• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Altecs

bdblkta

Well-Known Member
Please help id. I have looked and cannot for the life of me figure out what these are. They have some altec badging but were obviously outfitted with some high quality drivers at some time to replace those piercing altec highs... :D

Cabinets are 38" tall (w/2" base making 40" overall) x 24 3/4" wide x 18" deep

55eec699.jpg


42bf7b51.jpg


7eca601a.jpg


Thanks for your help
 
Register to hide this ad
Altec Malibu

No Doubt.. But the horns are missing and crap horns in their place.

Also, the grill cloth isn't right.. It's been changed.

OH.. I see also the woofers have been changed. The only thing left Altec is the box, and even then, the boxes werent built by, but rather for Altec.
 
Too small for Coronados, but it does look like an 811B horn may have lived there once.

Someone gutted the Altec parts for what's in them now. the badges might be worth $20 if they're the vintage Altec ones, but those drivers don't look like anything special.
 
Yeah, I added to my post after I really looked at the picture... nothing is right about them other than the box.. Would make a great project box though for say.. .$100...
 
They aren't 12's.. they are 15's.. and I can promise you those are Malibu's... Had a pair sitting in my livingroom for a couple of months.
 
Currently it has a magnavox'ish 15" with the horn.

These are my uncle's cabinets and I have drivers and horns to fill the holes we were just hoping we could find out what they had originally.

We were going to go with 416-8C and 811 horns with 806-8A drivers.
 
but were obviously outfitted with some high quality drivers at some time to replace those piercing altec highs... :D


:lmao: High quality drivers ? :no: :D

They should sound nice with the 416's 806-8a's. What is the cab volume ? the 416 IMO needs atleast 6 cu.ft. to reach near it's full potential.
 
Last edited:
the drivers you plan to stick in there are very close.. If I remember, the ones I had sitting around had 416Z drivers, and I'm thinking 806, but may have been 802?
 
Currently it has a magnavox'ish 15" with the horn.

These are my uncle's cabinets and I have drivers and horns to fill the holes we were just hoping we could find out what they had originally.

We were going to go with 416-8C and 811 horns with 806-8A drivers.

sweet deal on the drivers !!
 
FWIW, those 60's vintage cabinets could be purchased with blank baffles. That's not to suggest that's the case with these as these seem to have holes that would line up with the outside corners of 811. But, you will occasionally come across a pair of these or 846A style cabinets that have housed a 604/605 duplex or some other "non-stock" load from day 1, they're the exceptions, not the rule.
 
the malibu has 2 drivers.these had a single 15" with an 811 horn.the grill cloth is curved outside but the baffle board is flat.i dont think the material has been changed.
bryan
 
OK.. maybe I'm forgetting.. I tried to see if I had any old pictores of them on the forum... nothing from the inside..
 
Back
Top Bottom