• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My EPI 100M Restoration

Really nice project and a great set of speakers. The link below provides the authoritative info on these EPI 100's, and the attached image provides a bit of history on this model. I have a pair of these as well - - - virtually identical to yours - - - original early version with serial numbers not too different.

These can be identified as the "early" version because of the masonite tweeter plate and the butyl rubber surrounds. Just me, but I would never consider removing this woofer surround to replace them with foam unless there was no other choice (i.e. severe damage or deterioration). I have read and become curious about this brake fluid application, but because I do not know the chemistry involved, it's not worth the risk to me.

Just curious: why did you decide to use a simple NPE cap instead of a polypro or film/foil; and, what value did you use for the bypass cap?

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi100.htm
 

Attachments

  • epi-100 lineage.jpg
    epi-100 lineage.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 51
Just curious: why did you decide to use a simple NPE cap instead of a polypro or film/foil; and, what value did you use for the bypass cap?

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi100.htm

You know I was reading so many things about capacitors at the time, including those who said most can't tell the difference between npe(with film bypass) vs. poly or other types of capacitors in a blind test. I figured that npe's of today have to be made a lot better than they were back then, so no matter what I did it would have to be an improvement of what was in there originally. I'd have to check to make sure but I think I used a .01 uf bypass cap. It seemed to work fine because they sound amazing.
 
Back
Top Bottom