• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My Problem with Luxmans R series

MyHeresyIsMe

Well-Known Member
My problem with the Luxman R series is, I keep buying them. Yes, I have an R-1050, I've had an R-1070, I've had an R-1040, but, gee, I want another one. Before you accuse me of gluttony (although I would fit the description), I just found THE R-1040 that is clean as a whistle, sounds fantastic, and at a very nice price. My 1050 needs a little work, so what's a person to do while the in-place Luxman is up on blocks? Buy another Luxman!! Anybody else have that problem, of collecting Luxmans (or any other brands, or anything that you listen to)? put 'er there!:music:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I hear you man, I'm on the verge of picking up a Luxman M-2000, I have my eye on a Luxman R-115 to use as a pre amp, my R-1040 is next door at my neighbors and I have a lead on a R-1030. I had a a R-115 w/remote and looking back one of my weaker decisions to sell it. I loves me some Luxman and If I could get my hands on a L-80 and or L-85V I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I like the looks of R-10xx's on top of that they sound great.

.
PS: Let's keep this to ourselves, more Luxmans for us.:D
 
Get yourself a R-1120. This is the TOTL model. The R-1120a has plastic clad outputs which are not as good as the metal die T-03's in the non-a version.
 
I love those R series receivers! They are well built and sound great. I used to repair them at a Luxman dealer and it was like being the lonely Maytag repairman, I hardly ever saw one. I would get all excited when I got to work on one! If you run out of room for your receivers you can always send some to me!
 
Haven't heard the R-1120, so I've missed out (so far) on one of life's great pleasures. I have had several Luxmans and for some odd reason, the 1040 has always had a place in my heart. My 1050 is a great, great receiver! But the 1040, while less power, always seemed to have enough to drive my (first generation) Klipsch Heresys for all that I need.

And if you want, dr*audio, you can HAVE the cadaver of a 1070 which is missing a couple of rotary switches (5 wafer and 3 wafer) ---- the boards are good, but I have no use for it. Looks like someone replaced the main power supply transformer, but it worked fine.
 
Haven't heard the R-1120, so I've missed out (so far) on one of life's great pleasures. I have had several Luxmans and for some odd reason, the 1040 has always had a place in my heart. My 1050 is a great, great receiver! But the 1040, while less power, always seemed to have enough to drive my (first generation) Klipsch Heresys for all that I need.

And if you want, dr*audio, you can HAVE the cadaver of a 1070 which is missing a couple of rotary switches (5 wafer and 3 wafer) ---- the boards are good, but I have no use for it. Looks like someone replaced the main power supply transformer, but it worked fine.

Thanks for the kind offer, but with missing non - available rotary switches, that one is a project I would never get working. That's a shame.
 
Got an R1050 in Bartertown if you are still looking. I keep buying stuff too but now I've no place left to put it all. So trying to get rid of most everything and do it again :)
 
harley90, I'll go walk through and see what's available. Thanks for the tip. I see haven't 'subscribed' yet....I better correct that!
 
Luxman Addict (Aficionado)

I have 5 R117s, 2 M117s, 4 TP117s, 1 CD375 and two K110s. Do I qualify for the Luxman Club?

Oh, and I almost forgot, 1 R115 non working currently. I got it because I needed the Tone Defeat switch for one of the R117s. But it should be working soon enough, sans the switch.
 
Last edited:
I'd like to have your problem of too many Luxmans. I have an R-113, purchased from a thrift for $30, hooked to Infinity Kappa 5's as a desktop system. This Luxman unlike the others in that series (R115 & 117) is rated for 4 ohm operation making it a better match for the Kappas.
 
I have 5 R117s, 2 M117s, 4 TP117s, 1 CD375 and two K110s. Do I qualify for the Luxman Club?

Oh, and I almost forgot, 1 R115 non working currently. I got it because I needed the Tone Defeat switch for one of the R117s. But it should be working soon enough, sans the switch.

How do you like the R117 compared to the TP117 + M117 combo?

I've been wanting an R117 as a bedroom receiver - an all-in-one with the convenience of a remote.
 
How do you like the R117 compared to the TP117 + M117 combo?

I've been wanting an R117 as a bedroom receiver - an all-in-one with the convenience of a remote.

I used to own a pair of M-117's and have heard the TP-117 separately. I used to drive the M-117's directly with a variable output CDP. IMO, the R-117 walks all over the M-117 for clarity even with the added signal path length of the R-117's preamp.
 
... This Luxman unlike the others in that series (R115 & 117) is rated for 4 ohm operation making it a better match for the Kappas.

I believe the R117 is stable down to 2 Ohms at 700W, I'm not sure about the R115. I use Magnepan speakers, which are current hogs, and the receiver barely warms.
 
When you come across something you like...

5 R-117's? that's interesting.

Yep, one NIB, three in good to excellent condition, and one which I bought dead to the world, brought back to life, and then recapped with audio grade caps. It is currently the best sounding thing in my collection, amp-wise, including a host of well respected separates. I still have to install the Tone Defeat switch from the R115 into it. I am going to redo the preamp section resistors with MF and look to replace the Opamp, already replaced, with something else to see if I can improve the one weak point in the R117, the preamp section.
 
I used to own a pair of M-117's and have heard the TP-117 separately. I used to drive the M-117's directly with a variable output CDP. IMO, the R-117 walks all over the M-117 for clarity even with the added signal path length of the R-117's preamp.

What he said, and more. Tonally the R117 is, for lack of a better word, seductive. It reproduces instruments and voices with a depth, clarity and fullness that makes listening to other units rather banal. With the right upstream and downstream links in place the sound broaches realism.
 
If I had to choose

How do you like the R117 compared to the TP117 + M117 combo?

I've been wanting an R117 as a bedroom receiver - an all-in-one with the convenience of a remote.

You would gain more with going with the R117 than you would lose. To be sure the TP117/M117 can do some sonic things that just the R117 alone cannot, but for overall sound I would choose the R117 every time, if I had to. The TP117/R117 is the better combo in this scenario BTW.
 
Interesting... You would think the M117/M-03 would be superior - I wonder what the differences are in the power amp sections - perhaps the increased power affected the SQ. I just bought a Denon PMA 2000R as an impulse buy but intend to add a R117 to my collection sometime in the future.
 
I believe the R117 is stable down to 2 Ohms at 700W, I'm not sure about the R115. I use Magnepan speakers, which are current hogs, and the receiver barely warms.

I made the statement based on the rear view of the receiver. It may have something to do with the R-113 using a torroidal transformer which I don't believe is used in the 115 and 117. It may also be conservative spec'ing on the maker's part even though all 3 have 2 ohm dynamic ratings.

If anyone one wants to exchange their 8 ohm spec 115 or 117 for my 4 ohm spec 113 please send me a PM.:D
 

Attachments

  • Luxman R-115.jpg
    Luxman R-115.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 38
  • Luxman R-117.jpg
    Luxman R-117.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom