• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Friday broken audio haul; small but spendy

Very cool history. Interested to hear more. Care to indulge with a few pics of the bass and bikes?

Here's some pics of the bass.The original owner was an upright player (as am I) and special ordered it with a D-width neck.A perfect fit for us,virtually unplayable for anyone else.It's got that really well used look,kinda like an old hockey stick:)
I'll scan some bike photo's later,as they are all ''pre digital''.

DSCF2337.JPG DSCF2338.JPG
 
I'd like to see the bike pictures to. I actually part time at the local Norton dealer in my very early teens. Always liked British bikes.

BillWojo
 
Here's some pics of the bass.The original owner was an upright player (as am I) and special ordered it with a D-width neck.A perfect fit for us,virtually unplayable for anyone else.It's got that really well used look,kinda like an old hockey stick:)
I'll scan some bike photo's later,as they are all ''pre digital''.

View attachment 787961 View attachment 787962
Nice! The way a Fender should look. And that Ampeg, perfect. My guess from the avitar is you were playing rock with an ear towards the progressive. But a double bass player as well. Much more to the story.

Old photos of old bikes? Look forward to that.

McIntosh wise, looked over the schematic and I poked around a bit. Simple suggestions as how you'd approach the power supply trouble shooting?
 
Start by checking for shorted rectifiers in the power supplies,the most likely culprits being D24,D25,D26,D27.On most meters,the resistance range is structured in such a way as to allow you to perform in-circuit resistance tests without turning on any semiconductor junctions,thereby giving false readings when actually want to test a semiconductor. So,if you're using a DMM,make sure that you use the diode testing range,and not the resistance range.

I believe that the main filter caps C131 & C132 are of the screw-terminal type,so discharge them,remove one connection and also check these for shorts,although these are less likely to cause problems.

Basically,if a unit is pulling a larger than normal amount of power at idle,the output stage and the power supply are the usual suspects.Now it becomes a process of elimination.
 
Start by checking for shorted rectifiers in the power supplies,the most likely culprits being D24,D25,D26,D27.On most meters,the resistance range is structured in such a way as to allow you to perform in-circuit resistance tests without turning on any semiconductor junctions,thereby giving false readings when actually want to test a semiconductor. So,if you're using a DMM,make sure that you use the diode testing range,and not the resistance range.

I believe that the main filter caps C131 & C132 are of the screw-terminal type,so discharge them,remove one connection and also check these for shorts,although these are less likely to cause problems.

Basically,if a unit is pulling a larger than normal amount of power at idle,the output stage and the power supply are the usual suspects.Now it becomes a process of elimination.
Oh right duh they're screw in. I tested in circuit with my esr/trans tester. I also pretended to test the diodes. I'll keep faking it till I make it.
 
The HK PM660 is a wonderful amp, it'll need some work on its pushbutton switches (they are trouble) and check for dry joints on the vertical driver PCB (the bottom edge soldered joints). It will obliterate most integrated amplifiers you care to put it against. HK designed it as their ultimate integrated in 1982 and it ran for three years. It's a DC-Daylight design, not a single capacitor in the line when in direct mode and a dual tapped, dual secondary/PSU for each amplifier.
The phono stage is a work of art.

Funny, I wouldn't even look twice at the Mac. :)
 
Here's some bike pics.It took a while for me to figure out how to scan my photographs into the computer.I'll admit to being a bit of a digital moron.....
The first is my pride and joy,a 1968 Norton P11A.The second is my daily driver,a 1973 Norton Commando 850.

bikes.jpg
 
The HK PM660 is a wonderful amp, it'll need some work on its pushbutton switches (they are trouble) and check for dry joints on the vertical driver PCB (the bottom edge soldered joints). It will obliterate most integrated amplifiers you care to put it against. HK designed it as their ultimate integrated in 1982 and it ran for three years. It's a DC-Daylight design, not a single capacitor in the line when in direct mode and a dual tapped, dual secondary/PSU for each amplifier.
The phono stage is a work of art.

Funny, I wouldn't even look twice at the Mac. :)
Really? I'd think the Mac would at least a bit of a rarity in the commonwealth. Like a Falcon XA in the States. Well maybe not that rare.

Glad you jumped in about the HK. From what I've read and what you reiterated, it is a great amp. Very under appreciated. I knew the electronics recycler had it and I was able to get thrown into the Mac deal. He actually fired it up and it works on mono and reverse but not on stereo. I'm definitely seeing this as part of a 2 channel phono station. I've got a trash picked JVC QL-7 that might go nicely. Any affordable sleeper speaker recommendations?

Carl
 
Here's some bike pics.It took a while for me to figure out how to scan my photographs into the computer.I'll admit to being a bit of a digital moron.....
The first is my pride and joy,a 1968 Norton P11A.The second is my daily driver,a 1973 Norton Commando 850.

View attachment 788277
Sweet. I like the look and history of the Brit scramblers. High sided exhaust, knobby tires, Steve McQueen, desert racing...Still running 2-1 on the Commando? See mostly black 750/850s with peashooters here in the SF Bay Area.

I'm a member of the computer challenged club. Which is funny as I grew up in the age of the PC surrounded by the people that either invented or helped usher in the age of digital. God I learned basic programming on an Apple II when I was very young. Was on the internet before Netscape. Listening,playing music or being outside playing baseball were much more of an attention draw.

Now in my second childhood, I'm obsessed with learning audio repair and electronics. Too bad this interest didn't happen earlier. I'm sure I was around people who would've been thrilled to teach a young mind. An eager adult mind, not so much.
 
I'm a big fan of the AMC hybrids.Plus,Clint Eastwood rode a P11.McQueen usually rode the Triumph TR6C.I've got one of those too,piped as an ''R'' now,as I got tired of burning my leg,and my days of screaming around off-road are behind me.Maybe.....because there's also a Matchless G80 TCS sitting in my garage that I'm considering restoring:cool:

Most Commandos out here are also black with peashooters.The 2 into 1 is an old Bub megaphone with the removable baffle.And no,I don't run it open. (well,not often!)
The seat is not my usual,which leads me to believe that I took the picture after my ex or one of my buddy's wives had been riding it.They are all shorties,so they ditch my Roadster seat and nick the one from my 1969 Commando S as it's lower.
 
Wow that was a serious collection, nice score. You're on the Peninsula, my Fisher 500c is missing some tubes, we might have to talk.
Yeah I'm buried in tubes for stuff I don't even own, going though them and trying to get some kind of order. Also testing but I don't want to test tubes that don't relate to tuners, preamps, amps and really HiFi.
 
Back
Top Bottom