• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My name is Lee and I have a Large Advent Addiction....

culcuhain

Active Member
I started my vintage setup with a Marantz 2015 receiver. My friend had a friend selling vintage gear.... so for $150 I picked up some New Large Advents (bullnose)... OMG they sound good... soon they are a set of stacked Large Advents (2nd pair are refoamed and have the sharper bullnose edge opposed to the softer/rounder edge)....Now the Living room system has a set of Large Advent Utilities I got for a song... shipped.... My name is Lee and I have an addiction...
 
Register to hide this ad
Hopefully your not gonna try stacking those NLA's with that little Marantz as the power source! :wtf: If so, I see smoke in the picture. :no:
 
Hopefully your not gonna try stacking those NLA's with that little Marantz as the power source! :wtf: If so, I see smoke in the picture. :no:

Agreed. I doubt that 15 watt amp would be able to drive a 4 ohm load for very long. I used a Crown DC300A with mine. Stacked Advents really open up with 200 wpc.
 
These guys are right on the money. That receiver will cease to exist if your plan is to present it with that kind of load. Your plan will not work......at least not for long.

And Carl is right. The stacked Advent configuration sounds great.......ONLY IF........it is properly driven. Your Marantz simply cannot do that.
 
These guys are right on the money. That receiver will cease to exist if your plan is to present it with that kind of load. Your plan will not work......at least not for long.

And Carl is right. The stacked Advent configuration sounds great.......ONLY IF........it is properly driven. Your Marantz simply cannot do that.

My son took one pair of Advents with him when he moved out. He had both pairs stacked in his bedroom for the past few years and drove them with a 100 wpc amp. I'm presently driving the remaining pair with a 125 wpc Optonica receiver.
 
Welcome to the club :) Agreed with the others, what are you driving the OLA and NLA's with?
 
Agreed. I doubt that 15 watt amp would be able to drive a 4 ohm load for very long. I used a Crown DC300A with mine. Stacked Advents really open up with 200 wpc.
It's actually worse as the actual impedance drops to about 2.6 in two different regions when paralleled. Similarly, I drove mine with a Threshold Stasis 3 for many years. Since it was designed to drive electrostats (and did for me for almost twenty years), it had no problem with the DA load.

I currently use a single pair of the New flavor in the garage driven by a NAD 326BEE.

advents2015.jpg
 
Congrats on the Marantz and Advents.

After all the tons of gear I've had and have. The Advents still shine as great speakers.

I have stacked them and it is incredible.

Driving 2 sets with a unit that has A and B connections is fine. As long as you don't crank the amp up to clipping levels for long periods. Why anyone wants things that loud is a mystery. Unless you are having a keg party.

Big power on OLA or NLA? Hmmm, I don't think I ever tried that. They sound great with smaller stuff.
 
Nice garage. I wish I had room for a system in mine. Fortunately, my listening room is right behind the garage, so I just open the door and turn it up.
 
Perhaps both pair I had needed a recap, but I was underwhelmed. Gave one pair to a friend (gorgeous bull nose with cream cloth, man, they were sure something to behold) and the other pair I sold (to same guy, lol).
I agree with others in that you need more power.
 
Advent only rates them at 60 watts power handling, but they will take more. They advise, as do I, that if using an amp rated over 60 wpc, you should add fuses to the speakers. I have a couple of spare tweeters but fuses are cheaper and easier to find. I've owned mine for almost 40 years and have only blown one tweeter. That was before I fused them many years ago.
 
Perhaps both pair I had needed a recap, but I was underwhelmed. Gave one pair to a friend (gorgeous bull nose with cream cloth, man, they were sure something to behold) and the other pair I sold (to same guy, lol).
I agree with others in that you need more power.

I bought both pairs in 1976. They have been refoamed but never recapped. I could be wrong but I think there only is one cap in the crossover.

I just connected my remaining pair last week to hear them again. I hadn't heard them except in my son's small bedroom since 2009. The stacked pairs were in my main system for over 30 years prior to giving them to my son. I sat in front of them a couple of nights ago and they still sound very good. I have several pairs of speakers that I prefer over the Advents, but I can't let go of them. My son may take the second pair when he gets his own place. He didn't want to take both pairs because his present room mate has a large dog and was concerned that he would tip them over.

I applied a coat of Howard's Feed N' Wax to them the other day and they look as good as the day I bought them.
 
Last edited:
A few years ago I had a pristine Marantz 2275 pushing a beautiful set of Walnut Advents, a match made in heaven. I'd still have them if I had the room but decided to keep my Yamaha CR1020 and NS690's instead, both setup's make beautiful music...
 
They are stacked and hooked up to the main and remote connections. It is used in the bedroom only and at lower listening volumes. The 2015 will eventually go to the garage with some bookshelf speakers once I get another Marantz for the Bedroom.... i can't crank the radio too loud or it wakes the 2 year old and then he wants to rock out for hours....
 
A few years ago I had a pristine Marantz 2275 pushing a beautiful set of Walnut Advents, a match made in heaven. I'd still have them if I had the room but decided to keep my Yamaha CR1020 and NS690's instead, both setup's make beautiful music...

Having had both of those setups, or at least very close, that is interesting to me, since you'd think both systems would have a completely different sound. But yeah, that's some great matchups.
 
Nice, but I hope no one comes running out those doors. :confused:
Perhaps only a confused leaf blower. :)

Nice garage. I wish I had room for a system in mine. Fortunately, my listening room is right behind the garage, so I just open the door and turn it up...They advise, as do I, that if using an amp rated over 60 wpc, you should add fuses to the speakers.
Thanks. It makes puttering around the garage or working on the bike or cars nice. As for power, the New Advents that I have use ferro fluid cooled tweeters that don't require such. For several years running when I used doubles, I took them next door for my neighbor's Halloween party (pics from '09). It was outdoors, so I put them atop a brick wall in a lateral tweeter-to-tweeter arrangement for better coverage. It was for their teenaged daughter who provided all the (compressed MP3) content. They ran wide open (400 watts from a Threshold Stasis) for four hours straight and really cranked. No fried tweeters. One year, however, the surrounds on one pair were reduced to shreds! They were pretty old already, but the party accelerated their demise. Refoaming those was no big deal. Have a spare kit for the next time around.

halloween1.jpg
halloween2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom