• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Jolly Ol' Celestion Dittons

Cadillac Kid

Addicted Member
Found a pair of these Celestion Ditton 200 in the Thrift on Friday and had to bring them home. Made in England, heavy with nice cherry veneer. They are 23.5 inches high with two 8" drivers and a silky smooth tweeter. I think they are from the 1980s. Very little info on these on the net, a little on boards in England.

Playing some Neil Young and hitting them with some tube power and I am quite impressed. Anyone have them or know anything about them?

Speaker rolling is fun...
 

Attachments

  • Celestion Ditton.jpg
    Celestion Ditton.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Danke vielmals! Bookmarked it. I now know that they are part of the 120, 150, 200, 300 series. Do you know when that brochure is from? Your site will be a great resource for info for us..
 
Last edited:
Just found another scan on your site in English that has great information and specs. They use two 8" drivers. One for a woofer and one for mid and passive woofer. They say vinyl, but mine are real cherry veneer. I do not think they were popular or even sold in the US. The Ditton 150 reminds me of the original Polk 7 with its 8" passive radiator. I have the Polks, but these Dittons are much tighter with the low frequencies.

I am going to spend hours browsing your site.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Nice speakers (going by other Celestions I've heard). I think there were a few of the Ditton series sold in the states, as I see them from time to time on my CL. I'm kicking myself for passing up a pair of Celestion Ditton 44s and 15s over the past year. Celestion is a slippery slope...you'll find that a lot of their speakers are simply excellent, and just very easy to get lost in when listening to them. I have the smaller SL-6 stand mounted speakers, very excellent, and a pair of B&W Dm-2a with a Celestion tweeter that is just 'right'.
 
Some 30 years ago I had a pair of Celestion bookshelf speakers, a 5" woofer and a dome tweeter, amazing sound for what they did, can't recall the model number.
 
I have some Ditton 440's, I think. I made the mistake of recapping the tweet with a clear but cold sounding Hovland cap. I just got a pair of Vintage Spraque PIO's to remedy that.
They are warm speakers with nice mids.

Looking at your Database, it appears i have the 442's
 
Last edited:
I picked up a pair of Ditton 200 Celestion at an estate sale today in pretty good shape.The speaker cloth is a little ragged on both of them looks like a cat used them for a scratching post.I'm really impressed with them has a nice rich sound to them.I'm listening to some Santana they really bring out a full sound,better than a pair of Bose 6.2's.Thanks to Michael-Otto for your link to them. Keith
 
I've just got a pair of ditton 200 and I'm pushing them with a 50 wpc yamaha receiver. They could have a bit deeper bass but they still sound superb looking at the midrange and treble. I'm using a mirage subwoofer and I'm sure that if I just crank the bass a bit they sound deeper and more rich with a bit more impact.
 
Back
Top Bottom