• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Fisher score (TA-500 in disguise)

bangsezmax

Turntable Whisperer
Subscriber
A local guy offered me a Fisher receiver pulled from a console. The chassis model is a K-100 (if you Google it, there is absolutely zip out there, at least from what I could find). After poking around on the web, I realized this is a 500 (or more properly, a TA-500) in disguise. Layout looks exactly the same, as are the controls and connections. The only difference is that this unit has a tuning eye tube as opposed to the meter found on the TA-500.:thmbsp:

He had obviously taken great care the electronics. Works beautfully. I cranked some 78s through it and it sounds amazing. Along with the unit, he sold me a homemade speaker cabinet with the speakers from the original console -- a 15" woofer, an 8" mid and a 3.5" tweeter (complete with the original crossover and high freq pots). Cosmetically, both the receiver and cabinet are projects. But man, do they sound good!:music:

Anybody know where I could get some matching concentric knobs for the tone controls and the volume/loudness contour?
 

Attachments

  • Fisher 002.jpg
    Fisher 002.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Fisher 004.jpg
    Fisher 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Fisher 006.jpg
    Fisher 006.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Fisher 001.jpg
    Fisher 001.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 139
Register to hide this ad
For comaprison, here are a couple of the same views on the 500:

Fisher-TA500_rear.jpg


Fisher-TA500_top-chassis.jpg


Do they look identical or what (except that mine has Mullards :banana:)?
 
Looks like early 50s equipment. It's strictly mono, with no allowance for a multiplex attachment.

If you want stereo, you will need two of them.
 
Looks like early 50s equipment. It's strictly mono, with no allowance for a multiplex attachment.

If you want stereo, you will need two of them.
Actually, the multiplex connector is on the right side in the first pic, about halfway up. But I did buy this for mono listening, specifically 78s.
 
Nice! Btw, the TA-500 is considered to be the first true "receiver". It's got a bit of oomph, as well. It should be happy driving whatever speaker you want to use for your mono setup.
 
Anybody know where I could get some matching concentric knobs for the tone controls and the volume/loudness contour?

I may have what you are looking for. I just have to remember what I did with them after cleaning off my coffee table. It looks like what I have would be an exact match to what you have on yours.

Are they both one piece knobs, two piece or one of each?

Dennis
 
Fisher sometimes used smaller value coupling caps in their console amps in an attempt to prevent speaker to turntable feedback, by blocking lower frequencies. I wonder if that tactic was employed on this model?
 
That was only done on models that were actually installed, or intended to be installed, in consoles. The TA-500 was not one of those models.

For example, the X-1000 (the one with 6BQ5's) was the console version of the X-101-ST, and had .0047 uf coupling caps instead of .047. This was supposed to reduce the bass frequencies, and thus the rumble that was transmitted to the turntable. If you're restoring one of these, you could replace the .0047 with .047 and restore the bass response.
 
That was only done on models that were actually installed, or intended to be installed, in consoles. The TA-500 was not one of those models.
My assumption that this is a TA-500 in disguise is based on it having the exact same layout and functions as the 500 (apart from the aforementioned tuning eye tube). This one was part of a console according to the original owner. Where would the coupling caps be on this unit? I can check them out.

It does have plenty of bass. Between the loundness contour and the 15" speaker, it shakes the house pretty good.
 
Are they both one piece knobs, two piece or one of each?
They are both two-piece knobs. Outer shaft has two slots on opposite sides, and the inner shaft is your standard "half-moon" type.

The replacements that are on there now look like they were pulled from an old car radio.
 
Ooops! I've got my head in so many threads tonight I forgot yours was like a TA-500, but isn't actually a TA-500.

I have a schematic for the TA-500, and it appears that the coupling caps are C-69 and C-70, and are connected to pin 5 on both of the EL-37 output tubes. On the TA-500 they are .047 uf. Check and see if yours are .047 or .0047.

Btw, I don't know how familiar you are with tube gear, but DO NOT stick your fingers inside the chassis while it's plugged in. There's over 400 volts on pins 3 and 4 of the outputs, and if you get across that and a ground you'll be dead when you hit the floor. Also, the capacitors will retain a charge for quite a while after it's turned off, so be careful.
 
Looks like they're .047 uf (the one dead center in the pic). The other one is in the foreground, kinda buried and out of focus, but it's the same cap.

Btw, I don't know how familiar you are with tube gear, but DO NOT stick your fingers inside the chassis while it's plugged in.
I'm somewhere between a noob and an amateur. But that much I know! :)
 

Attachments

  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 46
That explains why your bass is good. Those are the original caps, btw, and I would suggest replacing them if you want to start putting some hours on this one.
 
Yeah, I figured those were the original caps. What stuns me is how well it appears to be working as is. It's dead quiet until you crank it well past the 12 o'clock position.

I'll get it recapped. Not sure I'm confident enough to do the whole thing myself at this point.

This is the mono rig I'm planning on living the rest of my life with. So it's worth it to me to get it done right.
 
For example, the X-1000 (the one with 6BQ5's) was the console version of the X-101-ST, and had .0047 uf coupling caps instead of .047. This was supposed to reduce the bass frequencies, and thus the rumble that was transmitted to the turntable. If you're restoring one of these, you could replace the .0047 with .047 and restore the bass response.

Good to know, I figured there was a similar model! I've got one that needs the PS caps (among others) replaced, I'm going to try and "stuff" the cans with the small caps that parts express sells. The chassis on it is so small I can't see any other way to go. Would you happen to know where I can get a schematic for it by any chance?
 
I have the Sams folder for the TA-500 - unforrtunately it's about 10,000 miles away right now... I can send a scan when I get home in a week or two.
 
I own a TA-500 and can tell you that you will be very happy with your K-100. I need to do the restoration/recapping thing at some point, as well. Right now, it's serving as a garage receiver until I have some time to spend on it and it sounds excellent with plenty of power.
 
Hallo everyone,

Fisher TA-500, first true receiver? In the 1962 catalog, Fisher says: 1953, first FM-AM receiver with a cascode front end. TA-500 is 1955? What is the model for 1953?

Other "first": Radio Craftsmen, Harman Kardon D1000 & D1100 (1954). Also the Fisher tuner model (1949): first FM-AM tuner with variable AFC (same 1962 catalog source).

More others?

Furtsurfer
 
Back
Top Bottom