• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My DYNA PAT5 preamp repair thread

JRUBIN

Active Member
This thread will document my repairs to the PAT5 Pre-amplifier as a spinoff of my other AMP thread http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/st70-7199-6gh8a-amplitude-vs-frequency.694384/

This is my solid state preamp for the ST70. Which naturally, doesn't work correctly.
My other is the PAS 3, one factory and one custom MOD
16%2B-%2B1




The PAT5 exhibited a moderately loud white noise from both channels on all inputs with volume all the way off. I first checked the power supply.


After removing the PS unit PC32, i removed and tested all electrolytic. Looks like this board has been a lot of heat.

16%2B-%2B1



The 220uf were reconditioned on the IM-11 and are down to 5uA at 100VDC. Nothing amazing but acceptible. The 2 100uf's were trashed, so I replaced them. The 1uf was tested good, but I replaced it anyway
16%2B-%2B2



The diodes and 1 resistor tested good, shown below are also the two broken 100uf16V caps
16%2B-%2B3



The Heathkit was used for testing and reconditioning pf the 220uf as well as the replacement caps
16%2B-%2B4



Board re-assembled after repairs

16%2B-%2B5



Another shot
16%2B-%2B6



Back in the Unit... I did some quick measurements, have a feeling something is pulling down the 42.5VDC rail more than it should so I will have to look at the PC 33 cards and test their components.
16%2B-%2B7
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Here we see the outputs of the Left and right channels. Both have noise but are not the same noise.... both channels are differently broken

16%2B-%2B2




Here we see one of the channels showing one connection to the output jack and one to pin 6 of the IC103 of the same channel. The output artifact appears to originate on the pin 6 of the IC103
removal of the +15v at pin 19 quiets the circuit, however, the 15v powers the IC103

16%2B-%2B1
 
I installed some disconnect pins on the areas I was testing, sort of a one pin terminal. This allowed me to not have to keep soldering and unsoldering things
as well as tie a signal to ground directly or through a capacitor.

During testing I noticed one electrolytic was highly reactive to its surroundings. I pulled it out and got no reading on it the 4.7uf measured .1uf and had an open ESR value
Since this effect was apparent on both channels I prepared myself for replacing both

C22 - 4.7uf CAP shown above its location on the schematic
16%2B-%2B1






Temporary C22 replacement in circuit board, also the pin 14 showing the quick disconnect connector
16%2B-%2B2



LEFT and RIGHT before any modification with inputs shorted to ground
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-01-17%2Bat%2B1.10.52%2BPM.png





First cap replaced........ (LEFT)
16%2B-%2B3




Second cap replaced (RIGHT)
16%2B-%2B4





No doubt replacing the remaining small electrolytics would further benefit the overall performance... Thats the next step........
 
This is as low as my scope goes. Today the power supply and the phono boards get all new electrolytic capacitors




POWER SUPPLY - Raised off of the HOT PCB
16%2B-%2B2





Both PHONO boards recapped

16%2B-%2B1






960Uv ripple on the outputs , but I havent done the main boards yet. Still leaky caps
16%2B-%2B3
 
Thanks for all the detailed info. I like your methodology, find and fix the faults first before any large scale cap replacement.
I have a PAT5 that is all original and in daily use. It's in my garage/shop, so any noise floor is probably overlooked. Not exactly critical listening.
No doubt it would benefit from some cap replacement, but I really need to do some baseline measurements first.
 
Almost finished, a few caps I ordered were wrong Axial vs. Radial.... So it will take a bit longer. Each main board need only 2 caps replaced, the others are done
 
All electrolytic caps replaced.
The 2n3053 was replaced and restored the 42V rail

The verdict on the HP311A was .05% which is the best quality input wave I have, so there was no measurable increase in distortion. Not only that, it was measured using the phono input
which means a lot more components to get through. Closing the books on this project
16%2B-%2B2
 
Back
Top Bottom