• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Goodwill Stereo

Sethbramwell

Active Member
Been working for a few weeks to put together a system by thrifting on the cheap. Here is the fruit of my hunting...


Pioneer PL-S40 Turntable with a brand new Audio Technics 1001 cartridge/Stylus, (1.99 + 0.60, Goodwill outlet. I actually found the sealed cartridge months ago, and have held onto it since then.)

Pioneer SX-203 Receiver/Amp (9.60, Savers)

Kenwood KX-W891 Tape deck (14.99, Goodwill)

Technics SL-PD888 5-CD changer/player (0.99, Goodwill Sale day)

Pioneer S-CR3000-K Speakers (2). (2.09, Savers, 30% off coupon)

Tall cabinet with glass doors and light (1.99, Goodwill Outlet plus 12 for wood for new shelves) I also found the colored vinyl 45 RPM records I used for decoration at the Goodwill Outlet. :-)
IMG_6070.JPG IMG_6071.JPG IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6074.JPG IMG_6075.JPG IMG_6076.JPG IMG_6077.JPG IMG_6080.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
First, welcome to Audiokarma!

Secondly, I've said it before, and I'll state it again - those Technics with MASH circuitry sound exceptional. Takes much of the brassiness out of the cd medium. I've had many myself pass thru my collection, and keep a couple around.

Sounds like you're having fun! Rock on. Might hit that Pioneer with some Windex and a microfiber, clean some of that crud off it. Does it have the lit, motorized volume knob? Love those.

Edit - I see it is not. My mistake.
 
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to wipe the equipment down soon, I just picked up a fresh microfiber cloth this afternoon for that purpose.

The TT lid is pretty scratched up and has a crack, but otherwise it works like a dream. Any tips on polishing out scratches, or would it even be worth it?
 
Nice! I like it! And I used a Novus polishing kit (3 part) to polish out my TT dust cover. Applied it with a regular old drill and a 5" buffing kit I got off eBay. Adding soapy water to the buffer made the operation go quickly but made a real mess (don't wear nice clothes). Worked really well... much better than expected.
 
Nice! I like it! And I used a Novus polishing kit (3 part) to polish out my TT dust cover. Applied it with a regular old drill and a 5" buffing kit I got off eBay. Adding soapy water to the buffer made the operation go quickly but made a real mess (don't wear nice clothes). Worked really well... much better than expected.

Thanks! I'll be checking that out.
 
Great start there, we will have you collecting gear like crazy. Try to only buy upgrades, otherwise you may get buried in a pile of mediocre gear.

Love the cabinet, the light is nice!
 
Great start there, we will have you collecting gear like crazy.

I fear I may already be there, but I'm making up for it in a way. Picked up a JVC receiver for 99 cents a couple weeks ago and flipped it for $30.00. I also snagged a Yamaha receiver (I forget the model number) at the GW Outlet for 1.99. I had to grab some knobs from a trashed one that was also there and they don't fit perfectly, but it's working for a garage system. Also sitting on a meh 5-CD changer in the garage at the moment (also 99 cents, grabbed the same day and store as the Technics I'm using just in case the Technics had issues I did not catch).

I had passed that cabinet by at ten bucks a few days before they marked it down to 1.99. I was doubtful, but I love how it worked out! The next thing I would love to find is a decent set of bigger speakers. I was very taken with the Pioneer S-CR3000-K Speakers as they sound good to my ears and they were rated as 16 ohm impedance (high end of the range recommended for the receiver, 8-16 ohms).
 
I have found many cool pieces at Savers... Including mint Mirage bookshelves, EPI 180's and seemingly new NHT Super Ones along with a mint Onkyo TX4500 and a TX5000 that just needed lights, also a Phillips 212... etc.... Congrats... keep looking.
 
Oh man, in Lost Wages??

Yeah, join Bartertown (25 of the best spent bucks EVER) and then post a WTB or FREE ad asking for any speakers nobody wants.

You'll be neck deep. Good luck.
 
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to wipe the equipment down soon, I just picked up a fresh microfiber cloth this afternoon for that purpose.

The TT lid is pretty scratched up and has a crack, but otherwise it works like a dream. Any tips on polishing out scratches, or would it even be worth it?
It takes some work but you need to decide if it's worth the effort. You need to start with a semi course sand paper like 100 to sand out the major scratches and work your way twords 1500 wet and dry using it wet. Then some rubbing compound and then polishing compound finishing it off with a good car wax. The final result can be like new if you put in the time and effort. If the cover is tinted or smoked you may have problems. Clear covers are the best to work with for good results.
 
Back
Top Bottom