• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new set up (coming in the mail soon).

I constantly see inexpensive subs at my Goodwill store, you might find one near you as well.
 
I constantly see inexpensive subs at my Goodwill store, you might find one near you as well.
I see one at Monoprice that is 60 watts total power.

Would this be compatible with my Yamaha Natural sound R-3 Receiver if the receiver is rated at 35 watts per channel?

Does that mean it can power a 60 watt Sub because 35+35=70 total Watts?
 
When I buy a Subwoofer should its wattage be equal or greater to that of the receiver?
That won't matter. The sub's own built in amp will power the sub and will only use the power from the Yamaha as signal and the adjusted crossover in the sub amp will send the power from the Yamaha onto your bookshelf speakers minus what it filtered out so both sub and bookshelf won't be producing the same frequencies. Not explaining this very well, maybe someone with more knowledge on exactly how this works with an amp without a sub out.
 
I see one at Monoprice that is 60 watts total power.

Would this be compatible with my Yamaha Natural sound R-3 Receiver if the receiver is rated at 35 watts per channel?

Does that mean it can power a 60 watt Sub because 35+35=70 total Watts?

The Yamaha won't "power" the sub exactly but simply provide a source. The Yamaha volume control will still be your primary point of adjustment but the sub would usually have at least a couple of controls on it. One is for the crossover point which is where it "takes over" from the smaller speakers at (for example 100 hz) the low frequencies to send that signal to it's larger woofer. Above that point is handled by the smaller speakers with perhaps some overlap. The other control will be for volume of the subwoofer and you set it so that it does not overpower but compliments the range of the little speakers.
 
The Yamaha won't "power" the sub exactly but simply provide a source. The Yamaha volume control will still be your primary point of adjustment but the sub would usually have at least a couple of controls on it. One is for the crossover point which is where it "takes over" from the smaller speakers at (for example 100 hz) the low frequencies to send that signal to it's larger woofer. Above that point is handled by the smaller speakers with perhaps some overlap. The other control will be for volume of the subwoofer and you set it so that it does not overpower but compliments the range of the little speakers.
The speakers I have chosen are 100 watts.

I chose these because I want speakers that have far more power than necessary for the receivers output.

Here is the link to the monoprice Subwoofer I mentioned.

Please tell me how well you think it would work with the Yamaha Natural sound R-3 vintage receiver and the 100 watt (per piece) Bookshelf speakers.

Thanks.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248
 
That will probably work just fine with the speakers you chose. Please read the Monoprice blurb on the S/W as it does a fine job of explaining what it does and how to adjust it.

The 100 watt rating on those speakers can be misinterpreted. You will likely never come close to driving them with 100 watts, and they don't "have far more power" than the receiver, they can accept more power. However the receiver can also probably put out more power than 35 but at unacceptable levels of distortion.

Most "normal" listening is actually down at quite low wattage levels, perhaps 5 watts plus or minus. Having more power available is great but with a system such as you are putting together it will rarely come into play.
 
That will probably work just fine with the speakers you chose. Please read the Monoprice blurb on the S/W as it does a fine job of explaining what it does and how to adjust it.

The 100 watt rating on those speakers can be misinterpreted. You will likely never come close to driving them with 100 watts, and they don't "have far more power" than the receiver, they can accept more power. However the receiver can also probably put out more power than 35 but at unacceptable levels of distortion.

Most "normal" listening is actually down at quite low wattage levels, perhaps 5 watts plus or minus. Having more power available is great but with a system such as you are putting together it will rarely come into play.

What's the simplest way of connecting that particular subwoofer to my system?

And, before I go ahead and purchase it, can you clearly outline once more why I would want to add this?

I ask because as I mentioned earlier the receiver I am waiting for now has some extra knobs/buttons I did not see on other receivers such as "bass extension".

I am considering waiting till the receiver arrives and trying it without the Sub before ordering but if you can give me a convincing reason now not to wait I would go ahead and place the order.
 
Wait. Get the system set up and just listen for a while.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, you are. I do not use a subwoofer in my stereo system and you might not want it or need it either.

Get the owners manual for the R3 here: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/r-3.shtml

It says a bit about the Loudness and Bass Extension controls.
You're correct. I am trying to talk myself into it based on a few audiophile recommendations here.

And I am seeking confirmation as to why I should move forward with it.

Thanks for the link, I already downloaded the PDF at hifi engine last night.
 
I guess I was looking to understand why the bass extension would be inadequate and why the Subwoofer would be a definite must have.

I listen to all sorts of music.

So, what situations would the subwoofer be necessary that a bass extension knob would play an inadequate role in?
 
I guess I was looking to understand why the bass extension would be inadequate and why the Subwoofer would be a definite must have.

I listen to all sorts of music.

So, what situations would the subwoofer be necessary that a bass extension knob would play an inadequate role in?

Like Monty said - enjoy/get your new system setup and start listening. Only you can decide if it needs more bass not us. If you fell to earth - and listened to the system for the first time - you would probably think it sounds wonderful - so stay that way and enjoy it - if you happen to have a frame of reference - and listen to the system and think it needs more umph - then in the future you might want to get a sub. Only you can figure this out.
 
Like Monty said - enjoy/get your new system setup and start listening. Only you can decide if it needs more bass not us. If you fell to earth - and listened to the system for the first time - you would probably think it sounds wonderful - so stay that way and enjoy it - if you happen to have a frame of reference - and listen to the system and think it needs more umph - then in the future you might want to get a sub. Only you can figure this out.

Interestingly, I am not a big "bass" guy.

I like some bass but I honestly lack an understanding or proper comprehension for the fetishization of bass.

As a musician I do enjoy the instrument and sound of it of course. But with my most recent set up (built from mostly used parts) I had these vintage KLH speakers that were way too bassy and seemed to drown out the subtle beauty of everything else.

I am not in any rush, so I will definitely give the system a listen prior to adding a Sub. In the meantime I find it helpful to learn how to connect things just in case.
 
Interestingly, I am not a big "bass" guy.

I like some bass but I honestly lack an understanding or proper comprehension for the fetishization of bass.

As a musician I do enjoy the instrument and sound of it of course. But with my most recent set up (built from mostly used parts) I had these vintage KLH speakers that were way too bassy and seemed to drown out the subtle beauty of everything else.

I am not in any rush, so I will definitely give the system a listen prior to adding a Sub. In the meantime I find it helpful to learn how to connect things just in case.

It's good that you have the KLHs - that will be your frame of reference to help determine what you want from the new speakers.
 
It's good that you have the KLHs - that will be your frame of reference to help determine what you want from the new speakers.
Well the new ones I ordered (and I emphasize the word 'new') seem to have a decent balance according to amazon reviews. They're called "sound appeal 2.0" speakers.

They're inexpensive and a fill in for what ever comes in a few months or what ever. And if they sound fine they'll stick around a bit longer of course.

By the way.

The thing about buying mostly new components now is due to time management. I have a full time job that I am pretty passionate about and I am growing fast with, and I also do martial arts and things on my days off, so I definitely need to spend basic time with setting up a system right now. Therefor fixing or optimizing a bunch of used components isn't currently on the agenda but I am learning more every day. Even with my recent temporary set up consisting of used components it taught me a little about these things and I imagine the new set up with be a simple charm comparatively speaking.
 
I actually have those speakers. They sound very good especially for the amount they cost. Very clean highs and warm mids, and a surprising amount of base for their size. I actually bough them to gut the components for another project. But they sounded so good they are now the main speakers on my second system.

picture of when i had them on my main system for testing.
16878539200_0551d4829e_b.jpg
 
I actually have those speakers. They sound very good especially for the amount they cost. Very clean highs and warm mids, and a surprising amount of base for their size. I actually bough them to gut the components for another project. But they sounded so good they are now the main speakers on my second system.

picture of when i had them on my main system for testing.
16878539200_0551d4829e_b.jpg

Yea, they're the ones atop the floor standing tower speakers.

I have not even unboxed them yet.

I'll wait for the other components to arrive before taking them out as I still have to remove some Advent Av5 speakers from the space these will go. The Advents are okay but they were given to me when I was doing an estate Job last year. The woofers are smaller.

And as I await the other components i'll just make another small adjustment to the cabinet the turntable is going on with the bubble level to assure it's as close to perfectly levelled as possible.

And the fun begins.
 
My receiver came (I think, still haven't unboxed it).

Now the only remaining component is (ostensibly) the turntable!
 
Back
Top Bottom