• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My NHT Superone score

RunOutGroove

Addicted Member
A while back I was asking folks about speaker that might be had for pretty cheap that would be good for a computer sound system that I was putting together. The NHTs were recommended among others but though I saw some in the local ads for $80, which I suppose isn't too bad, I was wanting to go cheaper as I was feeling a bit guilty about already spending too much cash already on a couple of sets of speakers bought recently for my main system... so I passed on the NHTs and bought a pair of Energy eXL-15 that I found for all of $20. Later I found the kind of little digital amp that I was looking for, a S.M.S.L Q5 for another $40. Hooking everything up to my iMac, the sound was better than it had a right to be... particularly since I don't even listen to music all that much through my computer. Everything sounded much better than the Altec Lansing powered computer setup that I had, which actually though a little tinny didn't even sound that bad for the kind of thing that it is and the fact that I think I paid all of $5 for it at a garage sale some years ago. That tiny little amp provides plenty of clean power for those speakers and has it's own DAC so you can run USB (or optical cable) from a computer)... though I am having a pesky little issue with it (the left channel cuts out when I shut it down sometimes and I have to switch inputs back and fourth and reboot to get it working)

Though the Energy speakers sounded fine and more than met my expectations for what I was wanting them for, I still had the hi-fi shopping bug and when I saw a pair of the NHTs for sale for just $30, I figured I had to grab them. They were dirty and the finish chipped a bit, but other than that in fine shape and I'm demoing them now. Turns out that they're a bit more power hungry than I would have hoped and they have to be cranked much more than the Energy ones to work. The speakers say 25 watt minimum on the back and the little S.M.S.L digital amp that I'm using is rated at only 20 watts, but it works. In an A/B test the NHTs (probably unsurprisingly) sound much better to my ears than the Energys (which are likely much cheaper speakers even if I have to crank them up). Compared to the smaller Energy speakers the NHTs are smoother, more transparent sounding with punchier, stronger bass. I can only imagine that with a more powerful amp they'd be even better... I might be done with buying my computer sound system, but I might not be (ha!). Eventually I could be looking into a more powerful tiny amp for this thing...

Anyway, I felt that after comparing them to the Energy speakers I needed to try hooking up the NHTs (or at least one of them) to my main system and test them out against my extension speakers, a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s. I did an A/B test (powered by my Marantz 2270) and they both sounded very good (I demoed them with a great CD by a Cuban bass player known Cachiato, which is also the name of the CD). The Warfedales have stronger, deeper more punchy bass and more midrange presence and overall, I enjoy their sound more, but I do like the more laid back, more transparent treble of the NHTs. If I have any criticism of the Wharfedales it's that the treble can be a bit harsh. Overall, particularly for what I paid for them the NHTs sound really nice and they look like something pretty high end. They're heavy and the finish is very nice...
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I've owned both the energy and nht speakers you have, and have used them for my PC setup at times. I was powering them with a dual chip tpa3116 amp, fed by a behringer audio interface. I've since replaced the speakers with Kef Q15, I've found coaxials just seem to be superior on a desk.
 
I've owned both the energy and nht speakers you have, and have used them for my PC setup at times. I was powering them with a dual chip tpa3116 amp, fed by a behringer audio interface. I've since replaced the speakers with Kef Q15, I've found coaxials just seem to be superior on a desk.
I think that I'm done with my speaker buying for the time being... at least for my computer setup. The KEFs do seem interesting and I feel like I've seen that model on sale in the local ads for not too much, though still probably several times the price that I paid for the NHTs. I'd like to hear some of those KEFs... I know that folks tend to like them a lot.

I'm impressed that you've gone through so many speakers (the same ones I've played with) for your computer setup... The only folks I know who are that serious about sound from their computer are people who do audio recording stuff and then they have studio monitors rather than home stereo speakers hooked up to it...
 
7F6497E2-C12C-4FD2-A02B-24D23F5028B0.jpeg Love my Super Ones! Use in my work system streaming Spotify Premium thru Fosi BT chip amp. Ended up getting a pair in Black for my back Porch system. Surprisingly good SQ
 
I think that I'm done with my speaker buying for the time being... at least for my computer setup. The KEFs do seem interesting and I feel like I've seen that model on sale in the local ads for not too much, though still probably several times the price that I paid for the NHTs. I'd like to hear some of those KEFs... I know that folks tend to like them a lot.

I'm impressed that you've gone through so many speakers (the same ones I've played with) for your computer setup... The only folks I know who are that serious about sound from their computer are people who do audio recording stuff and then they have studio monitors rather than home stereo speakers hooked up to it...

I've actually tried many more on my desk. Aside from yours, I've used Energy Take 5.2 (leftover from replacing HT), BIC DV52, NHT SB1, NHT 1.3, Klipsch Synergy SB1, BG Radia Z1. Before finally settling on Kef Q15.
 
I have several pairs of SuperOnes throughout the house, love those little guys.

For my computer/office setup I run a pair of ADS L780's on 36" stands powered by a Carver M200t via a Schiit Modi2, overkill for sure but awesome.
 
Back
Top Bottom