• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My First Speaker Build

Blue_Alien

Member
I've decided that I am going to build my own Overnight Sensation MTM speakers.

Right now, I'm going to order the parts and start designing my enclosures. I like the look and the application of having the vents in the front. Any recommendations before I begin?

Also, I will be hooking these up to my Marantz 2015 which is 15wpc and 4-8ohms.

EDIT: Upon further research, I will probably just go with the port hole in the back for better audio quality and simplicity in the design.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've decided that I am going to build my own Overnight Sensation MTM speakers.

Right now, I'm going to order the parts and start designing my enclosures. I like the look and the application of having the vents in the front. Any recommendations before I begin?

Also, I will be hooking these up to my Marantz 2015 which is 15wpc and 4-8ohms.

EDIT: Upon further research, I will probably just go with the port hole in the back for better audio quality and simplicity in the design.

Take your time, cut no corners or you'll regret it later and most of all:
Good luck with your project!

P.S. I warn you though, it won't stop there... speaker building gets in your blood and you'll be hooked!
 
The author states that either 1/2" or 3/4" MDF is the required material for the construction. I would suggest to use 3/4", if possible.
Cute speaker and the use of the Hivi 4" has peaked my curiosity. I'll have to look at the TS params and see if I can use it in a couple of boxes I have.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted!
 
All of the electriconics have been ordered. Total price so far, $125.43.

Also, just hooked up my parents Miller and Kreisel speakers and wow do they sound good compared to my Logitechs. Man this Marantz 2015 with only 15 wpc can put out some serious sound.
 
The author states that either 1/2" or 3/4" MDF is the required material for the construction. I would suggest to use 3/4", if possible.
Cute speaker and the use of the Hivi 4" has peaked my curiosity. I'll have to look at the TS params and see if I can use it in a couple of boxes I have.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted!

Any particular reason to use 3/4" over 1/2" other than having to brace the 1/2"?

Also, does putting the port holes in the back actually sound better than having them in the front?

I don't know what color I am going to paint them yet. If anyone has any suggestions on design or style, I would love to have them.
 
Last edited:
It took me a while to find someone to cut the MDF for me. But I know have the boxes all glued expect for the backs. The crossover components are zip tied to there base and just need to be soldered. I picked up some purple high gloss paint just to go opulent with them.

How should I attach the backs? With glue or screws?

Also, should I line the insides with convoluted foam or just stuff them like Paul Carmody?

 
Any particular reason to use 3/4" over 1/2" other than having to brace the 1/2"?

Also, does putting the port holes in the back actually sound better than having them in the front?

I don't know what color I am going to paint them yet. If anyone has any suggestions on design or style, I would love to have them.
Yes, the thicker material will resonate less and make for a sturdier enclosure. Eliminating the bracing will also add box volume, rather than subtract.

Port location is somewhat room dependent, I would think, in this case, it won't make a lot of difference.

Look at some of the "Stone" mimicking paints that are out there. I like the look but really, it's up to you.

Go with stuffing, cheaper, easier to change, and will do what the foam does.

I would screw the backs on using a gasket of some sort to insure an airtight fit. 1/8" foam weatherstrip should do the job.
 
Last edited:
Nice work ! and a $125 project !!!

I would veneer them....

Regarding the back, I'm with westend. Screws and some rubber or foam gasket.

I would add to the inside some kind of car carpet, like the one in this picture. It's cheap, it won't hurt anything, and I think it can help to do the cabinet more neutral...

stand_P1070047.jpg
 
Ironically I was just thinking about doing this project as well, except I want to go the original route of a single mid/woofer per cabinet. Definitely interested to see how it turns out. Good luck!
 
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go with weather stripping and screws on the back.

The sanding has been done and they are looking great. I picked up some deepest purple high gloss paint to go outlandish with these.

So far it has cost me about $200 for everything.
 
I finished my SR71's with dual subwoofers about a month ago. I am still blown away as to the quality of the sound.

I've heard nothing but good about the OS's...enjoy!
 
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go with weather stripping and screws on the back.

The sanding has been done and they are looking great. I picked up some deepest purple high gloss paint to go outlandish with these.

So far it has cost me about $200 for everything.

Sweet, now grab a camera and share, I gotta' see the purple!:D
 
Sweet, now grab a camera and share, I gotta' see the purple!:D

Unfortunately, these probably won't be finished until later next week. I'm going to a local Utah burning man for the next 4 days called Element 11. I really want to finish these asap when I get back.
 
Alien, you just spurred my creative self to do something very unique with my next speakers. I ordered the parts for an Overnight Sensation build (single woofer design) and I'll be splatter painting it with glow in the dark paint and neon black light reactive paint. It should look like something out of the 80's. Unfortunately, it could turn out a work of art, or it could turn out a childish mess. Time will tell.
 
Alien, you just spurred my creative self to do something very unique with my next speakers. I ordered the parts for an Overnight Sensation build (single woofer design) and I'll be splatter painting it with glow in the dark paint and neon black light reactive paint. It should look like something out of the 80's. Unfortunately, it could turn out a work of art, or it could turn out a childish mess. Time will tell.

Good luck! If you end up not liking them, you can always re-finish them.
 
So I went to lowes today and picked up from 1/8" to something bigger I can't remember weather stripping. I put it on and it doesn't look good at all. This stuff is brown foam and will not squish small enough to close the gap. I am going to try the thinner white strip stuff and see how that looks.
 
Great project. I've heard those (I mean not yours but the design) and it's a very worthy DIY effort. Here's the scoop on the port locations...

Back + eliminates most port "chuffing" and midrange bleedthrough
- can't be placed too close to back wall or the bass gets goofy

Front + can be placed closer to back walls, usually better for WAF
- depending on crossover and stuffing you can get midrange bleedthrough and
depending on the box design you can get port chuffing

Definitions in case you aren't down with the speaker speak...
Port chuffing: noise caused by high air velocity inside the port. The root cause is a port that is too small (diameter).
Midrange bleedthrough: if the woofers play up into the midrange (and they do on this design) then midrange will be produced by the front and rear of the cone. Without adequate damping, the backwave will bounce around the box and come out the port which will interfere with the front wave and cause problems.
 
Back
Top Bottom