 vs. MX-136

VTGOLFER

Active Member
Is the MX120 sonically the same as the MX136? I sold my MX119 back in May and I have been in mourning ever since. The new BD and HD DVD formats took over my brain and made me change over to a receiver that handles multi channel audio via HDMI. I miss my two channel audio.

I have come to realize that HDMI is not all that as long as the players of those formats continue to decode the new codecs and the players have multi channel analogue outs then who needs HDMI to handle audio for the new codecs so therefore I am looking at purchasing a MX120 or MX136 but I need help on determing the difference between the two. I know the 120 can not handle the internal tuner but will it handle an external tuner?

Thanks for the help.
 
Register to hide this ad
My understanding is that the answer to your question is yes they are the same from a sonic perspective - differences are in front panel, numbers of inputs/outputs, etc as well as taking the tuner module. Ron should probably verify this to be 100% sure...

I understand why you regret selling your MX119 - I'm holding onto mine until Mc releases their next pre/pro with both video AND audio HD switching/processing via HDMI. I'd miss the analog 2-channel sound quality too much if I went back to a non-Mc receiver. I am currently using a PS3 for Blu-Ray so I'm missing out on the HD soundtracks right now since the PS3 doesn't have multi-channel analog outputs, but I'd rather have the quality 2 channel there for my listening priorities.

Another option would be to get a new C2300 and use the passthrough to your receiver. That would give you the quality 2 channel analog sound that you miss...and then you could upgrade the pre/pro side when you are ready.
 
The MX120 and MX136 are designed to function as two channel preamps. This is why you have pure analog modes such as Stereo, 2-Channel and External as well as a phono section.
Yes the MX120 has an input for an external tuner.
The digital audio output of a BR player or the 7.1 outputs will be processed and accepted by either the 120 or 136. As far as the new audio formats these are decoded in some but not all BR players and sent out as analog 7.1 over RCA cables.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Thanks. Ron-C, do you think the new audio codecs (DD TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio will continue now and for the foreseeable future be decoded in the players? I know this is probably not going to be answered but is Mac designing a new pre/pro that will handle audio and video via HDMI?
Thanks
 
I didn't know that any bd/hd dvd player outputted decoded 7.1 multi-ch analog. I thought all the players out there only outputted 5.1, and that a 7.1 player was "in the works"--but I could be mistaken.
 
I have the mx135 which is the big brother to the mx119 and I don't care about the hdmi offered in the 120 and 136 because I believe in spearation of church and state.

All audio goes thru the mx135 for any type of processing and all video goes thru a DVDO upscaler which changes whatever signal in to 1080i or 1080p out.

The reason this works so well is that if one technology advances I can step up to the plate and change. Having the 2 together locks you in.

Also DVDO updates often keeping pace with technology.

The VP and AP is the same idea.

So IMHO buying a 120 or 136 that is already passe is really throwing money away. The 119 is a great unit and even a return to it would be well advised.

Check out DVDO products VP30 and VP50 are great machines at 1/3 of the price of a VP1000. Not to say the VP1000 isn't awesome, but maybe having multiple upscaling outputs is part of the reason the price is so high.
 
I didn't know that any bd/hd dvd player outputted decoded 7.1 multi-ch analog. I thought all the players out there only outputted 5.1, and that a 7.1 player was "in the works"--but I could be mistaken.

The Panasonic wll output 7.1 multi channel analogue.
 
I have the mx135 which is the big brother to the mx119 and I don't care about the hdmi offered in the 120 and 136 because I believe in spearation of church and state.

All audio goes thru the mx135 for any type of processing and all video goes thru a DVDO upscaler which changes whatever signal in to 1080i or 1080p out.

The reason this works so well is that if one technology advances I can step up to the plate and change. Having the 2 together locks you in.

Also DVDO updates often keeping pace with technology.

The VP and AP is the same idea.

So IMHO buying a 120 or 136 that is already passe is really throwing money away. The 119 is a great unit and even a return to it would be well advised.

Check out DVDO products VP30 and VP50 are great machines at 1/3 of the price of a VP1000. Not to say the VP1000 isn't awesome, but maybe having multiple upscaling outputs is part of the reason the price is so high.

Lets say I purchase a seperate video processor to handle my video. Of course I would hook up all my sources (DVD Player, X-Box 360, HD/Tivo tuner) directly to lets say a DVDO VP50. I would also run the audio from the VP50 to the pre/pro as either optical or coax which would take care of any lip sych issues. Is this correct.

Could I still hook up my Panasonic Blu-ray and Toshiba HD DVD player to the DVDO VP50 and run the audio portion directly to the Mcintosh pre/pro via external inputs for the new uncompressed audio and run the video from these players to the video processor? Because running the video to the DVDO for BD and HD DVD player and audio via analogue external outputs will this create lip synch or will the pre/pro (McIntosh MX120 or 119) or the VP50 handle this issue.

I hope this is not to confusing. The 119 or 120 would be a no brainer if it handled multi channel audio via HDMI and sent it as PCM.
 
Lets say I purchase a seperate video processor to handle my video. Of course I would hook up all my sources (DVD Player, X-Box 360, HD/Tivo tuner) directly to lets say a DVDO VP50. I would also run the audio from the VP50 to the pre/pro as either optical or coax which would take care of any lip sych issues. Is this correct.

Could I still hook up my Panasonic Blu-ray and Toshiba HD DVD player to the DVDO VP50 and run the audio portion directly to the Mcintosh pre/pro via external inputs for the new uncompressed audio and run the video from these players to the video processor? Because running the video to the DVDO for BD and HD DVD player and audio via analogue external outputs will this create lip synch or will the pre/pro (McIntosh MX120 or 119) or the VP50 handle this issue.

I hope this is not to confusing. The 119 or 120 would be a no brainer if it handled multi channel audio via HDMI and sent it as PCM.

You can run whatever audio you want to or not thru the DVDO for lip synch issues. Also the DVDO can act as a Hub for HD based sources with the option of "passthrough" the signal untouched and audio thru your 119 or 120.

This is what I do for my setup. I don't have HD yet, but my 871 can put out 1080p and I can have the signal pass thru the DVDO or send it out of the 871 in 720p and have the VP30 upscale to 1080p for my Sony Bravia.

If you have HD DVD or Blu Ray you will want to go with the VP50. If you are a member of the avsforum.com (you can join in a minute) you can tell DVDO and buy with a discounted price. Its also a good place for Video questions
 
Yes, the audio goes to the processor and the video to the video switcher /scaler. Lip sync or audio video timing errors have many causes but are usually the result of a slow video processor.
Switching coordination between the preamp and the video processor is usually the main operational issue.
The VP1000 will switch with any MX unit using one data cable.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
You can run whatever audio you want to or not thru the DVDO for lip synch issues. Also the DVDO can act as a Hub for HD based sources with the option of "passthrough" the signal untouched and audio thru your 119 or 120.

This is what I do for my setup. I don't have HD yet, but my 871 can put out 1080p and I can have the signal pass thru the DVDO or send it out of the 871 in 720p and have the VP30 upscale to 1080p for my Sony Bravia.

If you have HD DVD or Blu Ray you will want to go with the VP50. If you are a member of the avsforum.com (you can join in a minute) you can tell DVDO and buy with a discounted price. Its also a good place for Video questions

Basically I would hook up my X-Box, HD/Tivo and Denon DVD player via the VP50 for both audio(coax or optical) and video and then send the HD DVD and BD players video to the VP50 and the audio to the Mac through the external inputs. Am I correct in this assumption. If there are any lip synch issues with the X-box, HD/Tivo or the Denon the VP50 can handle them but what about lip synch with the HD DVD or BD player, will the VP50 have adjustments if I have lip synch?

Thanks for the help.

The more I get into this home theater the more I spend and the more I am interested in better and better audio and now video. When does it ever stop?:tears:
 
You should not have audio timing issues with an HD or BR player playing HD and BR disks. It is when you scale a normal DVD up that this becomes an issue.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Yes, the audio goes to the processor and the video to the video switcher /scaler. Lip sync or audio video timing errors have many causes but are usually the result of a slow video processor.
Switching coordination between the preamp and the video processor is usually the main operational issue.
The VP1000 will switch with any MX unit using one data cable.

thanks,
Ron-C

Ron

You got me there. No doubt about that the VP will work great, but OUch for a Video Processor. I'm one of those that only has one Monitor or TV and although the VP can handle mutiple outputs, I feel I'm paying for something not needed.

Too bad there is not a toned down version of the VP1000 for upscaling only 1 screen, that way it could be more affordable and also competitive with other Video Processor's out there which have one output.

Believe you me I love McIntosh and want to stay "Fidel" to the mark, but the VP is 3x the price of the DVDO which does pretty good work.
 
Back
Top Bottom