• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My 1963 First and Only Stereo Reel to Reel

Tomcomm

Member
The self contained Sony model CS 300 was first described in the venerable AUDIO magazine in it’s December 1960 issue. It was a two head, single motor minimal design. It met all its performance specs and sold for $399, a mid range price for a better than mid range performer. Since I intended to install the tape machine in a slide out drawer in my original Hi Fi cabinet:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268152
All I wanted was a small tape deck that I could drop in.

Fortunately Sony offered the CS 300’s tape transport with no electronics as a model 262-D for $89! Seemed like an ideal setup so in 1963 I bought the Sony 262-D and a discontinued Webster SS700A tube tape amplifier for another $29. I ended up cutting the Webster’s power supply off and mounting it inside the 262-D and then bolting the two units together to make a complete tape deck that fit nicely in the cabinet’s slide out drawer

Once CDs came out I knew I had to make my tape system approach their sound quality. In 1984 I redesigned the Webster to solid state using National’s low noise dual amp, LM 381 and changed to an Akai R/PB head. Then in 1986 I bought a new NX-40 DBX noise reduction unit for $59. When carefully setup, the DBX got rid of virtually all tape noise and could process the dynamics of a full symphony orchestra without overload or artifacts. From then on, all my tape recordings would be Sony/DBX. And so it is today…..Tom
 

Attachments

  • 209-0968_IMG.JPG
    209-0968_IMG.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 209-0969_IMG.JPG
    209-0969_IMG.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Copy of 209-0970_IMG.jpg
    Copy of 209-0970_IMG.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 209-0977_IMG.JPG
    209-0977_IMG.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The point-to-point soldering of the components looks like a real nightmare to service.

Are those JBL 15" woofers (LE 15?) in the cabinet?
 
Woofer, Tweeters and Tape Amp

JBLMAR: The woofers are 15in, 150watt JBL 2215, the tweeters are 4in 30watt JBL 2405 horns. Actually most of the circuitry visible in the tape amp underside was deactivated when I went solid-state. I just left it there for effect.
 
Back
Top Bottom