• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery audio-technica stylus

P. S.

Active Member
Hi,

I just acquired a sony ps-x55 turntable with Audio Technica AT1001 cartridge. It has a blue stylus with no model number on it. Can you help ID the model?
I checked the stylus with the jeweler glass and it seems in good shape. Not sure it is worth keeping or I should just order standard white color AT1001 stylus replacement. Not sure what tracking force to apply. My ebay and image searches left me clueless...

Photo is attached.

Thank you so much for help,
-Peter
IMG-6066.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like it's just a blue variant of the ATN3472C. Tracking force for your cart is about 1.5g, by the way.

See the dot between the words Audio-Technica and Japan? That indicates a conical stylus. On AT's elliptical stylii (for P-Mount cartridges) that dot actually changes to an elliptical shape, so it's easy to see at a glance what type of tip is on there.

For example: https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN3472SE.html

Aftermarket stylii for that cart go all the way up to a Shibata shape (I believe), so there's definitely an upgrade path if you choose to keep the cartridge on there.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the information!
I actually did not know about the dot and ellyptic symbols on the stylus - always learning something new ;-)
Wondering why the blue color though. Plus the stylus itself is black color. This combo does not really show up anywhere on the google image search.

Since the stylus tip looks good under the magnification - I will give it a go over the weekend.
 
P.S.: Iirc, the ATN3482P sported a carbon cantilever instead instead of the alu cantilever of the ATN3472P. So your exemplar would appear to be a blue variant of the former.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Thank you for the information!
I actually did not know about the dot and ellyptic symbols on the stylus - always learning something new ;-)
Wondering why the blue color though. Plus the stylus itself is black color. This combo does not really show up anywhere on the google image search.

Since the stylus tip looks good under the magnification - I will give it a go over the weekend.
The black would likely be an indicator that it’s a carbon tube.
 
Back
Top Bottom