• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My new sony ta 5650 Vfet

Are you kidding???? Don't give up if all that you needs is new diodes. I think there is someone here who has a few of those diodes :) Get some, or send him the amp for the 'complete treatment.' If you are seriously getting rid of it-----how far 'up north' are you, and what's your price??

Steve.
 
YB2, I have no idea what the repair costs would be in relation to the amp itself . I have asked a few here but I havent been able to determine that.
I live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota ya no.

RC
 
If the Twin Cities can produce F. Scott Fitzgerald, they can fix your amp.
 
Last edited:
doucanoe said:
YB2, I have no idea what the repair costs would be in relation to the amp itself . I have asked a few here but I havent been able to determine that. I live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota ya no. RC
Try here. Mark has a great rep. Tell him I sent you.
Mark Wilson (AbSoundLabs@sihope.com)
Absolute Sound Laboratories
[Serving the Audio Professional Since 1964]
210 N. River Ridge Circle
Burnsville, MN 55337-1612 USA
Ph: (952) 894-5580 fax: (952) 895-9136

But, I would spend the $25 it takes to send to EW :thmbsp: when he starts accepting gear again. If only the diodes, the cost should be $100, or less. But, again, if it were me, I would have a total recap done and have Black Gates put in the phono stage and Muse (Nichicon) or TOTL Panasonics put everywhere else. Believe me. Your TA-5650 will get back every penny you put into it should you be serious about selling. Now or after a recap/diode upgrade. Nothing sounds as good as VFETs (and I'm not biased :D ).
 
Last edited:
Maybe I will check with Mark and see if he can fixer up. Its just that I have so many audio projects backing up and Im pretty much into tube audio. I have been hanging onto the Sony for driving my Kef 105's (another project by the way)

I understand the EchoWars is not accepting new amps at the moment or he would be my choice for sure based on the many positive comments here.
As it is right now, I can hear the potential in the amp so I would like to get it fixed but at the same time I would really like to throw a new tube integrated in my main system.

Here are my projects to date:
(Not in any order to speak of)

1) recap and refinish my Frazier Dixielanders
2) Order and install new UniQ tweeters for the KEF 105's
3) Refinish the cabs on my large walnut Advents, rework grilles.
4) Recap my Sherwood S-5000
5) Subwoofer project using the small "Iconic/Valencia" cabs
6) GET THE SONY FIXED!!

Im not a tech so some of these things I will do my self but the more difficult work will be done by a qualified individual. There is only so much fun money to go around!

RC
 
My hopes are fading for the Idaho job, but it still could possibly happen. If you aren't in a hurry, get back with me. Even if I do get the job, I'll be repairing again once I get a shop set up in Boise.

I was supposed to find out today about the job, but due to complex reasons the decision has been delayed another week. :sigh:
 
EW is the VFET expert

I would recommend waiting on EW for this repair work on a VFET amp. I think my TAN-5550 was the first Sony VFET amp EW worked on. Regardless, he has spent a lot of time working on various units to great success. I am exceedingly happy with mine. :thmbsp:

I also live in Minnesota, south of the Twin Cities.


Scott
 
RC - If you have any reason to suspect something might be amiss it would probably be best to not use your TA-5650. If something pops it could certainly take out a VFET and then the amp becomes nothing but a box of parts.

EW has now worked on several Sony VFET units as well as my B-2 amps. My guess he is THE person in NAmerica to go to for VFET service, considering how few there are out there. Probably no one has worked on as many as he has in the past two years.

Also, if your TA-5650 sounds like my TA-5650 did then you will only be able to tell the difference between it and tubes on the low end and the highest of the high end. The TA-5650 will have more balls down low. And an extended high end. Other than that it is, without a doubt, to my ears, the most 'tube-like' (a rather shop-worn term) and musical SS amp I've ever listened to.
 
RC - If you have any reason to suspect something might be amiss it would probably be best to not use your TA-5650. If something pops it could certainly take out a VFET and then the amp becomes nothing but a box of parts.


I really have only ran it to see if all was functioning. Other than that I have just been admiring it on my visits into the basement audio war room where the rest of my projects reside.

I PM'ed EW, and hopefully we can work it into his schedule sometime in the near future. I wasnt kidding about selling if I couldnt find someone like EW to work on it. I havent used it for the above reasons and just sitting there dosent help me much. Kind of like having a 1200w/ch pair of Krell mono's sitting in your basement that dont work. Nice to have but useless none the less. :D

RC
 
@ ALL AKNOWNLEDGERS & CONNAISSEREUR'S :


SONY: TA-5650,


SHOULD THE GREEN POWER KNOB BULB BURNING ??


:yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes:

:scratch2:

,
darko
 
Last edited:
Hmmm........I don't recall it working on any of the TA-5650s I've owned. Even after being recapped, etc.
 
ok,

seems like only get a real info, to open it up and take a closer look.
my wife ask me, what is now playing?! i say, hmm, did you dont hear the difference? she sayed, oh yes, but i cant see any powered up engines ...

she's right, whitout a red, green or whatever lightning unit - it can be
a puzzle, to know ...

there's a point, right?

:tresbon:

darko
 
My 5450 and 5550 do light up, and the service manuals say the 5650 and 5550 use a 4.5v 40ma bulb and the 5450 an 8v 30ma. Don't ask me why they aren't the same, that's Sony for you.
 
only one Thing to say:

The Power Bulb? its working! One broken Wire was the Issue ...

BTW: its in green!

Thank You Guys,


Darko
 
My Wega V-4810 (identical to sony TA-5650 except for the black frontpanel) runs Rogers LS3/5A......i love this combination.....gives me tube like sound, and dynamics of transistor amp in one.

The Wega V-4810 stays very cool.....no heat at all......it sounds ok....should i let someone take a look at it? I read overhere it should run very hot, as my late Sony TA-5650 did.
 
Back
Top Bottom