• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My McIntosh starter set C504 MC502 ML1C (added update)

triple20

71 Cutlass S / Hurst wheels
Subscriber
My first McIntosh gear.
Looking forward to learning more about the brand.
Sooner or later I'll add the MQ 101 since it is part of the speaker system and some sort of a McIntosh tuner,yes I'm one of the very few who still use FM radio lol
What tuner would be considered matching for the pre and power amps?
thank you

 
Register to hide this ad
MR500 or MR510 tuner would be ideal visual match to the slimline C504 and MC502 units you have now. A bit rare but one should turn up if you're patient. Lots of tuner listeners here! :)

**Currently there are two MR500s listed on the auction site.
 
MR500 or MR510 tuner would be ideal visual match to the slimline C504 and MC502 units you have now. A bit rare but one should turn up if you're patient. Lots of tuner listeners here! :)

**Currently there are two MR500s listed on the auction site.
Thank you very much!
I'll take a look at those and start doing some research.
Nice to hear I'm not the last hold out who still listen's to tuners :beerchug:
 
I own four tuners ... ;)

And those slimline Mc pieces are slim on everything but performance. Well done.
4 tuners,nice!
I've been reading as much about these compact models and have been impressed with some of the features for their size.
Thank you very much!
 
The little 502 amp is a great amp. It easily puts out 70 watts in great shape. Just be careful playing music with a lot electronic instruments. The little tweeter only handles 7 watts RMS. You really need a MQ 104 or 107 to go with the speakers. I started with a MQ 101 and much prefer the results with a MQ 107. Roger Russell who designed the ML and XR speakers and Audio Classics got together and developed an update for the ML and early XR speakers if you ever have an issue. Morel drivers and a crossover update are used. Then a ML 1 will out perform a ML2 down to 40 HZ if you have 200 watts per channel for peaks. 19601067_10154759388223963_6790387893717673704_n.jpeg
 
The little 502 amp is a great amp. It easily puts out 70 watts in great shape. Just be careful playing music with a lot electronic instruments. The little tweeter only handles 7 watts RMS. You really need a MQ 104 or 107 to go with the speakers. I started with a MQ 101 and much prefer the results with a MQ 107. Roger Russell who designed the ML and XR speakers and Audio Classics got together and developed an update for the ML and early XR speakers if you ever have an issue. Morel drivers and a crossover update are used. Then a ML 1 will out perform a ML2 down to 40 HZ if you have 200 watts per channel for peaks. View attachment 2251812
Thank you very much for the info!
I'm going to do some research on this subject.
 
Thank you very much!
I'll take a look at those and start doing some research.
Nice to hear I'm not the last hold out who still listen's to tuners :beerchug:
You certainly are not alone in listening to music on FM tuner, @triple20 .:thumbsup:
Here in Indiana, I frequently listen to a Jazz station, 88.7 “ the Diamond” out of Indianapolis. (See photo)
And I do understand your interest in a Mac tuner, as I have Mac units also. But, if you have a lot of vintage and some new, nothing wrong in mixing. ( purists will cringe at aesthetics and compatibility). As a long time audio collector, I very much respect the earlier 70s Pioneer tuners, Kenwood, Marantz and others. (My Humble System)
Their designs & performance are timeless as well. I use a late 70s digital tuner frequently :music:
Going all Mac can take a lot of space, but are timeless units.
 

Attachments

  • 4064AA22-A584-4FAF-90A4-96E84E7CE7E1.jpeg
    4064AA22-A584-4FAF-90A4-96E84E7CE7E1.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I listen to WQXR station and Wind and Brass broadcasts and the two local college stations and really enjoy the sound. But as I live in West Texas with the Franklin and Juarez mountains to cause multipath distortions and WQXR is in New York City I stream the broad casts. I have compared the FM broadcasts over the air versus the stream broadcasts and the dynamics and clarity are better with the streamed signals. MY MR 80 and kids MR 78 were tuned up a few years ago so I know its just the difference between the over the air stuff versus what I receive via the internet. I know one thing there is less compression for sure with the streamed signal.. I have to use my 3 BX to get similar dynamics and less back ground noise. Top two octaves seem better delivered also.
 
I listen to WQXR station and Wind and Brass broadcasts and the two local college stations and really enjoy the sound. But as I live in West Texas with the Franklin and Juarez mountains to cause multipath distortions and WQXR is in New York City I stream the broad casts. I have compared the FM broadcasts over the air versus the stream broadcasts and the dynamics and clarity are better with the streamed signals. MY MR 80 and kids MR 78 were tuned up a few years ago so I know its just the difference between the over the air stuff versus what I receive via the internet. I know one thing there is less compression for sure with the streamed signal.. I have to use my 3 BX to get similar dynamics and less back ground noise. Top two octaves seem better delivered also.
Wow. Certainly not the case here with KBAQ ... at least it wasn't when I last checked.
 
You certainly are not alone in listening to music on FM tuner, @triple20 .:thumbsup:
Here in Indiana, I frequently listen to a Jazz station, 88.7 “ the Diamond” out of Indianapolis. (See photo)
And I do understand your interest in a Mac tuner, as I have Mac units also. But, if you have a lot of vintage and some new, nothing wrong in mixing. ( purists will cringe at aesthetics and compatibility). As a long time audio collector, I very much respect the earlier 70s Pioneer tuners, Kenwood, Marantz and others. (My Humble System)
Their designs & performance are timeless as well. I use a late 70s digital tuner frequently :music:
Going all Mac can take a lot of space, but are timeless units.
We are almost neighbors,I'm in NW Indiana and in fact I made a trip to Indy to buy this Mac gear.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who still enjoys FM radio.
I do have other tuners I can use but I enjoy having matching or at least sets from the same brand.
Thank you
 
We are almost neighbors,I'm in NW Indiana and in fact I made a trip to Indy to buy this Mac gear.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who still enjoys FM radio.
I do have other tuners I can use but I enjoy having matching or at least sets from the same brand.
Thank you
:thumbsup:You are welcome. Yes, we are Hoosiers and almost neighbors. Another place for Mac used equipment is
Audio Solutions, in Broadripple ( north Indy). Call them for inventory.:)
 
:thumbsup:You are welcome. Yes, we are Hoosiers and almost neighbors. Another place for Mac used equipment is
Audio Solutions, in Broadripple ( north Indy). Call them for inventory.:)
Thank you very much!
I'll check out Audio Solutions for sure.
 
The little 502 amp is a great amp. It easily puts out 70 watts in great shape. Just be careful playing music with a lot electronic instruments. The little tweeter only handles 7 watts RMS. You really need a MQ 104 or 107 to go with the speakers. I started with a MQ 101 and much prefer the results with a MQ 107. Roger Russell who designed the ML and XR speakers and Audio Classics got together and developed an update for the ML and early XR speakers if you ever have an issue. Morel drivers and a crossover update are used. Then a ML 1 will out perform a ML2 down to 40 HZ if you have 200 watts per channel for peaks. View attachment 2251812

Hello, I currently have a set of XR-7's that I would like to perform the upgrade on to Morel super tweeter and mid-dome replacement. Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the super tweeter and mid-dome? Also what changes are made to the cross-overs? I contacted Audio Classics but they aren't sure if they have the parts since they haven't done an upgrade in awhile. Thanks!
 
Great gear! I like the smaller profile.
Also, FM is still played in my house. WWOZ listener supported New Orleans - WTUL Tulane University radio - and others.
 
Back
Top Bottom