Hey folks. I started building a vintage rig with eBay finds. I've wasted a lot of time looking for "finds" in thrift stores but since my town went bust in the 70s, I've concluded we have no vintage hi-fi floating around. I end up paying the price with damage in shipping so everything turns into a project no matter what I bid on. I buy low, so no major issues so far.
I started with a Dual 1009. It was a miracle it survived with only a couple minor bits broken. Issues included
I started with a Dual 1009. It was a miracle it survived with only a couple minor bits broken. Issues included
- Tonearm rest broken in shipping. (Replaced via eBay part)
- rear dust cover corner cracked (glued)
- Idler wheel hardened with no traction (sanded lightly)
- XLM II cart desentegrated when removing for lead replacement (Bummer, replaced with Shure M92e)
- automatic functions not working (lube fixed)
- Needle sometimes misses record (not fixed yet)
I recently picked up a good looking Yamaha CR-800, which was trashed in shipping with bashed in corners. Amazingly, it all works. I replaced the bulbs and probably just going to live with the cosmetic issues. It's not that bad, but it looked that good. Bummer.
I'm using Polk monitor 30 and 40 sets I have around the house. So far they seem to pair well.
I got my hands on my first quality vinyl and was amazed at how well this all sounds. My idea of records was based off my parents well loved and worn survivors. My $2 Louis Armstrong TS find was the best deal in the setup, since it showed me the capabilities of analog I was looking for.
Last edited: